1984 FJ60 2F misfire cylinders 1&2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To those more knowledgeable and experienced,

I’ve got 2f with a misfire on cylinders 1&2. I’ve been daily driving the truck since 2019, done a lot of work including a head rebuild in the last 5 years. I was driving a short distance around town last week and noticed the beginnings of a rough idle and less power than usual. Vacuum on it usually runs at 18-19, but now I’m at 16 with sharp and consistent dips to 14. I searched for vacuum leaks, and when I didn’t see anything I went back with a water mister across both sides of the truck, still nothing. So I pulled the wires and confirmed spark, but noticed that pulling the wires from cylinder 1&2 had no effect on the idle. So I replaced the plugs, rotor and dizzy cap just to be sure. No change. Then I made sure my intake manifold going to cylinder 1&2 was nice and night. It wasn’t loose, and no change.

Biggest question is what can cause 2 adjacent cylinders to fail like this at once? I have no indications of a head gasket leak and had it replaced a few years ago. Hasn’t and isn’t overheating. I’m otherwise pretty stuck.

IMG_3542.jpeg
Plugs 4-5-6 from top to bottom in case it helps

I’d start with a compression check on those 2 cylinders at least. Fluctuating vacuum like that can signal valve issue and/or a head gasket break between those 2 cylinders.

First thing I would have done... like as soon as I saw that two adjacent cylinders had power issues... would be a compression check. Long before I started looking for vacuum leaks. Long Long before i started replacing ignition components. Replacing those when you had already confirmed that you had spark kinda set the stage for not making any difference. ;)

When you say that you have no indications of a head gasket leak, I disagree. A pair of adjacent cylinders loosing power is kinda like head gasket leak indicator #1 in an F series engine.

The distance between cylinder 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 is pretty narrow. The span between 2-3 and 4-5 is wider. It is not at all uncommon to burn/blow the gasket on the narrower spans.

Check compression before chasing any wild geese up other trees.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom