Project: No end in sight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project: No end in sight 1 ton 40 build

So a year and a half ago I decided I wanted a Jeep, so I went looking around and ended up buying a '71 FJ40 (although I knew next to nothing about them) for $2500 from a friend cause I thought it looked cool. I think I probably paid too much. Anyway, the original plans were to make it road worthy and wheel it a little. I started researching and realized that the front end was crap (coarse spline drums) the 3 speed sucked and the motor was garbage (even though it runs good). So here is the start of my build. I guess my biggest problem is that I'm pretty anal retentive and indecisive. It's going to end well I think cause I have a TBI 350, Dana 300 4:1 HD's Twinsticked, Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, 5.38's......but wait a minute I'm getting ahead of myself.........here's the start.
y1.jpg

Last edited:
With the help of Hollar's 4x4 it began to take shape to look like this. This is after a SOA, Shackle reversal, cut and turn, Mini truck disc outers with v6 calipers and FJ60 rotors and a 4x4 labs high steer setup with power steering conversion
y5.jpg

writeup34.jpg

Last edited:
$2500. is not much.

i've seen worse for more :eek:

looking good right now.

NICE!!!!

it looks a lot better since you redid the rear quarter panels. If you need a hand with anything let me know.

With the help of Hollar's 4x4 it began to take shape to look like this. This is after a SOA, Shackle reversal, cut and turn, Mini truck disc outers with v6 calipers and FJ60 rotors and a 4x4 labs high steer setup with power steering conversion
y5.jpg

writeup34.jpg

Anyway, the original plans were to make it road worthy and wheel it a little.

Ummm, this strikes me as funny. So next thing ya know yer running like you are going off road sick...

Just funny how that works out.

Looking good.

writeup34.jpg

It's hard to get the size right cause I'm using am 8meg canon - better or too big?

resize to about 800X600 or 1200X900 is what I normally do

Looking good!

Thanx......you guys like the ghetto bling rims? Got them for something like $300 brand new so I couldn't pass them up to use as rollers. Got the 36" Iroks free, will probably go with 37's or bigger with the tons. Yeah I started with the idea that I'd go slow and build a nice capable rig on 33's and call it good. It only took a couple trips thru the Con in buddies Heeps to "realize" that what I really wanted was a trail rig that I could occasionally drive on the street. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom