First foray into a vintage Cruiser....1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some new bits are in and installed. Got the clutch and brake pedal covers recommended, new rear wiper and and new air cleaner for the weber carb.

Next on the list:
  • New rear bumper (leaning towards a 4x4 labs with tire swing)
  • rock sliders (thinking white knuckle)
  • roof rack (dunno know which one I want yet.)
  • passenger window weather strip replacement (any recommendations on best place to source this would be appreciated)

Some new bits are in and installed. Got the clutch and brake pedal covers recommended, new rear wiper and and new air cleaner for the weber carb.

Next on the list:
  • New rear bumper (leaning towards a 4x4 labs with tire swing)
  • rock sliders (thinking white knuckle)
  • roof rack (dunno know which one I want yet.)
  • passenger window weather strip replacement (any recommendations on best place to source this would be appreciated)
It's so hard to resist adding all that weight. I often miss the lighter early days when my 60 was new to me. But the trails around here encouraged me to add some armor. The rear bumper takes the most abuse, I'm always scraping it.

It's so hard to resist adding all that weight. I often miss the lighter early days when my 60 was new to me. But the trails around here encouraged me to add some armor. The rear bumper takes the most abuse, I'm always scraping it.

I also need somewhere to mount my spare tire. With the 40 gal long haul tank where the spare is supposed to mount under the truck, the spare rides in the cargo space. I looked at a hitch mount carrier, but they're almost as much as a new bumper.

I also need somewhere to mount my spare tire. With the 40 gal long haul tank where the spare is supposed to mount under the truck, the spare rides in the cargo space. I looked at a hitch mount carrier, but they're almost as much as a new bumper.
Absolutely. Some carry the spare on the roof rack but that is bad idea IMHO. Swing out tire carrier is the best option for me. I have another swing out for a water cooler or a propane tank on the other side. It's nice having the water there. The weight adds up quickly.

Sharp truck with some really favorable mods already done (I'm green with envy of those Hutchinson's). You've got a really good group of Cruiserheads all around you in the STLCA, and several might literally be your neighbors (@Tennessee80 @tone33). I strongly encourage you to tie in with them. Huge resources there.

It really is an addiction. I started with 1 rusty 60. I now have...more...lol. I'm working my way towards @CenTXFJ60's collection :beer:

Last edited:
Soooo....more to this story. I’m just a moron and don’t know what I’m doing. Thought I had a Weber 38, but it’s a Weber 32/36. Will attempt to destroy my truck by working on it again tomorrow. :/
Welcome to the madness lol! I have a weber 38 DGAS that came on my 40 when I bought i last year. I just finished rebuilding myself using a kit I got from Pierce Manifolds out in CA, and I'm certainly no expert. I found that the jets or screws (or something, it was several pieces, cant remember) were mostly clogged, and after a little carb cleaner and air they cleared right out. It's easy enough to take apart and put back together, replacing gaskets and orings. Carbs are not that complicated, just lots of little parts, take your time and be careful not to mar the soft aluminum. It's good to understand how they work so you can tune appropriately as the weather, or your altitude changes, or for troubleshooting other issues down the road. Try to find a video of a tear down and rebuild that someone has put up. I know there's one on youtube for the 38, but not sure how different that is from your 32/36.

Sharp truck with some really favorable mods already done (I'm green with envy of those Hutchinson's). You've got a really good group of Cruiserheads all around you in the STLCA, and several might literally be your neighbors (@Tennessee80 @tone33). I strongly encourage you to tie in with them. Huge resources there.

It really is an addiction. I started with 1 rusty 60. I now have...more...lol. I'm working my way towards @CenTXFJ60's collection :beer:
Thanks for the shout out Zach!

We're hosting a Music City Cruisers and Coffee event April 10 in Nashville. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere on here about it. @ukaviator you got a link?

And yea, I started with an 80, 11 years ago, got a 100 4 years ago, and a 40 1 year ago. Haven't sold any so far, but I'm about at my limit!

Thanks for the shout out Zach!

We're hosting a Music City Cruisers and Coffee event April 10 in Nashville. I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere on here about it. @ukaviator you got a link?
Heres the link:

Wow @zachbass02 that is a sweet 60. 2 of us here in Nashville also DD a 60 series. Come along to the meetup if you can, would be great to put face to name!

AWESOME!!!! @Zjohnsonua @tone33 @ukaviator I will definitely do my damnedest to make it to the meet up on 4/10. Sounds awesome! And thanks also for reaching out and the heads up. This site is a massive wealth of information and everyone has been so awesome on here.

So, I think the carb is fine, but I just need to get it adjusted properly for my ride. The latest issue was the master cylinder and booster took a dump on me. The other night, heading to dinner, brake pedal went nearly to the floor and had to pump it several times to get pressure back. Looked like they were original (or at least really old) and have it at the shop to get that fixed. That job was a little more than I wanted to tackle at this time. The only real thing that I want/need to get sooner than later is some way to carry my spare that's not just tossing it in the cargo space. Leaning towards getting a hitch mount carrier for now, until I decide if I want to add the weight of a bumper setup just yet. I really like the look of the factory bumper.

AWESOME!!!! @Zjohnsonua @tone33 @ukaviator I will definitely do my damnedest to make it to the meet up on 4/10. Sounds awesome! And thanks also for reaching out and the heads up. This site is a massive wealth of information and everyone has been so awesome on here.

So, I think the carb is fine, but I just need to get it adjusted properly for my ride. The latest issue was the master cylinder and booster took a dump on me. The other night, heading to dinner, brake pedal went nearly to the floor and had to pump it several times to get pressure back. Looked like they were original (or at least really old) and have it at the shop to get that fixed. That job was a little more than I wanted to tackle at this time. The only real thing that I want/need to get sooner than later is some way to carry my spare that's not just tossing it in the cargo space. Leaning towards getting a hitch mount carrier for now, until I decide if I want to add the weight of a bumper setup just yet. I really like the look of the factory bumper.
Turn your idle mixtures screws all the way in and then back off 1.5 turns and see if that helps.

soft brake pedal is master cylinder. Hard brake pedal is booster. I’d be surprised if both went out at the same time.

every time I’m close to making the big purchase of a rear bumper w swing out I end up buying another cruiser instead 🤦‍♂️😂. A roof rack and throw it on top would be another option for you. Although I don’t like that as a long term solution I’ve had mine on the roof of the 80 for about 8 years now (but hey who’s counting??)

Turn your idle mixtures screws all the way in and then back off 1.5 turns and see if that helps.

soft brake pedal is master cylinder. Hard brake pedal is booster. I’d be surprised if both went out at the same time.

every time I’m close to making the big purchase of a rear bumper w swing out I end up buying another cruiser instead 🤦‍♂️😂. A roof rack and throw it on top would be another option for you. Although I don’t like that as a long term solution I’ve had mine on the roof of the 80 for about 8 years now (but hey who’s counting??)
I'll adjust the carb when I get it back form the shop. It runs fine, but they had the idle adjusted up 1000 to compensate for the AC when its running. At idle at 1000 rpm without the AC, the AC drops it to 750 rpm at idle when it's on. The truck diesels and sputters for a second occasionally when I shut it down, but someone recommended dumping the clutch in 4th to kill it. =)

The gasket on the back side of the master went bad and filled the booster with brake fluid is what they told me. I'm hoping that they get it finished today.

I def want a roof rack, but don't know if add any more height if it'll fit in the barn I park it in. HA! Need to go measure the door height, but a roof rack of some sort is something that I've had my eye on too.

Anyone on here from Brentwood, TN driving a badass grey with blue paneling FJ62? Passed that truck while I was out on the bike today and damn near pulled a U turn to follow it. Gorgeous truck if ti belongs to anyone on here.

It runs fine, but they had the idle adjusted up 1000 to compensate for the AC when its running. At idle at 1000 rpm without the AC, the AC drops it to 750 rpm at idle when it's on. The truck diesels and sputters for a second occasionally when I shut it down, but someone recommended dumping the clutch in 4th to kill it. =)

So the truck runs at 1000 when the AC is off, and when you turn it on it drops down to 750 because of the strain of the AC being on?

So the truck runs at 1000 when the AC is off, and when you turn it on it drops down to 750 because of the strain of the AC being on?
Correct. The weber doesn't have a kick up solenoid is how it was explained to me. I was told that they set it like that to compensate for the AC at idle.

That's how it should work. There's a way to install your own idle up solenoid, but it's a custom deal. Effective though. MG owners figured it out.

In the mean time, I'd say bring that unloaded idle down, The engine will pull the A/C just fine down to around 600rpm.

Last edited:
That's how it should work. There's a way to install your own idle up solenoid, but it's a custom deal. Effective though. MG owners figured it out.

In the mean time, I'd say bring that unloaded idle down, The engine will pull the A/C just fine down to around 600rpm.

Awesome! I'm a MG and Cruiser guy, lots of good info from MG Exp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom