Builds FastLane1000 Black GX Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My old front tires wore uneven. Bald on the inside with good thread on the outside. Rear tires look evenly worn out. Any alignment shop should be able to get me back to even wear on the front tires? Or need a specialty 4x4 shop to align me right?

I have TotalChaos UCAs and new OEM LCAs on front. Both less than 8 months new.

Thanks. I had two wheel alignments done in the last 8 months. One right after installing the front UCAs and 8 months later. Not sure why my front tires wore so uneven. I did install new oem LCAs recently but didn’t drive that much since then.

Thanks. I had two wheel alignments done in the last 8 months. One right after installing the front UCAs and 8 months later. Not sure why my front tires wore so uneven. I did install new oem LCAs recently but didn’t drive that much since then.
How bad were your Cam bolts on the LCAs? They are known to freeze up on these rigs. My guess is that they weren’t able to adjust them when you installed the UCAs and just got in “close enough”. Now you have new UCAs with good hardware, they should be able to get you back into spec.
My guy takes an air chisel to mine to break them loose and get adjustment out of them, but mine are original.

My LCAs were fine before. They were able to adjust them. No rust and no problem taking them off. I saved them after replacement.

And a few more pics. Thinking the lift may settle a bit? I just barely fit in the garage although this one sits outside most of the time.
20190102_201944.jpg
20190103_081830.jpg
20190103_081836.jpg
20190103_081843.jpg

Nice ride! I'm in Knoxville often. Will keep an eye out for you.

Will do!

I used the Moog isolators K160061. They are replacement pieces for '99-'04 Grand Cherokees. They fit our springs well but don't have a bump stop built in.

I used the same for my conversion as well. Haven’t had it off-road yet to see if there’s going to be any issues with the bump stops yet though. Great looking setup and GX!

IMG_20190103_140852388_zpsc6cbawae.jpg
New GX470 owner, but longtime 80 series junkie. Picked up an '06 GX470 yesterday just in time for an ice storm early this morning. It's got that LC DNA to be certain.

For anyone who is interested: no nav, 163K miles and bone stock. I picked up all the fluids and filters today to begin the baseline maintenance work, and I'm scheduling the timing belt service for next week.

My wife is already cringing as I'm eyeballing the lifts, bumpers and other farkles on the market :D

Last edited:
Start your own build thread so we can ask questions and see your build over time

Update with some tips I picked up. I took her back apart to reboot the CVs. I also replaced the wheel hub bearing assemblies, and did the rotors and pads while everything was apart. I hope to drive it for a while now and just enjoy the new lift until the sliders arrive.

I wanted to stay with OEM CVs for strength and save some money. I ordered the Toyota boot kit, and replaced them myself along with doing a boot stretch on the inner boots. I match marked the inner CV joint so it went back together the same way it came from the factory. In hind sight I may have used CVJ for replacement CVs but I learned a lot and saved a few hundred doing the CVs myself. It is a messy job but not difficult. I probably would have ordered a high angle boot kit as well.

I had a vibration at hwy speeds that went away in a sweeping right turn. After replacing controls arms, bushings, ball joints, etc. I knew it had to be the left front wheel bearing so I purchased complete assemblies on Ebay with Koyo bearings <- THESE HAD COUNTERFEIT KOYO BEARINGS! DON'T BUY EBAY KOYO BEARINGS! THESE CAME FR0M SELLER 8 MAGGIE I RETURNED THEM FOR A REFUND AFTER HEARING AND FEELING A GROWLING NOISE THESE WERE REPLACED WITH BLUEPIT BEARING/HUB ASSEMBLIES SEE PICTURES LATER IN THIS THREAD OF GENUINE KOYO BEARING AND COUNTERFEIT SIDE BY SIDE. This made for an easy swap and it fixed my vibration.

The rotors looked like they had been through a couple sets of pads without being turned. My pads had about 30% remaining so I went ahead and replaced both. Everything up front is new now except for tie rods and sway bar end links and bushings. It really drives great. It was just time to freshen things up at 14 years old and 146k miles. I didn't take pictures of everything but here are a few along with a YouTube video with a couple tips.

I also polished the headlights with a 3m kit and applied a couple GXOR decals on the rear side windows. My pictures are out of order.

20190113_122202.jpg
20190113_122216.jpg

The dust cap that covers the axle nut fits perfect for pushing the outer axle seal into place. The inner axle seals don't seat against anything so you have to carefully push them in until they are flush. I happen to have a 54mm socket that did the job fine.

20190113_140716.jpg

All done here. so the Audi A6 and my wife's VW Touareg have their spots back in the garage.

20190114_155639.jpg

I had to take a break here and watch Alabama get whooped! You can see that CV on the right had some silicone tape around the inner boot. That was a solid repair for a couple months. We drove to the beach on it and my wife drove it daily. I just didn't have the time to fool with it. I didn't have an extra vehicle either. The newly installed lift made short work of it and it was time for a proper repair.

20190107_204621.jpg

Check out some tips about installing CVs. I hope this helps someone.

UPDATE: Even with the zip ties very tight I am still getting some grease slinging out of the inner boots on the larger side. This is only happening at highway speeds and may subside on its own after a little grease is slung out. I ordered some screw type CV boot clamps linked here to rectify the issue: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191490535276

I'm thrilled with how she rides and drives now. Nice and smooth on the highway and ready to go for a while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom