Temperature Gauge Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm trying to get the temperature gauge working in my 75 BJ40.
The OEM one in the instrument cluster isn't working.
I have an aftermarket oil gauge that works, so I'm good to go for now on that one.

The sending unit is new.
I figure I have three options.
  1. Fix the OEM gauge
  2. Order a 24V electric air core meter (isn't that what the OEM one is?) - I actually found a couple of options for a 24V one, which surprised me.
  3. Get a new sending unit that fits, but is a brass mechanical bourbon sensor, but I'll need to know the size of the fitting.
Of course fixing the OME gauge would be best solution. Temp, Amps and KPH work. I may make that a winter project, but I want to drive it now, and need to know what the water temp is, so 2 or 3 is my short-term answer. The sending unit is new, so that's a point for number 2. But I don't really want to splice the power into an accessory line in the fuse panel if I don't have to do so. Although there may be one from the cluster. So number 3? I like the idea of the brass mechanical and not having to worry about anything electrical for the moment. Does anybody know the size of the sending unit and thread pitch?

Thoughts? What's my best option? I've been driving around too long w/o a temp gauge that works.

Thanks for your input MUDDERS, as always.

Russ

best option-aftermarket
oem one (even working) sucks at best, and is grossly inaccurate and unsafe for actual overheat emergencies
my autometer gauge came with the right bung to screw into the extra blocked off oem thermostat housing hole
of course you need to have a 12v power source , which is cheap and easily solved with a 24 to 12v converter, and you may already have one above the glove box for the stereo

I ended up going with the brass mechanical bourbon sensor.

First P.O. thing that actually worked out. PO had added an aftermarket one previously, but it didn’t work. Replaced with all new gauge and sensor. Sensor screwed right in to POs adapter!

Works great and the ol’ gal cruises along right at 185 degrees
IMG_8985.jpeg

IMG_8983.jpeg

perfect

I recall there used to be a mod on your cluster to make things more sensitive.

maybe there's something similar you can do on your end.

Just a heads-up. The reason the factory ran electrical gauges is because a line or gauge failure in the cabin doesn't spray you with scalding fluids.

@Dougal Only the oil pressure gauge could do what you described. Temp gauge doesn’t have any water in it.

Now, scalding oil spraying everywhere would suck, but that line is in good shape.

I went through a similar thought process recently on my hzj77. The OEM guage was a bit wacky, and I wanted actual numbers instead of a suggestion of how close to overheating I was leaning. 🤣

Mine's a 24v electrical system too. I replaced the sender first just to have a better idea (my dash guage still works)… then bought a mechanical temp guage. I also got an autometer retrofit to put inline in the upper rad hose. My aftermarket guage simply screws into it using the adapters that it came with.

PXL_20230612_194304170.jpg

Of course it doesn't do much until the thermostat opens but once it does, I have a reasonable idea of my water temp. I confirmed with a a laser thermometer and accuracy is very good. It's surprising how much the temperature can change with a barely perceptible swing on the factory guage!

PXL_20230609_161941523.jpg

I have a cheap Glowshift 3in1 it has EGT/Boost/ Temp probe

I use the temp probe for transmission but you can use it for coolant or anything else you want

if you have money to spend and want additional sensors with data logging I would get the banks monster gauge

here is some Banks grandpa stories.

i have to put my vote in for autometer as they are easy to read at a glance so you dont take your attention off of the road,
ie. the sweep and regular running position will be near the same clock position so to quickly check them all, you just glance in a quick pass of the eye,
you can get many different styles from ultra modern to vintage classic and they seem very dependable
and most of the time you can get the same needle color as your OEM cluster as well, sport-comp 2 almost exactly matches the 70 series needles

i have to put my vote in for autometer as they are easy to read at a glance so you dont take your attention off of the road,
ie. the sweep and regular running position will be near the same clock position so to quickly check them all, you just glance in a quick pass of the eye,
you can get many different styles from ultra modern to vintage classic and they seem very dependable
and most of the time you can get the same needle color as your OEM cluster as well, sport-comp 2 almost exactly matches the 70 series needles
I 2nd auto meter gauges. Worth the price. I have a pyrometer that has been reliable for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom