FJ ROCKS ARIZONA (FJ Cruiser Team Run) Saturday, June 10th (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to every one who made it a good day. I enjoyed myself, even though I was consumed with child care and didn't get a chance to chat much.
Special thanks to Rob who picked up my head rest after seeing it tumble out of my rear window. The man cub was in the back of my Taco and thought it might be fun to throw the contents of the back seat out the window. I told my wife that he "lost" his hat. I thought he would be scared on some of the steep climbs...he just sat in his car seat and laughed. He also loved the cows. Thanks to all for being patient with him and I.
BMAN...thanks for a good spot.
The trail didn't impress me although it would be a good winter day trip to take pictures and do some exploring.
Look forward to doing it again...

There ya are. No sweat on the spot, anytime. Thanks for dropping my Camera with John too. I was hoping you would catch that before you split. Good to meet Porter finally we've got to get him and Lucas together out on the trail. Did he ever nap before you made it back to the 17?

medtro said:
I had a great time. Thanks to my spotters Paul, BMAN and FJ Team. Paul is also the camera man and counter weight trying to keep my 4 wheels on the ground at the end of the day. Pics here.

Nice pics! I really like the one with the FJ40 in it. :D
Thanks Jackson, I didn't think I had any action shots that day.

BMAN said:
There ya are. No sweat on the spot, anytime. Thanks for dropping my Camera with John too. I was hoping you would catch that before you split. Good to meet Porter finally we've got to get him and Lucas together out on the trail. Did he ever nap before you made it back to the 17?

No problem on the camera...when the group split I wanted to make sure you got it back.

Porter crashed while we were stopped for lunch. He was a much better baby after a nap...I'm that way too.

Is that Lucas' 60 in your garage? Damn...now I gotta get something for Porter to keep up with him.:D

In my haste to vent, I forgot to acknowledge the FJ Trails trucks & crew. I had several good conversations with them. And while I didn't drive the FJC, I did had a good view of the one in front. Nice truck. Oh, and really cool SWAG!

Steve did a fine job. The run was WAY overpublicized. Some trip facts:
- Everyone got in and out by the scheduled time. Hell, we were drinking beers in Cleator by 4:30.
- There was no real damage on the trail.
- Everyone had a pretty good day.
- Steve said up front there could be a lot of waiting, and he would push hard to get people through.
- He also said if you aren't experienced or comfortable with your vehicle, you shouldn't go.

I think many people don't remember or were not at the trip meeting up front (see pic).

The trail leader is supposed to show guidance, keep pace, and get everyone out safely. His job is NOT to make someone feel good.

I'd do that trip again, even with all the waiting. It wasn't too hard, but had interesting challenges. By and large, everyone (with some exceptions) had a great attitude and we had a lot of fun.
Trip Meeting.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fine - people can have opinions, even if they are mis-informed. I just find it interesting that all the bashing that went on that day TOTALLY missed who caused the problem - people that, after a stern warning, still over-estimated their capabilities and their rigs capabilities - THEY are the people that held everyone up.

You can wheel with them anytime you want. I'm done. Hope to see you guys out there.

Knowing that a guy is a "****", especially since it was right in front of us...isn't mis-information. Not as though we were told he was like that...we were there. There's no mis-information about it.

"The trail leader is supposed to show guidance, keep pace, and get everyone out safely. His job is NOT to make someone feel good."

... It's one thing to want to push to get the trail done because you know it'll take you into the night if you don't, but it doesn't mean you have to act like a dork. (cleaned up for the sake of everyone)

If you want to debate the events on the trail fine, but no need for name calling.

IMHO, Steve had more trucks and newbies than he could or wanted to deal with. He was told to expect a smaller, more experienced crowd and more showed, that happens. I didn't see any trucks that couldn't make it or weren't setup for the trail. There were some that were less experienced, requiring more time and a few with little patience for newbies. The group could have been split early on or before it started, there were plenty of qualified people there to lead and gun a second group. The more "experienced group" could have moved ahead and the more patent could have hung back to help the newer guys out.

I have been rightly criticized for rushing trails, but have learned that in any big group there will be those who's needs differ. As trail leader their needs have to be respected, if they need additional spotting, then stop and spot them, without insulting or bashing them. The "guys in the back" probably would have moved just as fast or faster without the insults and probably would have suffered less damage if they didn't feel as rushed, for that reason I'm embarrassed that CSC's name was attached to this event. There was no fire, it wasn't getting dark, so there was no reason to rush them, they have the same right to the trail as you "more experienced" guys and believe it or not some of us enjoy helping them.

OH, I'm glad we didn't make you miss your beer date at the bar!:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I elected to go on the "easy" ride due to the size of the crowd even tho my FJ is set up for the trail, and after all the message traffic, I'm glad. Thanks again to the Sloyota!

Lets look at this as a lesson learned and consider group size on runs in the future.

JGM said:
That's fine - people can have opinions, even if they are mis-informed. I just find it interesting that all the bashing that went on that day TOTALLY missed who caused the problem - people that, after a stern warning, still over-estimated their capabilities and their rigs capabilities - THEY are the people that held everyone up.

You can wheel with them anytime you want. I'm done. Hope to see you guys out there.

At your "experience level" your probably better off checking out one of the more hardcore clubs. Our club runs some hardcore trails, but even then everyone is welcome, if they cant drive their rig, they are welcome to ride with others or walk along, shoot pix, learn, etc. This group is willing to stop and help anyone on the trail, with our group or not, no matter what they drive, one of the reasons that I'm proud to be associated with them. I can see where that would put a hurt on your wheeling schedule.

Tools R Us said:
At your "experience level" your probably better off checking out one of the more hardcore clubs. Our club runs some hardcore trails, but even then everyone is welcome, if they cant drive their rig, they are welcome to ride with others or walk along, shoot pix, learn, etc. This group is willing to stop and help anyone on the trail, with our group or not, no matter what they drive, one of the reasons that I'm proud to be associated with them. I can see where that would put a hurt on your wheeling schedule.

Well said Tools!:cheers:

This is one of the many reasons I have also chosen to be a member of this club. Not to mention the overall willingness in wrenching and the helpful knowledge that is exchanged with our club off the trail as well.

Thanks for the level headed leadership Kevin. While I was sitting in the shade of group 1's lunch site you were at the top of the hill, in the heat, acting as a relay between the two groups. I'd think you are in a position to complain the most...and yet I don't hear it.
I don't know Steve. He was short with people and handled things differently than I would have but he was put in a no win situation. I understood that.
As a group lets learn from the experience and try to keep the group size smaller. I know I will be a little more cautious when this type of proposition comes up again.
There was a noticeable difference in wheeling with this group and going on a CSC run with those in the club...big difference...that is what will stand out to me.

Last edited:
I am truly sorry some of you had such a bad time. I did the best I could and I will take note of the comments and keep them in mind down the road.

I will not attend or participate in any event or gathering having anything to do with the Copper State Cruisers.

I'm moving on and hopefully the Copper State Cruisers can as well.

That was without a doubt the worst run I have been on in over 6 years of very active wheeling. You guys are not alone in your feelings, I feel the exact same way, your club is not for me and I am very sorry I was there, it will not happen again.

FJCDriver said:
My pics are up: link

oh, oh, with some many smurf blue FJCs and no memory for names whatsoever, I'll be in deep trouble next time - how do you tell them apart? :flipoff2:

great pics :grinpimp:

sschaefer3 said:
I am truly sorry some of you had such a bad time. I did the best I could and I will take note of the comments and keep them in mind down the road.

I will not attend or participate in any event or gathering having anything to do with the Copper State Cruisers.

I'm moving on and hopefully the Copper State Cruisers can as well.

That was without a doubt the worst run I have been on in over 6 years of very active wheeling. You guys are not alone in your feelings, I feel the exact same way, your club is not for me and I am very sorry I was there, it will not happen again.

I wasn't on the run, I don't know what happened, but I can only say one thing:

loose the hate man, relax !

DSRTRDR said:
I wasn't on the run, I don't know what happened, but I can only say one thing:

loose the hate man, relax !
Howdy! This run has turned out pretty much as I expected, including all the posts on this thread. Anyone that paid attention to the pre-run posts should have seen the writing on the wall. :idea: I figured 4, 5, maybe 6 dozen rigs would show up in Mayer, including a dozen or so brand new $30M 2007 FJ-cruisers, some driven by first-time 4wheelers. I was not surprised by the slowdowns on the trail or the complaints about it from some of the hardcore veteran drivers. By the time we "locked in the hubs" at the trailhead, I did not expect any or all of the group to make it out to Cleator before dark. :frown:

I had reservations overnight in Cordes Junction. I had to take vacation days at work to be sure of the days off. I had my rig loaded and ready for the trip. I had a busted rear driveshaft that I discovered too late to fix for the run. :crybaby: OOps! That's the first time in nearly 20 years that my Piggy has failed me right before a run.:mad: I had a reason to be upset.

But, I found a gracious host,:cool: Rob Clark, who offered me a right seat in his rig. :D Thank You. I rode along, got to see a new trail, met a lot of new folks, and watched a lot of wheeling. I even got to Cleator before dark. I had a good time. I'd do it again, but I would like to drive my own rig next time. I was impressed by the new FJ's. Might have to get one someday.

I think there are several people that need to take a deep breath, step down off their soap box, and relax. :eek: Stop your whinning. It wasn't a prefect day.:whoops: So what! Obviously, some have lost focus of the fact that the trip was called "The FJ Cruiser Run"!

Rant Mode Off.:grinpimp:

John Bricker ( the guy with the rebuilt rear driveshaft)

I thought this was to be a FJ cruiser run to see the new toys. What was with all the rush in the first place? There is a lot of daylight in Arizona even when the group gets over twice the size expected. Some people just need to chill and run with it. I just hope the new offroaders that went along didn’t get to feel too hurried. I would think half the fun is helping new runners see what this great sport has to offer.

JGM said:

Actually those are the people I want to wheel with. I'm out there to have fun, to learn and to teach, because I remember a time when I was that guy who didn't have a clue and certain other more experienced people helped me. Thats what made it fun and the reason I keep coming back. I'm not interested in being on the trail with someone who takes it to seriously or knows everything. Lesson learned on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom