Fire Extinguisher Mounted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The H3R Performance extinguishers and mounts are hardcore and used in aeronautical, marine, and motorsport applications. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have one of these mounts in the cargo area of my 4Runner:

E036E2D7-2F73-4119-9F0D-8F55C239445C.jpeg

I have one of these going in to the LC200 and 4Runner when I have a chance to install them:

083075EB-5260-4BC1-9BB1-593B0A29B806.jpeg

I haven’t decided how I’m gonna mount an extinguisher in the rear of the 200 yet.

Love the idea, and this isn't unique to this mount but how secure would those extinguishers be in a collision? Does anyone make a vehicle-rated release clamp? The ones posted look like a home grade clamp used for mounting to a wall.

That's actually a REALLY good point!
-Making me consider switching from the wall mount on my front-seat unit...to the same mount I have on my external, tire-swing-out mounted extinguisher. Would be far more secure.

61Qi9nGw4ZL._SL1173_.jpg

@Markuson , through no fault of his own, had caused me to silently suffer extinguisher envy. o_O

I took another look at that photo I posted of my 2.5 lb extinguisher ...

LC200ExtMount1_05FEB18_zpsdmgjkxrk.jpg

... and thought, "There's a lot of wasted space there!" :hmm: ... :idea:

So ... I cruised on over to the Summit Racing web site and clicked on a H3R 5 lb extinguisher and extreme duty mount for same:

LC200ExtLarge_07FEB18_zpskhlypbqj.jpg

I think that's much better use of that space. :D

@Markuson , you brought up many good points in this thread and others about a larger extinguisher being a good idea - and even how the hose would be a distinct advantage in certain circumstances. Thanks :cheers:

HTH

@Markuson , through no fault of his own, had caused me to silently suffer extinguisher envy. o_O

So ... I cruised on over to the Summit Racing web site and clicked on a H3R 5 lb extinguisher and extreme duty mount for same:

@Markuson , you brought up many good points in this thread and others about a larger extinguisher being a good idea - and even how the hose would be a distinct advantage in certain circumstances. Thanks :cheers:

HTH

Right back at you, because you inspired me to adopt a more robust attachment on my driver's mount. :)

Meanwhile... Here's a clearer shot of my external mount, as some were confused about the hose-clamps:

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

Quick thanks to all who posted and shared your tips. Another driveway mod complete.

IMG_0355.jpg

edit - it was 105 here yesterday, and this wasn't technically in my driveway, but rather my garage. That's a pool of sweat on the Husky floor mats FYI.

@Markuson Any weather related issues with that location? I know you live in CA so I'll have to use a weather-related-scaling-factor for Colorado. 🤣

None.
It’s been fine, despite being in close to 0 degree F temps...mud...crud...blood, etc. :)

Had occasion to find out recently as it was put to use. Gotta recharge... No issues.

Last edited:

HTH
Is that one of the HalGuard extinguishers? I keep the HalGuard in the cab and the maxout in the rear. If it’s an exterior fire, I don’t mind the dry agent but inside the interior I prefer the liquified gas that is supposed to be clean. Just my $0.02.

Beside the seat with the fire extinguisher in the OP ... what is this in the pictures?

markuson-beside fire extinguisher.JPG

IBS Dual battery controller/monitor

Makuson will that bracket mount to the rear of the front seat in the same position? Fire extinguisher mounting has been one of my dilemmas. I like the race mount posted above. In a previous hard race car crash the fire extinguisher stayed mounted solidly with a factory metal bracket when mounted to the trans tunnel. That was probably the only bright spot of that event

Is that one of the HalGuard extinguishers? I keep the HalGuard in the cab and the maxout in the rear. If it’s an exterior fire, I don’t mind the dry agent but inside the interior I prefer the liquified gas that is supposed to be clean. Just my $0.02.

It's dry chemical. If the fire is "inside the interior," my first worry is to put it out - I'll worry about the mess later. But yes, of course, HalGuard would be preferred, but expensive.

FYI, I am replacing the 5Lb extinguisher above with two of these on the same mount:

Element E50 Fire Extinguisher

They leave no residue and have a longer discharge time. Two of these are also much smaller than the 5Lb extinguisher. One interesting application unique to this type of extinguisher is that it can be ignited and thrown into the interior of a vehicle, thus allowing distance between the fire and people. Hope I never have to test that, but better to be prepared, right?

After installation, I'll move the 5Lb extinguisher to the back.

HTH

It's dry chemical. If the fire is "inside the interior," my first worry is to put it out - I'll worry about the mess later. But yes, of course, HalGuard would be preferred, but expensive.

FYI, I am replacing the 5Lb extinguisher above with two of these on the same mount:

They leave no residue and have a longer discharge time. Two of these are also much smaller than the 5Lb extinguisher. One interesting application unique to this type of extinguisher is that it can be ignited and thrown into the interior of a vehicle, thus allowing distance between the fire and people. Hope I never have to test that, but better to be prepared, right?

After installation, I'll move the 5Lb extinguisher to the seat back webbing.

HTH
I have the elements as well. They’re a nice small form factor. Never had to use one but easy to leave in the seat back webbing.

IBS Dual battery controller/monitor

Same spot in my truck:

After installation, I'll move the 5Lb extinguisher to the back.

HTH

Ya, the only time I’d use it on the interior is if it’s a choice between residue or destruction/death. :)

It’s within reach for a brief shot at the last category, but it’s mainly there because it means zero delay unburying it in the back. A speed thing.

Last edited:
Makuson will that bracket mount to the rear of the front seat in the same position? Fire extinguisher mounting has been one of my dilemmas. I like the race mount posted above. In a previous hard race car crash the fire extinguisher stayed mounted solidly with a factory metal bracket when mounted to the trans tunnel. That was probably the only bright spot of that event

I’m using two products to make up the seat mount. The quick-release...and the seat anchor bracket.

Mounting behind the seat might work.., But the anchor on the back is more flush with the floor, so the angles might be weird compared to the drop-off in front. Plus...I tend to stash gear behind the seats, so grabbing the extinguisher quickly would be a problem. -If I have passengers, they’ll be kicking it.

For me, the front driver is the one quick access spot that will never have any other gear to contend with.

I had the same Bracketeer bracket in my Tacoma and just sold it a few days ago. Keeping my extenguisher in the rear drawer now.

I had the same Bracketeer bracket in my Tacoma and just sold it a few days ago. Keeping my extenguisher in the rear drawer now.

My concern would be that an automobile accident or trail mishap could very easily make access to rear drawers impossible. Easy example—rear impact and wedged into a vehicle in front. Drawers are not gonna open tailgate is blocked (or damaged shut).

i do have another in back, but wouldn’t want my only extinguisher to be dependent on an intact rear...

Last edited:
My concern would be that an automobile accident or trail mishap could very easily make access to rear drawers impossible. Easy example—rear impact and wedged into a vehicle in front. Drawers are not gonna open tailgate is blocked (or damaged shut).

i do have another in back, but wouldn’t want my only extinguisher to be dependent on an intact rear...

That's a good point. Maybe I'll relocate it somewhere more easily accessible.

HA! Me too ('79 TR7) and that damn thing caught on fire under the steering wheel between my legs! Things got a little toasty there for a minute until I could stop and put it out!
Hilarious - I had 1980 TR7 convertible.....also had smoke coming from the exact same place - under the steering wheel! It also used to stall (shut off) while driving on the highway. One slap under the dash and she'd fire right back up. My favorite was trying to impress a girl at a flower shop.....then the lights started to pop-up and down like they were possessed in rapid fire mode.....I had to ask (the same cute girl) for a screw driver to get into the dash and unplug the switch (which had of course melted)...... Ah the good old days.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom