Feeler – 100 series lightweight, high clearance, low cost Rock Rail/Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

an interesting idea. I'd like to read more about how it does in practice. Especially since I'll reluctantly have to admit that it was not obvious to me at first glance that it would provide much protection given the location and attachment system. Glad to be mistaken.

an interesting idea. I'd like to read more about how it does in practice. Especially since I'll reluctantly have to admit that it was not obvious to me at first glance that it would provide much protection given the location and attachment system. Glad to be mistaken.

The 100 Rails are same spec as the 80's just slightly longer and 1 additional mounting points. I have no pictures or video hitting stuff in the 100. To be honest I have not hit anything in my 100:princess: but my 80 is a different story. I have been crashing them for 2 years. Check out the links to the 80 RR threads for a lot of info with video and pictures.

If you know a moderator for the 80 forum feel free to have the 2 links merged.;)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-rock-rails-by-landcruiserphil.801405/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80...ndcruiserphil-orange-is-the-new-black.801383/

The video of the rails hitting the ledge in the link barley damaged the rail. Listen to the video at the 11 sec mark and you will agree the rails saved me from a lot of damage. To this day I dont know where I was able to crush the prototype tube (now 30% thicker) in the link again saving myself from body $damage$. Bottom line if you wheel you 100 now without protection these are great value if you consider the risk assessment also know as insurance.:hillbilly:

If you wheel you 100 hard by crashing through rock gardens, sliding by trees, or find the need to pivot off boulders these are not for you. You will be much better served by the Slee, MT, BIOR, and others manufactures of heavy duty sliders.

Last edited:
Boy, these are tempting. Especially since I don't rock crawl anymore... You'll prolly have a PM soon from me. Isn't this mounting style similar to Jeeps OEM rails? Not too sure since I've never really looked too close.

I had the fab guy make 3 sets of 100 rails. Not sure what the future will bring once they are gone so if you are interested LMK

Installation is straight forward with the 80 guys taking about a hour

Line the rear of the Rail with the end of the pinch weld
IMG_8017.JPG

With the Rail level and bolts pointing up
IMG_8029.JPG

Mark the center of each bolt on the pinch weld
IMG_8027.JPG

Mark a center line on the vertical line to achieve cross-hairs
IMG_8035.JPG

Place the rail back in position and double check your mark (measure twice drill ONCE!)

I have been drilling a couple sizes larger then the bolt size ~1/8 With such a tight fit depending on how accurate you are you may need to drill a hole a size larger to ease the install.

Torque bolts to ~30lbs

Done!

IMG_8057.JPG

Jack fell short (21.5" max.) of lifting the 100 off the ground:crybaby:
IMG_8063.JPG

Looking for a taller jack:hmm:

Side view installed
IMG_8071.JPG

Shipping across the pond today :clap:almost all gone

Leaving for more testing tomorrow be back in the middle of next week with results
IMG_8104.JPG
:)

Good visual test to really show the HD strength of the rail - good to know!

Last edited:
Jack fell short (21.5" max.) of lifting the 100 off the ground:crybaby:
View attachment 893974
Looking for a taller jack:hmm::)

Come on put a piece of wood in there and jack it up. Your jack is plenty tall.

Looks good Phil, I was wondering if they could support the weight of the Hundy. I will say one thing about the pitch welds on both and 80 and 100 Series. They are thick and mean suckers. I would not trust myself with these but for someone who is careful or is not going to bash through rock gardens this is a great product. Way to think outside the box.

Come on put a piece of wood in there and jack it up. Your jack is plenty tall.

Looks good Phil, I was wondering if they could support the weight of the Hundy. I will say one thing about the pitch welds on both and 80 and 100 Series. They are thick and mean suckers. I would not trust myself with these but for someone who is careful or is not going to bash through rock gardens this is a great product. Way to think outside the box.

Sorry for the late reply but the Rail build was done for fun.

Supporting the weight of the hundy should not be a problem. Come crashing down on them maybe a different story. The design with the tube being the weak point prior to body damage. With that said again this is not a replacement for the big boy heavy duty sliders.

The Rails give me and my style of 100 wheeling piece of mind and should work well for most. Although I have never hit the Rails on the 100 my 80 has seen lots of physical testing with not damage to the vehicle.

Of the few sets we made all have been sold except one set.:clap: Thanks guys for the support. Who will be the lucky one with the final set?

Wish I could get some pictures up of my rails installed. But... I'm still waiting on flipping paint! Shoulda shopped local >.<

...via IH8MUD app

That sounds like an agreeable price for some protection. Now I just need to convince myself that drilling holes in my baby is a good idea.

...via IH8MUD app

You could mount them prior to paint:idea:

I got into this thread late; I do like the idea of being as light as possible. Good looking product and it might be perfect for an overland type vehicle where weight is a consideration and you're really not falling off of rocks onto them...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1404239821.376800.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1404239833.292123.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1404239859.541660.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1404239872.042112.jpg

Plus another coat of color and a coat of clear and they'll be ready to put on. Getting amped. Matched my bumper/trim color.

...via IH8MUD app

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405386452.160930.jpg

Phil! My bolt sheared right off! I was only using an 8" crescent to tighten em up. You buy your bolts from china?

Guess I should take it to a weld shop? I'll try not to tighten the other side so much... Installed pictures soon.

...via IH8MUD app

View attachment 917348

Phil! My bolt sheared right off! I was only using an 8" crescent to tighten em up. You buy your bolts from china?

Guess I should take it to a weld shop? I'll try not to tighten the other side so much... Installed pictures soon.

...via IH8MUD app

:redface: 10.9 hardware :redface: The Chinese are trying to make me look bad:eek:, Is any thing made in the US?

I'll take care of you on the bolt (PM sent) maybe better to install prior to going to the gym:p

Nice clear pics I need you to take mine in the future:clap:

Looks Nice and stealth:grinpimp:

I finally painted my Rock Rails to match my 100.

IMG_9438.JPG

A few have po-po'd and commented they are not worthy. I have done my best to be up front on the construction and the limits they have. They should not be compared to a heavy duty slider with outriggers or steps. That has never been my intent. They do however fill an void for the recreational 100 owner well.

One thing that is commonly overlooked is the Rock Rails provide A minimum of 2" more clearance then other sliders. This is very important because once a slider or Rail comes in contact you have an unweighted tire with loss of traction. Once this occurs you ability to stay on line is greatly reduces and in some cases you will be denied forward travel.

The most common and first place you will see body contact (for most) is the pinch weld. I have seen this personal over the years on my own vehicles. As seen in the picture the frame rails and the Rock Rails are on the similar plane where as Slider will be hanging down 2". It is easy to see with the 100 series overall low profile guys with sliders see contact a lot and forward momentum and traction is reduced.

IMG_9439.JPG

The Rock Rails will not protect you if you wedge your 100 between rocks, let you pivot off a rock, or let you come crashing down at speed on rock. But they protect in the most common place you will encounter as a recreational wheeler like a climbing or dropping off a ledge.

If your interest is running trails listed below your Rock Rails will serve you just fine just like they have done for me in the vehicle in the picture. The pictured 100 running 285/75-16 (sometimes smaller) has been on all of them along with many more and experienced no damage or required any assistance to complete the trail in 100 Style.

Charouleau Gap
Crown King

BoxCanyon
Pyeatt Draw
Black Bear

Imogene
CaliforniaPass
Corkscrew Gulch
EngineerPass
OphirPass
Governor Basin

Hole in the rock (not trail)
Burr trail

If your interest are running the trails above Rock Rails will handle them with confidence.

I have one lonely set still available :( PM if they will work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom