Fire Extinguisher Mounted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My concern would be that an automobile accident or trail mishap could very easily make access to rear drawers impossible. Easy example—rear impact and wedged into a vehicle in front. Drawers are not gonna open tailgate is blocked (or damaged shut).

i do have another in back, but wouldn’t want my only extinguisher to be dependent on an intact rear...
That's a good point. Maybe I'll relocate it somewhere more easily accessible.

Just some additional food for thought on these points. In the event that your battery is dead there's no way to open the rear hatch and access your drawers if that's where your tools are kept. One time on a trip I came out to a dead vehicle but it turned out that washboard roads had loosened the connection to the battery. I had to physically put pressure on the terminals with my hands while my wife popped open the hatch. It wouldn't have mattered if the battery was actually dead and then I wouldn't even have had access to the tools I'd need to swap in the aux battery in a pinch.

Moral of the story: leave yourself a multitool or small set accessible without getting into the hatch. Also, don't put your jump starter in the drawers :)

Just some additional food for thought on these points. In the event that your battery is dead there's no way to open the rear hatch and access your drawers if that's where your tools are kept. One time on a trip I came out to a dead vehicle but it turned out that washboard roads had loosened the connection to the battery. I had to physically put pressure on the terminals with my hands while my wife popped open the hatch. It wouldn't have mattered if the battery was actually dead and then I wouldn't even have had access to the tools I'd need to swap in the aux battery in a pinch.

Moral of the story: leave yourself a multitool or small set accessible without getting into the hatch. Also, don't put your jump starter in the drawers :)

Great point about the hatch and batteries. That happened to me as well . Not the battery... but something weird with one swingout that preventing access.

I seriously dislike the dependence of battery yo release the rear hatch. Seems like there’s gotta be a way to install a manual lever. UnfortunTely the mechanical movement is entirely shrouded by the motorized release...

Thought I'd post another "Wheelchair Mod..." -This one for quick access to an extinguisher:

View attachment 1364197

If you have short & tall drivers...this might restrict how far forward you can slide your seat (though you can take the extinguisher off if you absolutely MUST slide it way forward. It uses the mounts that come with various extinguishers, so if this larger one I have mounted is too big, you can always mount a thinner or shorter one. So far, I'm pretty happy with this setup. Heck, if you had a fire after a bad collision, you might even be able to flip the rubber hose upward and flood a cab fire without even removing it from the base...

Made by these guys:

CLICK: Home

Photo from their site:

View attachment 1364201

Markuson

I tried this mount but the seat mounts on my 2013 are two different heights. Were yours the same?

I tried this mount but the seat mounts on my 2013 are two different heights. Were yours the same?

My two front driver-seat bolts are the same height, if that’s what you mean.

In the inside, in the center of the lower hatch panel there is an emergency access plate to open the rear hatch. .. I've see people putting "cargo" lights there and removing the emergency hatch.

In the inside, in the center of the lower hatch panel there is an emergency access plate to open the rear hatch. .. I've see people putting "cargo" lights there and removing the emergency hatch.

Interesting, that's great to know. Unfortunately, I don't think there's access to that when drawers are in the back (at least Trekboxx).

Bumping this thread with question to folks with 5 lbs. at the foot of the driver seat. Happy with the mount/size in that location?

Thinking about H3R mount, probably with a Buckeye unit w/hose. The question is 2.5 vs. 5.0. I will carry Element as a backup.

EDIT: Buckeye has different diameter, won't that bracket.

Last edited:
I would just carry the Element 100 or better yet 2 of them (front and rear)..
if you need them, you really need them..
If you need more than 50seconds of burn time you've got bigger things to worry about..

True.. been near/helping during a few transmission line rupture fires.. the 2.5 and 5lb charged ones were a joke we went through 4 or 5 of them basically everything everyone had.. an E100 put it out finally.. but that only really saved the forest, the truck was already toasty..

True.. been near/helping during a few transmission line rupture fires.. the 2.5 and 5lb charged ones were a joke we went through 4 or 5 of them basically everything everyone had.. an E100 put it out finally.. but that only really saved the forest, the truck was already toasty..
The typical extinguisher you'd carry in a car are super quick on spray time! I've had to use an e50 and it burned for at least an extra 30-40 seconds after putting the fire out. That's why I realized 50sec is A LOT of time when you're putting a fire out

Anyone know how long the shelf life is for the Element fire extinguishers?

Anyone know how long the shelf life is for the Element fire extinguishers?

According to the manufacturer:

DOES ELEMENT REQUIRE SERVICE & DOES IT EXPIRE?
Element's solid construction, no moving parts, and lack of compressed gas (unlike a traditional fire extinguisher) means it will never need any service or upkeep. In addition the solid chemical that makes up the Element extinguisher has no effective expiration.

(Source: Element E50/100 FAQ Page)

HTH

According to the manufacturer:

DOES ELEMENT REQUIRE SERVICE & DOES IT EXPIRE?
Element's solid construction, no moving parts, and lack of compressed gas (unlike a traditional fire extinguisher) means it will never need any service or upkeep. In addition the solid chemical that makes up the Element extinguisher has no effective expiration.

(Source: Element E50/100 FAQ Page)

HTH

My problem with the element is that if you need to hit a fire that is NOT in an enclosed space, or in a windy situation...or where you only have a small space to aim through to get at a source....I’d wager the “cloud” idea is gonna have a really hard time dousing the flame. I think its a great concept, and in some scenarios it would be great, but I would also want an extinguisher that can “shoot” at significant distance at a specific spot.

The breathable part of tge element DOES make sense to me for a car you’re briefly trapped in.

My problem with the element is that if you need to hit a fire that is NOT in an enclosed space, or in a windy situation...or where you only have a small space to aim through to get at a source....I’d wager the “cloud” idea is gonna have a really hard time dousing the flame. I think its a great concept, and in some scenarios it would be great, but I would also want an extinguisher that can “shoot” at significant distance at a specific spot.

The breathable part of tge element DOES make sense to me for a car you’re briefly trapped in.

I look at it the same way I look at my personal defense weapons. I use my handgun for immediate action and to fight my way to my rifle. I would use the ELEMENT E50, 2 of which are always within arm's reach of the Driver's seat, for immediate use in the passenger compartment to be dropped and left in place while I go around to the rear cargo area and retrieve one or both of the 2.5Lb "real" extinguishers I have back there.

As always, "Two is one, and one is none." I would not be comfortable riding with just the ELEMENT E50's.

HTH

I look at it the same way I look at my personal defense weapons. I use my handgun for immediate action and to fight my way to my rifle.

I need to know where you are located where this is required so that I can avoid visiting.

I agree totally on the E50s. For awhile I was running with just the two E50s in the front, but it just felt wrong not having a canister as well. I now carry a basic 2.5 canister in the back.

ideally I’d like to find something suitable for mounting on the exterior of the vehicle, preferable next to my first aid kit on my swing out.

It doesn't shoot the way a traditional does, but also not just smoking if that makes sense. It does project a small bit before becoming just smoke, so reasonably speaking you can hold it a few feet away and it has enough pressure to push towards where you're aiming.

That being said I carry an element and traditional with me. But my thought is if it's engine bay or somewhere the residue from a traditional can cause issues I'll use the element otherwise I'm using the cheaper traditional extinguisher.

It doesn't shoot the way a traditional does, but also not just smoking if that makes sense. It does project a small bit before becoming just smoke, so reasonably speaking you can hold it a few feet away and it has enough pressure to push towards where you're aiming.

That being said I carry an element and traditional with me. But my thought is if it's engine bay or somewhere the residue from a traditional can cause issues I'll use the element otherwise I'm using the cheaper traditional extinguisher.
Yeah, exactly. Anything exterior would get the canister. Anything interior gets the E50.

Of course any rules fly out the window in a life threatening situation.

To me, the major benefit of the E50 is being able to deploy it in a vehicle interior and get clear quickly. I have come upon a vehicle where the cabin had filled with smoke from a small fire that was just getting started in the backseat from a cigarette, and although we had a small canister and in theory it would have put it out with ease, there was just too much noxious smoke to open the door for more than a second.

The only thing I really don’t like about the E50 is that they are too expensive to practice with. You can watch videos and do dry runs, but in a real emergency, nothing beats live reps.

Yeah, exactly. Anything exterior would get the canister. Anything interior gets the E50.

Of course any rules fly out the window in a life threatening situation.

To me, the major benefit of the E50 is being able to deploy it in a vehicle interior and get clear quickly. I have come upon a vehicle where the cabin had filled with smoke from a small fire that was just getting started in the backseat from a cigarette, and although we had a small canister and in theory it would have put it out with ease, there was just too much noxious smoke to open the door for more than a second.

The only thing I really don’t like about the E50 is that they are too expensive to practice with. You can watch videos and do dry runs, but in a real emergency, nothing beats live reps.
Agreed! I've had real time experience with an E50 and it's amazing how quick it is to deploy. It also proved to me how much quicker it is to deploy that over fiddling with a roll cage mounted extinguisher I had never removed from it's mount before. It was my first time dealing with a small fire and I FREAKED out. When I couldn't unmount the old extinguisher I decided to run to my 200 to grab my Element.

So word to the wise. If you think you're extinguisher mounted inside your drawers or something is safe enough and you'll be able to grab it quickly when you need it, you won't if you haven't dealt with fires before. The adrenaline that takes over is stupid, and all I had was a carb fire.

I look at it the same way I look at my personal defense weapons. I use my handgun for immediate action and to fight my way to my rifle. I would use the ELEMENT E50, 2 of which are always within arm's reach of the Driver's seat, for immediate use in the passenger compartment to be dropped and left in place while I go around to the rear cargo area and retrieve one or both of the 2.5Lb "real" extinguishers I have back there.

As always, "Two is one, and one is none." I would not be comfortable riding with just the ELEMENT E50's.

HTH

:clap: I like those thoughts. It does seem like a great in-cabin solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom