Family FJ Build : '76 40 Resto/Frame Off (a.k.a. the Japanese Baby Buggy) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is OEM/factory. There's the D-strap up front that goes around the sheathing, that "double-C" clamp that pinches directly against the hardlines, then another D-strap that goes around the hoses near where the fuel line comes through.

It's just left of the 8/9, but not listed as a specific part.

View attachment 2801097
Thanks! I have the one that’s close to the front heater. I thought they used the same clamp through out the whole thing.

Top all painted...long afternoon, but came out nice. Should only need a very light cut and buff, but will see on Monday or so after it cures a bit. It is a white-white vs Cygnus, but based on the bib it should look nice with the off white Cygnus body. It's like a paler version of the two-tone desert tan rigs. 🙃

Flat-head rivets look nice, and the self-leveling sealer ended up pretty nice after paint - you can actually still pick up some dimpling of the rivets, which is a nice bit of a reminder of the original-original setup.

You're up next @Slapshot 😆

PXL_20211002_001622384.MP.jpg
PXL_20211002_001706026.MP.jpg

Passed the 100 mile mark since major overhaul (SMOH)...so far, so good. Had a loose shield on the rear brake backing plate, was occasionally rubbing the drum...had to retack that but all quiet now. I've got a tiny weep from the rear output shaft as well, but will see if some miles help there...sitting is hard on seals.

Headliner all in, laid down well but overall a slow job...worked in parts, and made sure to let the glue (3M headliner glue) tack up well. A stiff-napped roller with the 3/4" barrel works very well to be able to reach under the folded headliner, as well as to avoid finger marks/dimples...gives a nice, even press.

PXL_20211005_014224693.MP.jpg
PXL_20211005_014236133.MP.jpg
PXL_20211005_014315408.MP.jpg
PXL_20211005_014320222.MP.jpg
PXL_20211005_001209334.MP.jpg

150 miles in...chugging along. Fabbed up Version 2 of the Sniper dash mount, works good - STL attached for any interested.

moun.jpg

Hardtop glass in - that was a bugger and a half to get that new weatherstrip to form to and stay on the curved rears...but got there. Had to use some Gorilla tape to keep the rubber from shifting and popping off. Living room rug made a good workbench, though. 😆

gl1.jpg

gl2.jpg

Attachments

• sniperholder v4.stl
    51.6 KB · Views: 78
And the rear door glass in...easiest for last. The fresh paint with the new gaskets does look nice...those take a beating over the years.

Facedown on a rug is definitely the easy way to install it solo - hold the near side with your knee to keep the glass in place, and start from the far side. Doesn't work for the two curved ones, though. 🙃

Next up, getting the guts in all the doors and weatherstripping...then the hardtop should be ready to go back on.

reargls.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.34.31 PM.png

I wish I lived near you I’d come over and help. And because I need to learn how to do this to mine!
Looks good, can’t wait to see it all together.

I wouldn't mind a trip to NorCal to help either, but it is a bit of a haul. 😆

The windows are pretty simple, though - I used paracord (it's big enough to grab on to, but small enough to not be a problem, and it's naturally a bit slick). Dunk the cord in the gap, overlapping the tails. I used a bit of dish soap on the gasket...just keep the window centered to start and pull the cord to the middle. The 40 Channel has a bit on it, although he did it on the rig....I think CityRacer's site has a link to a vid on the installs too. Highly recommend doing it before panel install if you can, it went pretty well using a flat rug to work on. The glass (pre-install) sits proud of the frame, so laying it face down on a flat rug keeps it tight to the frame with fairly even pressure all the way around.

Day of rest today - bit of exploring, and managed to get to 300 miles on the overhaul. Trying to get past break-in before road-salt season is upon us, and not many open-top days left here either. Drives pretty good humming along at 60, and the only real complaint was the rear spare carrier latch needs some adjustment/snugging. Getting about 10MPG on the back highways, about as expected.

PXL_20211009_174932468.MP.jpg

Back to work today...hardtop went on (sans doors) to make some room in the garage before the rain blows in here. Took some fiddling, but sat in ok...ended up working front to back, but that windshield gasket was a bit fluffy so that's why I started there. Happy with the white-white for the classic two-tone look, even though the body is Cygnus. Only a couple inches to spare to clear the garage door.

Back to door assembly tomorrow...

PXL_20211010_232843449.MP.jpg

PXL_20211010_232827921.MP.jpg

PXL_20211010_232135596.MP.jpg
PXL_20211010_232718597.MP.jpg

PXL_20211010_225838344.MP.jpg

Back to work today...hardtop went on (sans doors) to make some room in the garage before the rain blows in here. Took some fiddling, but sat in ok...ended up working front to back, but that windshield gasket was a bit fluffy so that's why I started there. Happy with the white-white for the classic two-tone look, even though the body is Cygnus. Only a couple inches to spare to clear the garage door.

Back to door assembly tomorrow...

View attachment 2809147
View attachment 2809149
View attachment 2809150View attachment 2809151

View attachment 2809148
It looks truly amazing. Great job. All your hard work on the top really paid off.

Your lucky on height. My hard top rubs the weatherstripping at the top as I pull it in the garage.
After doing the 2-1/2" lift, ours just barely clears the bottom of the garage door. (I sure would have felt pretty stupid if I couldn't have backed out of the garage.) I told my wife that we had better not add any air to our tires.

After doing the 2-1/2" lift, ours just barely clears the bottom of the garage door. (I sure would have felt pretty stupid if I couldn't have backed out of the garage.) I told my wife that we had better not add any air to our tires.
Right. I had to inch it in and keep checking to make sure it would work. I do have about 5” of lift and 35” tires though. I’m lucky the garage was tall enough.

Rear doors dunked back on - could possibly use a smidge of fine tuning, but fighting one gap causes another to shift of course. Weatherstrip and the main latch left to do for tomorrow, ran out of steam. Figured I'd get the alignment without fighting the weatherstripping, then install it after...I do have removable hinge pins for the rears, but might just tackle it on the rig...will see.

Dome light back in as well...the parts pile is shrinking smaller and smaller.

PXL_20211011_213735076.MP.jpg

PXL_20211011_174710205.MP.jpg

Matched original - up the vertical part and partway across the horizontal. I also ripped some white cloth gaffer tape I had on hand in half (1" wide or so), and ran a strip of that down the horizontal lip just to help keep that edge down...I didn't want to plaster that cross brace with glue everywhere. Ideally, you'd run it to that second 90 degree bend (up the vertical, across the horizontal, and stop), but it can be tricky to trim and it really doesn't matter...the windshield lip actually runs up that vertical bit, so as long as it makes halfway across the horizontal or so (and sticks), you're good. The corners are a bit fiddly too, but you can nibble them a bit once the top is on the windshield.

Rear doors have their latches...didn't get to weatherstrip today, but they do close nice. Was able to mix and match parts to come up with nice tight joints for all the latches, and made a bushing on the 3d printer to take up some of the slop in the rear facing handle. I'll take it.

And an obligatory shot of the flat-head rivets after final assembly. 🙃

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 4.50.18 PM.png

PXL_20211012_213822651.MP.jpg

PXL_20211012_211750098.jpg

PXL_20211012_212948424.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom