First time poster, potential first time Cruiser owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to start a thread to introduce myself and ask a few questions about an LC I’m considering buying. First off, I live in central MS and currently drive a 2011 Tundra. I’m considering buying an LC (1 owner) from a lady I know. This will not be replacing my tundra or be a daily driver, but a secondary vehicle just to mod a little and kick around in. The particular LC I’m looking at has quite a bit of, uh, “patina”. This is fine by me as I don’t plan to paint it or re-do the interior anytime soon (but may consider it on down the road.) The LC in question is a 2000 with 225,000 miles. It has been parked and not cranked in “a year and a half”. It ran when it was parked, but was parked because “the battery kept running down, I ended up getting frustrated and just stopped driving it.” Possibly just an alternator? Loose belt? This lady has a smaller car as a primary driver due to driving 40 miles one way to work every day (the LC used to be the daily driver hence the mileage). Since it has been sitting and not cranked for so long I’m unsure of how to proceed when I go to inspect it. Should I hook up a battery and try to crank it? Carry a 5 gallon can of gas and study on a way to rig it to bypass the gas currently sitting in the tank of the LC?
The only things she knows that are wrong with it are: Paint, cracks in dash, worn out hood struts, radio doesn’t work, some slack in the steering, tires look good but I don’t know how old they are and may need replacing. and of course the battery issue. Known maintenance aside from oil changes: 12/10 replaced ignition coil #2 and #5, 3/13 replaced belt tensioner, 4/13 ignition coil #3 and #4 and all spark plugs, 9/14 replaced alternator and radiator, 7/18 replaced 2 ignition coils and spark plugs, and somewhere in there the starter was replaced. No mention of timing belt. Is it normal or unheard of to replace that many ignition oils on these motors? This is a lady I’ve known for 15 years or so and trust her to be honest about known issues. I haven’t been to look at the LC yet, but plan to tomorrow. She did send a few pictures. Most importantly, asking price is $2k.
D504BEC3-0F59-437D-9663-590D0DBEC3EC.jpeg

8FED900F-2510-4DEF-8794-52BD8B77DE75.jpeg

6269A9A4-80F8-4EEE-BD03-8C66831B6EC3.jpeg

1337477E-BE9B-4A28-B601-7ABEBC9223CC.jpeg

48AF929B-203D-4615-B16B-BD72633F0763.jpeg

You could your money back from parting it out. Good deal. Just bring enough fresh gas to dilute the old.

Do a search on here for parasitic battery draw - lots of good info. Usually the BAT fuse. Which leads to a bunch of stuff. Mine ended up being the CD changer.

I’d also check the connections right off the battery. I replaced a battery and alternator in the end it was a thick thread plastic spacer that was backing off making a loose connection.

congrats and looking forward to this.
Picked her up today. As you can see, there wasn’t much room to spare on the trailer I borrowed.
669CA60E-AE72-4F79-BFE2-F3178287F79E.jpeg
Looked like this on both the driver’s and passenger’s side.
45F62011-7923-4A41-91E8-989B1C77F3E4.jpeg

Loading her up without being able to start it up made things interesting, but we got it done in the end.

After getting home and unloading her I pulled the battery out of my CJ7 to see what I was working with mileage wise. Turns out there is 250,350 on it. There was half a tank of gas in the tank so I poured in a bottle of HEET, crossed my fingers, and turned the key…. She fired right up! Idled smooth, no smoke, temperatures and pressure looked good, so I couldn’t resist hopping in and taking her for a spin. Drove a few miles down the road and came back. A little shaky/wobbly, but not terrible. Maybe the old tires, maybe worn suspension components, maybe something else? I noticed after getting home there is a power steering fluid leak. I’ll dive into it later and see where the issue is. I also noticed the rear driver’s side door latch doesn’t engage to hold the door shut. I’m sure there‘s a thread here somewhere addressing that, so it shouldn’t be a big issue.
Air blows cold, heat blows hot, windows work (with the exception of the sunroof). Overall for $1,500, I’m pleased as punch. My free time is limited so I’ll work on things as I can, but I’m looking forward to digging into the forum to address any problems that come up..
FE8C1E58-FA5E-48A6-8A9C-B5DB9B15B412.jpeg

Yeah, those tires would shake and wobble after not being driven for that long.
You found a bargain. Replace the heater tees before they cause a problem. Then the other usual maintenance when you can.

Yeah, those tires would shake and wobble after not being driven for that long.
You found a bargain. Replace the heater tees before they cause a problem. Then the other usual maintenance when you can.
Heater tees are definitely on the list. Is there a preferred brand to use?

Heater tees are definitely on the list. Is there a preferred brand to use?
OEM Toyota Ts unless you want to use metal. Easy search for what guys have used.

The 2000 MY (at least as represented in this forum) has unusually high instances of transmission problems/failures. Just something g to keep in-mind.

Second on OEM heater tees. Was talking with the guys at Slee. What they have seen is when people put metal ones in they never get inspected again. And those hoses should be. Slee’s recommendation is to replace the T’s every time you do the timing belt (90k) and do those heater hoses every other time (180k).

Last edited:
Replace the heater tees before they cause a problem.
One came out looking like a heater L.
C12DA1D1-6322-49E9-B3DA-C9233DB24F45.jpeg

At that point I decided to pull the hose and get the missing piece(s) out with some needle nose pliers. It looked like I got them all, but blew the hose out with compressed air for good measure.
48931656-9898-4E41-AE47-385D782EF906.jpeg

She cleans up ok.
A5D32619-ACFF-4562-8C72-1558A9161AF7.jpeg

I always thought that a clean truck drives better. Ih8mud!

What a find! Congrats.

I’ve got a question about the security system/key fob lock. I’ve searched but don’t know exactly what to call it. On the other Toyota vehicles I’ve owned when I lock the vehicle from the key fob I get a “beep” (not from the horn) to let me know the doors are locked. Would this be the same for the 2000 LC, because mine does not do that. If it is supposed to beep is there a fix, or what do I search for on the forum to find how to fix this issue? I’m sure its out there, I just don't know how to search for it.

I’ve got a question about the security system/key fob lock. I’ve searched but don’t know exactly what to call it. On the other Toyota vehicles I’ve owned when I lock the vehicle from the key fob I get a “beep” (not from the horn) to let me know the doors are locked. Would this be the same for the 2000 LC, because mine does not do that. If it is supposed to beep is there a fix, or what do I search for on the forum to find how to fix this issue? I’m sure its out there, I just don't know how to search for it.

The beep is an LX thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom