Builds "Falcor" the 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A3A19D19-5123-47E4-AC53-225749A1D180.png

Given enough of a run, this thing can scoot.

I bought the CCOT console and it’s very nice. Fit’s perfect. I bought the cup holders and super happy with the purchase. Not all that happy with the color I chose to paint it. I highly recommend this one.View attachment 3085930View attachment 3085938View attachment 3085942View attachment 3085943
I may have missed the post but I am looking for a parking brake boot. That one looks pretty damn good. Also, I scored some brown vinyl from cruiser outfitters and covered my tuffy box padding with it.

I may have missed the post but I am looking for a parking brake boot. That one looks pretty damn good. Also, I scored some brown vinyl from cruiser outfitters and covered my tuffy box padding with it.
I definitely need to recover that black pad, I think I'll remove the console and try repainting it again... or just get it powder coated which will be much easier and possibly only cost about $50.

I was pretty lucky, the boot in mine was in great shape. I bet you could have someone make one really easily. If you need pictures and dimentions of mine I'm happy to send them.

I definitely need to recover that black pad, I think I'll remove the console and try repainting it again... or just get it powder coated which will be much easier and possibly only cost about $50.

I was pretty lucky, the boot in mine was in great shape. I bet you could have someone make one really easily. If you need pictures and dimentions of mine I'm happy to send them.
I could make a parking brake lever boot. It would be out of waxed canvas. PM me if you’re interested.

I think that would look really cool! Mine is still in great shape but I'd love to see what a finished product might look like.
I must have misunderstood! I thought yours was trashed. Oops.

I just want to add this note about the fuel filter replacement I did this weekend.

Clearly there was some stuff in it as shown in the picture, but I'm starting to suspect that the old filter was far dirtier than I originally thought. Throttle response and driveablility is noticably better. So, if it's been a while since you've changed out your fuel filter, maybe you'll see similar results!

It's possible due to some changes in our living situation that I'll be selling Falcor. Considering all of the work done on this vehicle, what do you believe a fair price is? Just curious at this point.
I don't follow the 60 market as they just don't suit my desires/wants out of an old truck, but I have followed this thread from start to current because I enjoy your attention to detail and approach to tackling large projects. A buyer would be hard pressed to find a 60 series as well cared for and sorted out as this truck is. $40k+ I would think?

I don't follow the 60 market as they just don't suit my desires/wants out of an old truck, but I have followed this thread from start to current because I enjoy your attention to detail and approach to tackling large projects. A buyer would be hard pressed to find a 60 series as well cared for and sorted out as this truck is. $40k+ I would think?
Very kind of you EWheeler I have always tried to do good work and enjoy it at the same time. It's a great vehicle and it breaks my heart to think of selling it but if it went to a Cruiser fan then I'd feel better about it.

After lots of soul searching, I've decided to sell Falcor.

It really pains me to do this but for my needs now and in the future, it's going to have to be the way it goes.

As you can see by the prior 26 pages, I've built Falcor to be a do it all, road trip rig with added storage and comfort. It would be the perfect starting point for someone who wants to do some more serious overlanding or simply drive it like I have. It has some bumps but nothing major, I like to think they add character. I have recently hopped in and driven 700 miles in 2 days and it never skipped a beat. It doesn't leak a drop of anything and runs like a champ. It's hard to let this one go after searching on and off for 4 years to find it, but I'm confident that the next owner will be stoked to continue the journey.

It won't be for a few months, but if you know of anyone who wants a 3 owner, 134,000 mile, H55 60 series with damn near everything dialed in... send them my way.

Oh damn. Hate to see these stories end, such a great thread on the resurrection of this 60 and sharing your travels in it along the way.
Hoping its significant resale serves you well.

After a call with one of the awesome people at Tom Woods Driveshafts, I removed the 4 degree caster shims I put under the front axle. The driveshaft vibrations are gone and there is no perceivable bump steer.

I’m impressed with the folks at Tom Woods Driveshafts. Excellent service and beyond helpful.

24664029-1F18-4073-9E6D-1B8A51C64049.jpeg

Mountain biking the other day where I park was a mini white Land Cruiser meet up. Never met the person who owned it but I hope they drooled over mine as much as I did their rig.

I did another oil change, it's only been 2500 miles but I wanted to send in another sample to BlackStone and I have a 900 mile journey ahead of me starting tomorrow.

I switched back to 5w-30 synthetic, I am sure some of you with think it's BS but it runs noticably better on this vs the 15w-40 that I had in it for the Summer.

8E60FD2B-E0ED-42A5-9606-4D9DF1376038.jpeg

I did another oil change, it's only been 2500 miles but I wanted to send in another sample to BlackStone and I have a 900 mile journey ahead of me starting tomorrow.

I switched back to 5w-30 synthetic, I am sure some of you with think it's BS but it runs noticably better on this vs the 15w-40 that I had in it for the Summer.

View attachment 3120226
Can you describe what you're feeling/hearing that makes it seem like its running noticeably better? Comment isn't to mock, I'm genuinely interested.

Can you describe what you're feeling/hearing that makes it seem like its running noticeably better? Comment isn't to mock, I'm genuinely interested.
Certainly, it starts easier for one. The amount of times the engine turns over before it fires is less. Plus upon start up it runs smoother right away. I started it probably 200 times with the 15w40 oil and it was always just a touch slower and ever so rough when it fired up. Since going back to 5w30 I've started it probably 30 times and each time it's just smoother and feels easier. I know that description isn't super helpful.

Taking off from my neighborhood, the cold engine with 15w40 would resist a touch as I accelerated down the street to 35mph. Now it seems to spin up easier with the ligher viscosity oil.

When the engine is warm I don't notice much more than a slightly smoother idle. My wife even commented last night that it runs really well, and I haven't shared with her that I did anything... so I do believe it's a noticable difference, however only mildly so.

Give it a try, I don't see any difference in oil pressure or noises or anything, I can't imagine it could do any harm to use a 5w30.... plus if you notice differences maybe I won't think it's all in my head. HA!

I should also point out that I'm still changing my oil at a 2500 mile interval and the 1 report I've gotten back from BlackStone didn't appear too bad and it was 5w20 but even I feel like that's a touch thin, so I switched to 5w30 this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom