Fitting Of Pyro/egt Gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK,so I'm going to do a bit of back pedalling here.Having been sceptical about the necessity of a pyro/EGT gauge I'm going to bow to the wisdom and advice of the many members of this forum who have fitted one and fit one to my truck.However there are a few points I am unsure of:

1.Where to fit the sensor...pre or post turbo?

2.If fitting pre turbo (to the manifold) is it necessary to remove manifold and turbo first or has anybody fitted one in-situ? Surely any stray metal shavings being blown through the turbo would be a disaster,right?

3.Any recommendations as to which make of gauge to go for? Due to poor availability and high prices over here I'll probably be ordering one from the US.Seen some 'Prosport' gauges which look pretty good.

The truck is a HDJ80 with 1HD-FT by the way.

Thanks for any help.

I like ISSPRO guages.
Try and find some locally if you can.

Read the end of this thread for the model numbers (post #17) I like and where I got them.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104416
They were a good price and I am sure the could ship to England if need be.
If they will not I could buy some and resend it too you.

I put my sensor pre turbo in the manifold. About 2.5cm off center. It HAS to be off center just a bit beacuse the center of the manifold has more material to help deflect exhaust down.

You will also need a tap for the threads.
I can check the exact size for you.
But I remember its a national pipe thread (NPT.)

I installed mine with the turbo in the truck. The majority of the shaving deflect out when drilling.
I asked the guys at Piers diesel about this first. I was hesitant to do this. They said they have done hundreds and never hurt a tubro. They said any shavings fall down through the exhaust side when your not running. Anything left gently comes out at idle when you start it. They told me to start it after and idles it for a few minutes why things work through.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Definitely pre-turbo is the one worthwile to do.

I installed mine with the help of Sheldon while the turbo and manifold were still attached to the engine, and I didn't have any problems with shavings or anything fouling up the turbo.

Sheldon has the same ISSPRO pyrometer installed in his 1HD-T powered 80, and he picked a really good spot for the thermocouple...I don't know if he has the time to take a quick pic of it to post up or not.

I don't have a diesel LC but I have a diesel Yukon. I have read both pro and cons about both locations. I went with post about 12 inches from the turbo. It was quite a bit easier to install. The main difference is that with pre you see a quicker reaction to heat vs. post that has a slight lag and lower temps. The ranges you look at will be different. Not sure on the Toy diesel but on my Yukon pre turbo you are good up to approx 1300 and post turbo about 1100. I also run Autometer Phantom gauges and couldn't be happier.. that is until I get a diesel LC. :)

Towpack said:
OK,so I'm going to do a bit of back pedalling here.Having been sceptical about the necessity of a pyro/EGT gauge I'm going to bow to the wisdom and advice of the many members of this forum who have fitted one and fit one to my truck.

Phil, where do you plan to mount your gauges? Are there custom A-pillar pods for RHD 80s over there?

-Steve

With post turbo, you're just guessing as to how much temperature drop there is in the turbo itself. It could be 200*, it could be 400*. Doesn't sound like much, but if it means the difference between 1200* and 1400* up a long hill, it makes all the difference in the world.

[size=+2]Pre-Turbo.[/size] :D

Hello
Then why do cummins, cat and dietroit diesel mount their sensors post turbo?
If you look at any semi truck you will see it about a foot from the turbo post side
I have never seen one mounted in the exhaust manifold in a semi truck
Could be egineered this way for a reason, because if the sensor tip burns off it will go through the turbo causing damage.
The tips for these sensors are not made of good quality steel.
Just my 2 cents worth.
waaz

waaz said:
Hello
If you look at any semi truck you will see it about a foot from the turbo post side
Could be egineered this way for a reason, because if the sensor tip burns off it will go through the turbo causing damage.
Just my 2 cents worth.
waaz

Thats one of the reasons I mention Isspro.
I remember reading somewhere that Isspro used the best sensors.
The Autometer and others had problems with the tips burning off.
Not to say this could not happen to the isspro, but I thought I would mention it.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks everyone for the advice.
The generel consensus seems to be that fitting pre-turbo is best but I must admit the thought of the tip burning off and going through the turbo is worrying.If I fitted post turbo I could get within maybe 3-4inches of the turbine itself so maybe the temperature difference and lag in response wouldn't be so great?

These are the gauges I have been looking at;

http://www.prosportgauges.com/prosport_gauges-green.htm

Shipping is $20.00

The Isspro gauges are much more expensive but sounds like they are top quality.I may even fit a boost gauge while I'm at it.

Hello Towpack.

Price wise that is a choice for you. I decided when i bought my land cruiser it was going to get treated right. I got the land cruiser because it is top quality, so for me, buying quality, guages, oil, parts, etc, is just part of onwership. So I would just try and make sure the pro-sport guages are of equal quality of the cruiser.

If you ever have to buy a second because the first one broke, you wold of been better of buying the Isspro.
Plus they match the truck very well and do not look out of place.

As for the temps being 3-4 inches behind the turbo. Its the backpressure from the turbo iteslf that cools the gas. So 3-4 inches back or a foot, I don't think the difference would be huge. But with that being said, I would still want it as close as possible.

If you can try and go for the Isspro. If PDR diesel will not ship it to england I will for you.
You could just paypal me, and I could buy it and reship it to you.

Cheers,
Nick

wussyPup said:
Phil, where do you plan to mount your gauges? Are there custom A-pillar pods for RHD 80s over there?

-Steve

Steve,
I haven't found any pillar pods for the 80 yet.There are plenty for other cars (Subarus etc) which probably could be made to fit with some re-profiling but they're a bit on the expensive side to start attacking with a hacksaw/file etc..I may be able to squeeze the gauge(s) in the below dashboard,below the aircon controls just forward of the gearstick.Maybe make up some sort of bracket or mod a univesal fit dashboard mount pod to suit.Space is one thing you don't appear to have an excess of on an 80 dashboard!

Towpack said:
Steve,
I haven't found any pillar pods for the 80 yet.There are plenty for other cars (Subarus etc) which probably could be made to fit with some re-profiling but they're a bit on the expensive side to start attacking with a hacksaw/file etc..I may be able to squeeze the gauge(s) in the below dashboard,below the aircon controls just forward of the gearstick.Maybe make up some sort of bracket or mod a univesal fit dashboard mount pod to suit.Space is one thing you don't appear to have an excess of on an 80 dashboard!

Sorry, I will try and take a pic of my mount.
I know there is lots of people wanting it. :)

A 2 cluster mount fits perfectly below dash infront of the shifter.
You have to take your tunnel cover off to be able to screw it in, but its a great fit. And a strong mounting point. I put it just far enough in that my leg would not hit it.

I put the pyro on the right side. The left is block from the shifter when in park but easily visable when in drive. So I put the pyro on the right so I could always see it. and the boost on the left because I only need to see it in drive.

I thought about mounting over to the left side of the tunnel. But on that angle the back lighting would be visable at night. On a 4 cluster mount would not notice it.

Cheers
Nick

Towpack said:
I haven't found any pillar pods for the 80 yet.

Phil, please let us know if you find any. Otherwise, I'm considering something like this:
Img0001s.jpg

But, I don't know if I have the skills for such a tidy job.

Actually, from my driving position, the steering wheel does block a lot of the gauge cluster and the hood blocks so much forward vision that placing a gauge rack with a baby visor above the dash might be ideal.

-Steve

wussyPup said:
Phil, please let us know if you find any. Otherwise, I'm considering something like this:
Img0001s.jpg

But, I don't know if I have the skills for such a tidy job.

Actually, from my driving position, the steering wheel does block a lot of the gauge cluster and the hood blocks so much forward vision that placing a gauge rack with a baby visor above the dash might be ideal.

-Steve

I'm glad I know you are kidding. :)
Otherwise I might have to drive out and do the install for you! :)
That thing is a freaking mess. :eek:

Last edited:
waaz said:
Hello
Just my 2 cents worth.
waaz

Waaz:

Many people much much wiser than me when it comes to understanding turbo diesel technology have adamantly claimed that the most important EGT reading to have is pre-turbo. Specifically, the guys at Piers Diesel Research in Port Kells. I asked them about the thermocouple probe breaking off and damaging the turbo vanes, and they said that in all the years they have been in business they have never heard of that happening. This is considering that they play with Cummins and Powerstrokes that are fueled and boosted up way more than any Toyota diesel will ever be, putting out several hundred horsepower and a thousand foot pounds of torque. So that's why I believe in the pre-turbo reading, as they have said the post turbo reading is a guess at best unless you have both a pre and post pyrometer hooked up.

Wussypup:

I know who's dashboard that is. :D It's a very famous HZJ75 locally here. :D

nickw said:
Hello Towpack.

If you can try and go for the Isspro. If PDR diesel will not ship it to england I will for you.
You could just paypal me, and I could buy it and reship it to you.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,

Many thanks for your offer.I will contact PDR to see if they will ship to UK.

I have also found Isspro gauges here:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/r3607gr_ev_pyro.asp

They offer international shipping so I have E mailed them regarding charges.What model gauge did you fit?

Phil

Stone said:
I know who's dashboard that is. :D It's a very famous HZJ75 locally here. :D

Do you mean this one?
Img0019s.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting the truck and owner at the Coastal Cruisers' Churn Creek trip this spring. Except when parked, none of us saw much of the 75 other than a blur kicking up dust as it sped towards the horizon...

nickw said:
I am I know glad you are kidding. :)
Otherwise I might have to drive out and do the install for you! :)
That thing is a freaking mess. :eek:

Nick, please do come out, but wait until my Cruiser is back on the road so we can wheel together. :D

When I took the picture of Mike's dash, I too thought it was a mess, but now I just think it is a bit untidy and very practical. The concept is really growing on me. I'm not ready to drill my dash yet, but the idea of having all the important gauges in easy plain view is very appealling.

It seems like there are 5 necessary gauges: pyro, boost, oil pressure, coolant temp, ATF temp, and perhaps a 6th, PS fluid temp becuase of hydraulic winch. A nice row above the dash could look nice.

-Steve

wussyPup said:
Does this look any better?
DashGauges.jpg

I like that better than Mike McT's dash yes!! But then I like stuff to look like it belongs there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom