HDJ81 1HDT - Essential aftermarket guages (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what people here would recommend as near essential - I know most would say pyro / boost; anything else? I've seen auto transmission temp as well. Opinions?

Turbo timer, not a gauge but is essential

I'm NOT a fan of the turbo timer. I've seen times when I can shut down shortly after driving and other times when I need to idle down for a longer time to bring temperatures within range for safe shutdown. A turbo timer assumes that the same time works for all situations but frankly it does NOT!

I've got, boost, trans temp and pyro. Although the pyro isn't fully hooked up yet.

Boost is for interest sake but the other two are important, especially when towing etc.

New turbo timers are variable and work on the amount of time you've been on boost in the last 30 minutes. Look at a "ricer" option such as "A'pexi" or a "Blitz" item. Jaycar kits will NOT do. Blitz item doubles as a boost gauge so you can dash mount it and get a digital boost reading.

Other essentials are oil pressure (you've got one in your dash more than likely, but it's not accurate). Exhaust temp (what you people call a pyro), and if you're running an auto, then auto temp. Unless you have a tranny cooler hooked up, then ignore this.

cruiser_guy said:
I'm NOT a fan of the turbo timer. I've seen times when I can shut down shortly after driving and other times when I need to idle down for a longer time to bring temperatures within range for safe shutdown. A turbo timer assumes that the same time works for all situations but frankly it does NOT!

This idea escapes me. Regardless of how long I've been driving with turbo blasting, and that's probably a fair amount of time for everybody, it should take pretty much the same amount of time for the turbo temps to come down at idle, by my way of thinking. Engine temps don't go up beyond the norm unless something's wrong with your cooling setup.

Kalawang

Entaran said:
Engine temps also have nothing at all to do with the turbo temp.

Exactly!!

My engine temperature almost never varies (115F in Phoenix, AZ pulling hills with the A/C running is something that might make it get a little warm). The turbo EGT's on the other hand are all over the place (anywhere from 200F to 1250F pre-turbo) and are related to the load on the engine at that time. The engine can be shut off imediately if the EGT's are 200F but it needs perhaps 1-2 minutes or more of run time if it was at 1250F to get down to 300-350F.

As stated in the other thread, the point of the turbo timer is to keep the fan at the front of the car pulling air through and over the turbine housing of your turbocharger (the bit that connects to the manifold or HOT side). This side needs to be at or below 300-350 F before you hit the kill switch otherwise the turbine housing will crack internally giving you boost creep etc over time as the cracks get worse.

This is not an IF, it's a HOW BAD.

That said, when you wire a turbo timer, wire a killswitch into your handbrake. If the handbrake is released, it should instantly kill the engine (stop theives).

All you guys who have multiple guages installed in your truck, where are you mounting them? I need to get a pyro installed and I'm looking for ideas . . . pictures would be awesome!

Sorry for the thread jack, just thought this could also benifit anyone looking to install guages in their trucks :cool:

Thanks!

jrhaze said:
All you guys who have multiple guages installed in your truck, where are you mounting them? I need to get a pyro installed and I'm looking for ideas . . . pictures would be awesome!

Sorry for the thread jack, just thought this could also benifit anyone looking to install guages in their trucks :cool:

Thanks!

Sorry, I can't remember what truck you have.
An 80 series?

I will try and take a pic of my mount.

Cheers,
Nick

I know Nick had a post about a specific brand of guages. Are there several brands that are particularly good? Anything to avoid? I'm going to get Ciaran to install some guages for me when I take the truck over. Just trying to decide which ones and what brand.

Martin White said:
I know Nick had a post about a specific brand of guages. Are there several brands that are particularly good? Anything to avoid? I'm going to get Ciaran to install some guages for me when I take the truck over. Just trying to decide which ones and what brand.

Isspro has a good name. The only ones I like of Isspro is the inhanced visibility series.

I have the Autometer, and have not had a problem. They have a nice selection of faces. If I had not spent the money already I would have the inhanced visibility series.

hth's

gb

I personally like the Isspro guages (that's what's on my '60, my daughters '55 and they'll be on the '45 as well), they also make 24v gauges as they supply the big trucks as well.
Like Greg says, the enhanced visibility ones that have a green, yellow and red zone on the pyro are nice. You need only glance to see if the pyro is too high.

Yup, I got the Isspro and like it.
Cruiser_guy recommended it to me.

I did some searching, the cheapest place to buy it is Piers Diesel in Surrey.

Here is the website:
http://www.piersdiesel.com/GaugesCDNprice.htm

I got the ISSR3607T-K Pyro and ISSR5613-K boost guage.
Here is a pic of the pyro:
EVPyro1_med.jpg

I still need to take a pic of my mount.
I put mine below dash on a 2 cluster holder.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick, are you copying me??

We'll see you in a few weeks!

nickw said:
Yup, I got the Isspro and like it.
Cruiser_guy recommended it to me.

I did some searching, the cheapest place to buy it is Piers Diesel in Surrey.

Here is the website:
http://www.piersdiesel.com/GaugesCDNprice.htm

I got the ISSR3607T-K Pyro and ISSR5613-K boost guage.
Here is a pic of the pyro:
EVPyro1_med.jpg

I still need to take a pic of my mount.
I put mine below dash on a 2 cluster holder.

Cheers,
Nick

This is a nice one .. ! congrats Nick

So, in attempting to put together a consensus, I come up with Pyro, oil pressure and auto trans temp (ignoring the argument about the turbo timer). Any other guages that should be considered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom