First FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

Just purchased this 1972 FJ-40 from a friend who took it in on trade at his dealership. I am not the most mechanically inclined, but have friends who are and willing to help. Still, can anyone recommend a shop in the Wilmington, NC area that is known to have experience with this vehicle for those jobs outside our skill set. Some info on my new love, numbers indicate an 05/1972. I believe she has the original motor and is a three speed. She runs strong but needs a lot of love. What you see in the pics is what I got. Paid $6500.00.
Side.jpg

Electronic ignition & change your fuel filters often if the original fuel line is still being used, modern fuel blends will erode the old rubber lines, til the tiny pieces get in the vacuum ports of your carb. Maybe check for drivetrain lash. If its already running strong, drive & learn as you go

PS: please don't put a light bar on it :beer::beer:

Prepare to become obsessed. Nice score from the looks of it. Remember the brakes are not self-adjusting so get familiar with the process off doing it every now and then. My recommendation would be to focus initially on the brakes and steering, ensuring both are up to speed. Then focus on one thing at a time, learning as you go, and slowly overhaul what you can and get help for the things you can’t.

Welcome to the club!

Both shafts that turn the wiper blades are splined. You can remove a nut holding the passenger blade arm, wiggle it off, and re-set the arm so the wiper blade is closer to the windshield seal.

Is the rear seat a Con-ferr?:cheers:

Frame looks good, minimal surface rust at the most in some spots. The body is a different story, going to need to weld in some repairs. Thank god i have a friend who is a retired master chief with 25 years welding experience. Best I could do is with my cigar lighter.

Good looking 40!

Nice truck! The tires appear to be from the Neolithic era, so you might not want to drive far or fast until you replace them.

I think you have troll hole cruisers as a shop somewhere in the Carolinas. Cruiser shops are few and far between. Roll cage that's been added to the factory roll bar looks pretty crappy and probably worth cutting off of the factory bar and removing. Metal tech makes nice legit cage kits if you want to go beyond the safety of the factory roll bar. Suspension looks like it was modern for 1978 lol. It's definitely a time machine. Overall looks like a nice cruiser though. I would first start by going through the brakes and making sure the suspension is half way safe although obviously very old.

You can get in touch with Marshall- Trollhole on mud at Trollhole Cruisers. He is located in Mauldin, SC.

You also have Stan at Hardline Fabrication Service in Chesnee, SC.
Hardline Fabrication Services | 864.590.0051

Both shops are well respected.

PS: Previous owners do some really stupid crap. I have never seen a radio antenna mounted on the tub before. It usually is on the cowl.

Last edited:
One of the Retarded PO's of my rig drilled a hole thru the cowl to install a hokey "Firestick" antenna, can't fix stupid!

I think you have troll hole cruisers as a shop somewhere in the Carolinas. Cruiser shops are few and far between. Roll cage that's been added to the factory roll bar looks pretty crappy and probably worth cutting off of the factory bar and removing. Metal tech makes nice legit cage kits if you want to go beyond the safety of the factory roll bar. Suspension looks like it was modern for 1978 lol. It's definitely a time machine. Overall looks like a nice cruiser though. I would first start by going through the brakes and making sure the suspension is half way safe although obviously very old.

None of that roll bar/roll cage is factory. Roll bar looks like a Smittybuilt, commonly used on pre 74s.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the insight. Tires and brakes are first on the agenda. I live 25 minutes from Freeman Park outside of Wilmington, NC and another 15 minutes south is a second beach that you can 4x4 on. Bought her as a beach buggy as wife and I go frequently (right now in my Dodge 1500 - this will be much better.) My thoughts are over this year is to add electronic distributor, disc brakes, replace shocks and fuel lines and add proper roll bar. I think a new muffler is in the picture as well. Following year she'll get power steering, and possibly a 4 speed transmission. I'll probably have one of the shop is SC do the power steering and 4-speed, if they give me a decent deal, might just do them at the same time. Run the engine until it will run no longer and then decide on it's replacement. Let me know if I'm missing anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom