Family Cage conversion on stock rollbar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very late 1960's Toyota was very involved with making a better vehical...safer vehicles and safer emissions.

I believe there was an initiative in Japan (early 69) that lead the charge and toyota was going to be the leader...as they usually strived to be.
It had to be later than that my 1970 didn't have a roll bar.

I don't know about any initiatives but Japan kicked the US domestic auto makers ass at adapting to the new government emission and safety requirements. I suspect those were profit driven decisions to break into the US market.

R&D takes some time:

"The 1969 04 02 1st TOYOTA traffic safe campaign enforcement"

"07/26/1969 TOYOTA summer school starts (the traffic safe classroom etc. of a/the small/junior high school student objects)"

"07/1970 safe anti-pollution measure joint conference"

"02/01/1971 Highest policy conference inauguration (a present executive director meeting)
Safe/anti-pollution measure actively persued"

idk why no one has said iron pig
(if it was mentioned sry i just skipped over it plz direct me to the post and ill read it)

Iron Pig Off Road : Toyota 4WD experts

does that first bar seem like a good cage to yall?? i commented once just kinda off hand but the more iv read "roll cage" has moved to #1 on my next to purchase list..... guess those extras like bumpers and new rear quarter pannels are just going to have to keep waiting...

but the question right now is..
is that stock looking cage made outa the 2" .120 wall tubing enough to keep me safe if i do somehow wind up looking like a flopped over turtle??

(if it was mentioned sry i just skipped over it plz direct me to the post and ill read it)

Post #25 ;)

They are MetalTech's cages and are the bomb. They put together a great product and the reasonably equipped home shop can build it.
Good word for Lance and IPOR too. He knows a good product ind it is nice to know I can still get MT stuff eventhough I've shifted coasts.
Cheers-
-Stump

Last edited:
Post #25 ;)

They are MetalTech's cages and are the bomb. They put together a great product and the resonably equipped home shop can build it.
Good word for Lance and IPOR too. He knows a good product ind it is nice to know I can still get MT stuff eventhough I've shifted coasts.
Cheers-
-Stump
OOOOOHHHH!! i learned something new tonight IPOR= iron pig

even the slow kid can finish the race if you give him long enough :-D

I'm getting mine made this weekend hopefully, got a wire feed welder and tube bender from my buddy, He'll weld and bend the cage but I will get to practice my welding skills, I welded for the first time the other night and it was really cool. Trying to make a lamp out of my old cam and gear.

Iron Pig Off Road : Toyota 4WD experts

does that first bar seem like a good cage to yall?? i commented once just kinda off hand but the more iv read "roll cage" has moved to #1 on my next to purchase list..... guess those extras like bumpers and new rear quarter pannels are just going to have to keep waiting...

but the question right now is..
is that stock looking cage made outa the 2" .120 wall tubing enough to keep me safe if i do somehow wind up looking like a flopped over turtle??
I'd save the $200 and put it toward the $550 Metal Tech cage.

I don't know how to post links, but dargreg has started a new thread called 75 40 build which shows what the factory roll bar looks like after a what looks like a one-revolution rollover. It did its job, but it makes you think twice about a hig-speed multiple rollover (eg highway crash) or rolling multiple times down the side of a gully if you come off the trail.

70mph?

If your gonna drive your lifted cruiser with the top off with big tires 70mph down the road with your family on board you need a sturdy roll cage. Stock bar won't do.
I keep reading about cruisers that go 70mph down the highway? I have a 383 small block in mine with what I believe to be the stock tranny, tc, etc. Still have the stock gearing also. My rpm's at 60mph are over 3,500! I can't imagine running a motor at over 4,000rpm just to go down the highway? Is their something not right with my gearing? Don't misread this, I do not want to go 70mph in a cruiser, it is not built for that speed. 60mph is plenty fast for a vehicle with this wheelabse, no sway bar, etc. Thanks!

78 fj40, stock 2f engine, 31x10.5 tires, with 3.70 gears swapped in instead of stock 4.11 gears will give you exactly 70mph at 3000 rpm. autometer tach with a garmin nuvi gps being used as a speedometer instead of the stock guage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom