FJ ROCKS ARIZONA (FJ Cruiser Team Run) Saturday, June 10th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschaefer3 said:
I am truly sorry some of you had such a bad time. I did the best I could and I will take note of the comments and keep them in mind down the road.

I will not attend or participate in any event or gathering having anything to do with the Copper State Cruisers.

I'm moving on and hopefully the Copper State Cruisers can as well.

That was without a doubt the worst run I have been on in over 6 years of very active wheeling. You guys are not alone in your feelings, I feel the exact same way, your club is not for me and I am very sorry I was there, it will not happen again.

Well. I guess we won't have to worry about a coup :D

Didn't have a "bad" time, some things could have been much better

Sorry for namecalling, uncalled for on my part. :cheers:

sschaefer3 said:
I am truly sorry some of you had such a bad time. I did the best I could and I will take note of the comments and keep them in mind down the road.

I will not attend or participate in any event or gathering having anything to do with the Copper State Cruisers.

That was without a doubt the worst run I have been on in over 6 years of very active wheeling. You guys are not alone in your feelings, I feel the exact same way, your club is not for me and I am very sorry I was there, it will not happen again.

Like what Kevin said about the types of trails the CCC group does, that would be a good enough reason for anyone who is only looking to do the hardcore runs, not to participate in any future CCC runs...hell, I'm not even part of the CCC, I own a Jeep and have had nothing but acceptance on the runs I have been on with them. Would I rather do the more hardcore rockcrawling trails....yes, but still have fun on the less technical runs. I just believe that you get out of a situation what you put into it. If it was a bad situation, then try and live with it and be positive. I've been on runs before that have taken at least twice as long as they should have for the trail because there were so many rigs, but have kept it positive and had made it a good day. I sure the he!! was cussing everyone the next day under my breath though:D

On another note, Steve, if your ever in my area (far east valley) and want to go wheeling some 4+ trails in Florence area, let me know...cause we both like to run the same kinds of trails I think;)

offroader5 said:
On another note, Steve, if your ever in my area (far east valley) and want to go wheeling some 4+ trails in Florence area, let me know...cause we both like to run the same kinds of trails I think;)

Sure thing. I'm the biggest Yellow Belly Ledge whore out there, I even go up the thing several times with different riders each time.

My line was way off here, but nothing a little throttle cound not fix.

I'm just not the guy that should lead new people. I really like Lower Terminator as well. My thing is taking late model trucks through really hard stuff and NOT getting any dents. It's my small thrill in this world.

We took Slee's School Bus through Lower Terminator as well. I did not think an 80 would fit through there.
P1070454a.jpg
P0009392.jpg

I can't thank Scott and Mark (SLOYOTA) for stepping up and leading the 2nd run on Saturday for the rock railless FJs. It turned out to be a great break in trip for the new rig. With the exception of some communication issues (lack of CBs) that cause a few folks to get separated, it was a great day. We ended up back at the Cleator bar in time to see the FJ Team again and have a few cold ones with the other group. Things have a way of working out and I'm glad I was part of that group because I had my son along and we were able to see much more scenery and cover more territory. I think the slow going on DeSoto might not have kept his interest as much. I'd also like to say how much I appreciate the way the CSC members have welcomed the new FJC owners. You guys really seem to have the right perspective on things and I'd be proud to be associated with you. Unfortunately something has come up that will prevent me from making it Friday night but I will look forward to the next trip (hopefully soon). Bman- where do I send my $20?

Here's a post of some pix I took that are on the FJ Forum.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=1&ppuser=1235&sl=o

offroader5 said:
Like what Kevin said about the types of trails the CCC group does, that would be a good enough reason for anyone who is only looking to do the hardcore runs, not to participate in any future CCC runs...hell, I'm not even part of the CCC, I own a Jeep and have had nothing but acceptance on the runs I have been on with them. Would I rather do the more hardcore rockcrawling trails....yes, but still have fun on the less technical runs. I just believe that you get out of a situation what you put into it. If it was a bad situation, then try and live with it and be positive. I've been on runs before that have taken at least twice as long as they should have for the trail because there were so many rigs, but have kept it positive and had made it a good day. I sure the he!! was cussing everyone the next day under my breath though:D

Hey John,it's C...S...C buddy. Hey and Brittan too!

Steve,

You know, I was a little worked up after the PM you sent me and I think I might have come back at you a little harshly in my response. And rather than keep it in PMs out of the eye of the public, I'm gonna put it all out here on the board.

The fact that you can come in here and take your lumps says alot about your character. I would ask that you reconsider a run with CSC members ORGANIZED by CSC members. This run was not your type of thing, that's cool. It wasn't really my type of thing either but I made the best out of it and learned alot. I still couldn't tell you who exactly organized this run. Nor can I tell you exactly how the CSC name was attached to it. But it was and we'll take our lumps for it too. I can promise you that CSC will never put together a run like this with so many new wheelers and not have people lined up to break the group into smaller manageable groups. It was a hard place for you to be, and I can understand your frustration. Hindsight is always 20/20 and there's alot of comments out there on how YOU could have made it a better trip for everyone, but the truh is that it's over. What we all learn from that run on Saturday is the important thing.

Did you have a bad situation on your hands? Hell yes you did. Are you taking all the heat for the "problems" that went down on the trail? Yep, and when I lead a trail I expect to be the one to catch the blame too. Did the pressure get to ya out there and cause you to seem like you cared less than you probably did? My own personal guess on this one is yes, but that's MY OPINION. Would I ever wheel with you again on any other trail? Yup... but I ain't letting you lead me and 60 of my closest friends on a trail that I've never run previously myself. ;) Is that cool?

sschaefer3 said:
Sure thing. I'm the biggest Yellow Belly Ledge whore out there, I even go up the thing several times with different riders each time.

My line was way off here, but nothing a little throttle cound not fix.

I'm just not the guy that should lead new people. I really like Lower Terminator as well. My thing is taking late model trucks through really hard stuff and NOT getting any dents. It's my small thrill in this world.

We took Slee's School Bus through Lower Terminator as well. I did not think an 80 would fit through there.

Ahh yes, Yellow Belly Ledge. I've only had my rig back that far into Martinez once, but have ridden along on other trips. I just don't like the Luge (bypass) at the end is all.:crybaby:

Never run any of those trails in the New River area. Guess I should get my butt over there. Maybe once I get my axles under the rig and some more cage.

OffRoad Rage said:
I can't thank Scott and Mark (SLOYOTA) for stepping up and leading the 2nd run on Saturday for the rock railless FJs. It turned out to be a great break in trip for the new rig. With the exception of some communication issues (lack of CBs) that cause a few folks to get separated, it was a great day. We ended up back at the Cleator bar in time to see the FJ Team again and have a few cold ones with the other group. Things have a way of working out and I'm glad I was part of that group because I had my son along and we were able to see much more scenery and cover more territory. I think the slow going on DeSoto might not have kept his interest as much. I'd also like to say how much I appreciate the way the CSC members have welcomed the new FJC owners. You guys really seem to have the right perspective on things and I'd be proud to be associated with you. Unfortunately something has come up that will prevent me from making it Friday night but I will look forward to the next trip (hopefully soon). Bman- where do I send my $20?

Here's a post of some pix I took that are on the FJ Forum.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=1&ppuser=1235&sl=o

Norm,
Thanks for the kind words. The FJC is a Toyota 4x4, there's no reason we wouldn't accept them as a group. I think I can speak for most of us in saying that the club has been excited to get some FJCs in the club and out on the trail to do some wheeling. Hang on to your money till you can get back out to a club meeting. Phil handles all of the membership stuff and is usually out at the meet with the signup packages. I believe there's a physical address for him on the official club site but I may be mistaken. I'll look for ya.

sschaefer3 said:
I will not attend or participate in any event or gathering having anything to do with the Copper State Cruisers...

Comments from the Peanut Gallery:

The CSC guys ain't half as bad as you make it sound here :grinpimp: , heck, they even let me with my K5 join in on their runs :D . Hope you would reconsider...

Where was Fearless Leader / Run Organizer Shotts in all this?

I would have enjoyed to see the 80 in the Z-turn in person :cool: . I stuck my K5 in there to the point where it wouldn't fit, and it took something like an 18-point turn to back out of it again...:grinpimp:

ChaseTruck said:
Comments from the Peanut Gallery:
The CSC guys ain't half as bad as you make it sound here :grinpimp: , heck, they even let me with my K5 join in on their runs :D . Hope you would reconsider...

I sorta got the feeling that nobody really wanted me to ever show up again, so I was just letting you know that I was not going to show up and screw everything up again.

ChaseTruck said:
Where was Fearless Leader / Run Organizer Shotts in all this?

Well if it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken and smells like chicken.........

"Someone" was requesting to be back to Phoenix by 3:30pm and then Tucson by 5:30pm or so.

This was also the VERY FIRST time I met Brad. Magic Moments for sure. I only joined the AZ TLCA a month or so ago, before that I really only wheeled with my customers. If you saw all of those 4Runners in the back, the 3rd Gen SA'd one, the 2nd Gen SA'd one, the Red One, Big Black Tacoma etc. I built all of thiose trucks and up until a month or so ago, my only wheeling buddies.

Do you have a meeting this Friday @ Sonic, Broadway & Rural. You know that's only 2 blocks east fo me. Blocks, not miles.

YES! Our meet is on Friday night. At the Sonic on Broadway east of Rural.

Come on out Steve and anyone else for that matter. Hopefully you'll get a better feel for what CSC is really all about.

Kumbajah, some reconciliation seems to have been reached :cool: :flipoff2:

we are congratulating with a peanut shower (remotely speaking ;) :popcorn:

y'all have fun at the Sonic; sorry we can't make it. :cheers:

DSRTRDR and ChaseTruck

This was also the VERY FIRST time I met Brad. Magic Moments for sure. I only joined the AZ TLCA a month or so ago, before that I really only wheeled with my customers. If you saw all of those 4Runners in the back, the 3rd Gen SA'd one, the 2nd Gen SA'd one, the Red One, Big Black Tacoma etc. I built all of thiose trucks and up until a month or so ago, my only wheeling buddies.

Yes, come out Steve, I think you will find we are all a bunch of very nice guys/gals. I also had a great day, could have been better, but still had a bunch of fun. The day only got better after "Brad" left!!! My understanding is the reason why AZLCA was almost a non-group, and has just recently started growing again is because of Brad being the pres. in the past. This was why I jumped in with the CSC club in the beginning when I moved back to AZ rather than going back to the AZLCA which I was in 9yrs ago when I lived here. I can't say enough nice things about CSC as a group!! I am a proud member. I think some of the attitude you have gotten from the CSC peps is due to our name being attached to the run when we didn't plan it. Where was Shotts in all this??? I thought this whole thing was his run?!? was I mistaken?

sschaefer3 said:

well hell steve you should see my buddy drive his suburban through:eek:

on a side note, i never met ya. i'm the one that came backwards to meet up late. anyway, come to the sonic meet, or another run sometimes with the CSC. you'll change your mind about us,, (well them)

Last edited:
clarkrw3 said:
I think some of the attitude you have gotten from the CSC peps is due to our name being attached to the run when we didn't plan it.

I didn't plan it either, I had no clue where it was posted or how many people were going to be there. Brandon saw me freaking out when I accidently stumbled on your meeting spot. I was picking my co-ridder up there and you can imagien how surprised I was see so many trucks were there and knowing my 4unner people, FJ Trail Teams and the AZTLC were all still at Mayer. I was just the only guy besides Mark Longfield that knew the way through the trail. I recruited Longfield to help me, I have know him for years. I was a bit lost when he had to go somewhere else.

Also FWIW I first met Phil (Land Cruiser Phil) way back in early 1999. His good friend Pat was the one that tought me alot of what I know now, he trained me well. Myself, Phil & Pat were all in the Roadrunner 4 Wheelers at the time (1999).

I know all too well about running the DeSoto for the first time, in a stock truck and at night is all about.

http://www.roadrunner4wheelers.org/ccnightrun/index.html

WOW! What a day this turned out to be!

#1 is to thank Toyota's FJ Cruiser Trail Team to answer my invitation to Arizona. :beer: to FJ TT!

The Trail Team asked me to promote this trip to attract as many people as possible. Man....50+ vehicles....they got their wish alright.

The attendees were split into 2 groups....2 LARGE groups, which made the typical "socializing" a bit difficult. Group one ran DeSoto and group two hit Mt. Union and Senator Hwy.

So, the day was long for everyone. There was some major damage to one FJ on DeSoto. Other than that I heard issues were fairly light overall. Brush wasn't trimmed as much as we all thought. Bummer on that. Double bummer to a new FJ Cruiser.

#2 is to all whom attended: THANKS for showing up and making this event a HUGE success for Toyota. While most didn't experience the normal "sweet day on the trail" due to the huge crowd, it sure was nice to be a part of such an event!

:beer: to all the attendees!

PICTURES OF THE DESOTO RUN ARE NOW POSTED ON MY WEBSITE:
http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/1559148

If I was not going out of town for the weekend I'd stop by for the CSC meeting...and in the future (this fall) I will definitely plan on attending some runs to meet up with some new wheeling buddies. I dont own a Cruiser, but do have a 4runner and pickup and I too enjoy the bigger rocks.

I was supposed to be @ the Desoto run but unfortunately my engine has some issues otherwise I wish I could have been there to assist as I have run that several times including with Steve and company before.

Great pic of yellow belly Steve! :D
attachment.php

This is what happens when I am behind the wheel instead of the camera at yellow belly...
YellowBsmall.jpg

Brian

Last edited:
There're some great pics in there, and if you weren't there or read through this thread, one might even assume a good time was had by all :) . I just got back from MOAB and a Nissan sponsored event, where I trailbossed Steelbender for 47 trucks. There were moments of uncertainty for some noob drivers, but between myself, my rocking chair, and my tailgunner, we got everyone in and out safely, with no damage, and in short time. That said, leading a group of drivers that size (and varying experience levels) is a daunting task indeed. Afterwards, myself and event organizers spoke about ways to better control the traffic flow and when spotting was necessary, and for whom, among other issues. i.e- too much radio chatter, etc.. No one has developed a tried and true method for what were talking about here; wheeling, spotting, having a good time altogether.. Hell, that's what makes this (or should make it) such a great hobby. Traveling, seeing things, getting tippy to 45*^V, maybe *30<>, sitting around the fire at night, having a beer with your buddies and telling them how you nearly shat yourself when the lev-o-gage hit that *30..:D It's all a learning experience and we can all move on from here, together.
That said, I've wheeled w/ Steve (through Martinez Mine) and he's a great guy who really knows not just his Toyota stuff, but he's a careful, experienced driver (and excellent fabricator) with a lot to share. Any group of drivers should be happy to have him on a trail with them.

:cheers:

sschaefer3 said:

Steve, I hope you reconsider, but if big group club wheeling isn't your thing I understand. I too wheeled for years with a few buddies that I was comfortable with, we would run across club traffic jams on the trail and wonder why people would want to get out of town and sit in a traffic jam on the trail? We tried the club wheeling thing a few times and found it tedious and boring.

Maybe it has to do with age, but now it one of my favorite types of wheeling. It's different than other types of wheeling and requires a different mind set. The mind set that I find to work the best is the one that I use when I'm in the Caribbean and Moma says "today we are going boutique shopping"!:eek: I could get butt hurt and make everybody miserable, or start with a different perspective, like I could be at the shop sweating over someone's impact wrench, so let's find a way to make this fun. With that more laid back perspective I saw that cool fort and meet that dude that runs the micro brew, that I would have never seen if I spent yet another day diving.

For a club run to be fun it takes a different mind set. On the morning of a "normal" run the goal may be something like I'm going to drive my junk into that waterfall until I make it up or run out of spares! For a club run my goal is, I'm going to hit the trail with a bunch of buddies, new and old and have a good time. Are we going to put 60 miles of dirt road behind us to make it to Broken Dog Well like on that expedition run, not likely. The socialization takes priority over the wheeling, time spent BS'in and telling lies with buddies just adds to the fun, like wasting time at the bar. If you spend any time with this group I think you will agree that we have some world class BSers!

We still get some wheeling in and someone (usually me) puts their junk in a spot where it probably shouldn't be or gets us lost and catches grief about it forever. So I'm with Shotts on this one, newbies, heeps, rovers, (they better have thick skin with this group!) under prepared trucks, etc. bring them on! Could more efficient wheeling get done without the "guys in the back" (I prefer to call them buddies!) absolutely. So we had to spot one buddy 17 times, who cares! We didn't make it to the last waterfall, half of the group took the bypasses, again who cares. Is it better that other types of wheeling, who cares! It's not a competition it's about a bunch of buddies hitting the trail and working together to have a good time. :D

So put on your favorite laid back music, I like some Buffet, pull up a chair and listen to Just John's latest yarn, skip some stones in the creek and have a good time, it's always better than work and life is too short to debate what type of wheelin is better! If it's not for you, that's cool too, we will still give you the thumbs up as you blaze past us on your way to that last waterfall!:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom