First Car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our hj60 has been with our family since 1990. Since then, it is still running strong. Common repairs is hub bearings, bushes, knuckle rebuilds. Less common repairs is power steering box repair, transfer case rebuild, ujoint replace and brake booster replace. Looking at its age, this is common for repairs. Looking at its condition now, i am confident it will outlast many cars out there. As your first car, there will be bound to be many adventures with your rig as this has much potential as a tourer. However, as these vehicles need slightly extra love, a basic level knowledge about diesel engines as well as suspension systems is needed. This is definitely "learnable". If you have the love for adventures and 4 wheel drives as well as the passion for hj60s, the HJ60 is for You.

@lo0p5

Personally, I would look for an HJ61. That 12HT, turbo diesel engine is awesome and you won't be completely stuck in the slow lane. All the land cruisers from that time period are "simple" to work on. Very little electronics and just some time in a manual will have you able to rebuild whatever you may need.

I also would buy the best "shape" one you can find. Unless you are a body man, rust repair, you could have a TON of money in rust repair.

Maybe I'm biased...but I will always like a Land Cruiser for a first car...that said
And some unsolicited opinion...if It were me and I lived in Australia and had that budget, I'd be looking at the 70 series as well. No more complicated to work on than a 60 series, more of them to choose from and I would guess a larger aftermarket as well. I personally like the BJ74/HZJ73/BJ73. Almost the room of a 60 series but you can pop the top off when you want to drive topless :) Ok I am biased!

Good luck!

I was in your exact situation 6 years ago now and brought a cruiser as my first car, a HJ47. You will, most likely, have the coolest vehicle of any of your school mates. I will say 2 things:

My idea of the ultimate landcruiser for me and my needs changed after I left school, so don't waste your money on your first one like I did

Don't stray too far from original with your build. You will kill the resale. Suspension and tires aside. As rust free and as low km as you can find under 7k for a hj60 imho.

Enjoy it and remember, nothing is ever perfect. The only other lesson that you should find out about early on, is the "that's cheap" or the "that's expensive" head will rear it's self. I'm now firmly mostly always buying less, buying better.

I've been hearing a lot about the hj47, they seem to be one of the most popular on this forum..

Our hj60 has been with our family since 1990. Since then, it is still running strong. Common repairs is hub bearings, bushes, knuckle rebuilds. Less common repairs is power steering box repair, transfer case rebuild, ujoint replace and brake booster replace. Looking at its age, this is common for repairs. Looking at its condition now, i am confident it will outlast many cars out there. As your first car, there will be bound to be many adventures with your rig as this has much potential as a tourer. However, as these vehicles need slightly extra love, a basic level knowledge about diesel engines as well as suspension systems is needed. This is definitely "learnable". If you have the love for adventures and 4 wheel drives as well as the passion for hj60s, the HJ60 is for You.

The hj60 certainly sounds like a great car

I've been hearing a lot about the hj47, they seem to be one of the most popular on this forum..
Here you go. I say go the HJ60/61 and have fun!

IMG_20171225_073056.jpg

@lo0p5

Personally, I would look for an HJ61. That 12HT, turbo diesel engine is awesome and you won't be completely stuck in the slow lane. All the land cruisers from that time period are "simple" to work on. Very little electronics and just some time in a manual will have you able to rebuild whatever you may need.

I also would buy the best "shape" one you can find. Unless you are a body man, rust repair, you could have a TON of money in rust repair.

Maybe I'm biased...but I will always like a Land Cruiser for a first car...that said
And some unsolicited opinion...if It were me and I lived in Australia and had that budget, I'd be looking at the 70 series as well. No more complicated to work on than a 60 series, more of them to choose from and I would guess a larger aftermarket as well. I personally like the BJ74/HZJ73/BJ73. Almost the room of a 60 series but you can pop the top off when you want to drive topless :) Ok I am biased!

Good luck!

Haha thanks for the help

do it, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. no seriously, working n learning on what ever you decide on will teach you something too many kids have no friggin' idea about... self reliance. also , if at least 1/2 that 15k was earned n saved up by you, my hat's off to you
oh by the way, seeing as no one's given you the official mud welcome, here ya go... welcome to mud :flipoff2: are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole?

About a month ago I bought a ‘83 BJ 60 as my first vehicle. (I’m 21)
It has its issues and it isn’t all that I hoped it would be, but - it is fun to drive, I’ve learned more about vehicles than the average driver & I have the satisfaction of having worked on (and partially assembled) the vehicle I’m driving.
The advice to take your time, I think, is excellent. I somewhat rushed into purchasing mine (trying to buy for a trip) and I feel like I could have found a slightly better one for the price.
All that said it is a solid vehicle, I’m confident it will get me places, and I can fix almost anything on the vehicle. No, it doesn’t drive like a modern vehicle, it is big, and slow.
But it is a Cruiser. :)
Best of luck

do it, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. no seriously, working n learning on what ever you decide on will teach you something too many kids have no friggin' idea about... self reliance. also , if at least 1/2 that 15k was earned n saved up by you, my hat's off to you
oh by the way, seeing as no one's given you the official mud welcome, here ya go... welcome to mud :flipoff2: are you sure you want to go down this rabbit hole?

Haha thanks mate, I've been working like hell to try and save as much as possible for my first car

About a month ago I bought a ‘83 BJ 60 as my first vehicle. (I’m 21)
It has its issues and it isn’t all that I hoped it would be, but - it is fun to drive, I’ve learned more about vehicles than the average driver & I have the satisfaction of having worked on (and partially assembled) the vehicle I’m driving.
The advice to take your time, I think, is excellent. I somewhat rushed into purchasing mine (trying to buy for a trip) and I feel like I could have found a slightly better one for the price.
All that said it is a solid vehicle, I’m confident it will get me places, and I can fix almost anything on the vehicle. No, it doesn’t drive like a modern vehicle, it is big, and slow.
But it is a Cruiser. :)
Best of luck

Cheers mate, good luck with your cruiser - but it sounds like you've got it all under control!

If you can swing a HJ61, the 12HT is one of Toyota's greatest diesels ever.

The HJ47 is cool, but a 60 is a massive step up in comfort and drivability with power steering and air conditioning, but once you drive a 40, it's in your blood and can't get rid of the itch.

If you can swing a HJ61, the 12HT is one of Toyota's greatest diesels ever.

The HJ47 is cool, but a 60 is a massive step up in comfort and drivability with power steering and air conditioning, but once you drive a 40, it's in your blood and can't get rid of the itch.

Well said, maybe I'll go that direction though it's still more likely for me to be hopping into a hj60.
I dont mind being a bit slower than other cars, the main thing is that it gets me from point a to b and the fact that it's an awesome 4bie is a sweet bonus.
As well as the opportunity to get my hands greasy on some auto parts!

Thanks for the reply, I love the reliability of an old Toyota Landcruiser. Just one question regarding gvm... what kind of gvm issues have you been having?

not just me - I would think everyone with a 60 (and most 4x4’s)
From memory my hj61 weighed in at just over 2300kg, and the gvm is somewhere between 2800 and 2900. Add a full tank of fuel (I have 190L and it was nearly empty when weighed), camping gear, 4 people and an Engel And you are there. Hitch a trailer up and you are over...
Mine is light too compared to a lot getting around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom