Builds fj40 1/2 xtra cab build (long) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fj40.5 xtra cab soft top build (long)

So i thought i would post my current build of my cruiser. I bought the white '78 40 in December of '04. It had a 4" skyjacker lift, 33's, mostly stock. I took it to Cruise Moab in May of '05. On the way home while flat towing, i either ran over something or ? When i got home i noticed oil under the cruiser and my heart dropped. Upon inspection i found that the front drive shaft, pinion flange, and nose cone from the t/c gone. Tranny and t/c were still in neutral, hubs unlocked.
I called my insurance agent and they sent an adjuster out and found it inconclusive and had me get an appraisal for repairs. Total quote was $5500.00 ! they sent me a check and i started to order parts. I ordered an Orion, detroit, new driveshaft, etc..... Then a call to Metal tech for a family cage, fenders, and stinger..........and so began the obsession...

After wheeling it for a while i really felt the need for better suspension, more wheel base, and get rid of the carb.
I built it into the orange cruiser (Julius) in January '07. Was my first build and i really loved the rig at that point. The wheeling pics are on Helldorado in area BFE, in Moab, and was the maiden run. I ran several events including the Rubicon hall of fame run last year. THAT run was what made me realize i could use more room to hall dogs, and camping gear for extended trips. So i decided to make an extended cab pick up out of my 40.
I have extended the wb from 105 to 114 1/2", extended the frame 32", Built new 1/4 elliptical spring packs, moved the 4 link mounts back 8", extended the control arms from 36" to 39", and fabbed up a 5' bed.
The 3rd pic is the first cut of the build.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=300966&stc=1&d=1235355920
original cruiser.jpg
flexy.jpg
1st cut.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
These pics are of the frame extension using 2" x 3 1/2" x 3/16 u channel i had made up. I also sleeved the inside of the channel with 3" x 1/4" plate seam welded, extending to the oem bend on the frame approx 14". The frame work of the bed is 1 1/2" square .120 wall for the radius bends, and .095 wall for the rest. I welded up the bolt holes in the frame to the 1/4" plate, they are like big rivets.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=301014&stc=1&d=1235360572

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the soft top bows 80% fabbed up (ran short of tubing). The soft top is going to be way cool with side windows (1 ea. side) and a zip out rear window. The plan is to have a soft top on the bed, and have it zip to the front so it will be open to the bed, but fully enclosed when loaded with gear and dogs in tow.
The hood, fenders bib and aprons are in paint right now, the rest of the rig will go in late next week, then the bed. Not too bad time wise, we started on this about January 9th. More pics as we progress. Later.

Mike

Looking Good! you guys going to be in moab again?

I see no need for a top! ;)

Hey Trevor. Moab for sure. I'm TRYING to make the Round up in March :eek:

Wow, you suck. I just about have my 40 built and now I'm trying to figure out how to convince the wife we need to make a damn truck out of it. Thanks.....

Just kidding. Looks great. Can't wait to see it done.

Dude, you chopped off the Crawlorado sticker! :doh:

Whoops, you was'nt posta see dat. I guess you'll have to hook me up with a new one in Moab.

Nice Mike! The photos beat the pictures Paul sends on his phone. Keep the pictures and build posted,
Hugh

Last edited:
One more pic of the skin, and soft top bows coming together. I don't like the straight top line at the back of the Icon fj45 soft top, and no side window. This top hopefully will look kind of like a 40 hard top with the back of the top rounded to match the tub, some what, and a small side window. We'll see.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=301857&stc=1&d=1235621671
skin 1.jpg
skin 3.jpg
skin 4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom