Factory NAV Workaround? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read, I believe, all of the threads on replacing the factory NAV unit in the MY 06-07 LC. One situation that I have not seen was to potentially run another input in parallel with the existing system. Could you use an iPad, or other tablet, run it with the interface that uses RCA's for outputs to a separate amplifier but using the existing speakers?

This way you'd keep your factory climate controls but use the tablet for everything else. Is it possible?

You mean like take the audio out of the mini-jack audio into RCA of an aftermarket amp and then power speakers from there? You would disable audio from the factory unit unless you added another set of speakers as well (I would not recommend having the speakers be connected simultaneously to two separate audio output paths). The problem with the factory unit is it's lack of allowing an additional input. On your "I believe" statement about other threads, there are threads on replacing the entire factory unit with a newer larger touchscreen but retaining most of the stock features, and there are threads about replacing or relocating the factory unit to get additional functionality.

If you were going to do this, why duplicate the amp?

Why not use one of the aux input modules Vaistech/Grom/USA Spec to pipe the audio (over Bluetooth, USB or audio cable) from the tablet into the factory system?

You mean like take the audio out of the mini-jack audio into RCA of an aftermarket amp and then power speakers from there? You would disable audio from the factory unit unless you added another set of speakers as well (I would not recommend having the speakers be connected simultaneously to two separate audio output paths). The problem with the factory unit is it's lack of allowing an additional input. On your "I believe" statement about other threads, there are threads on replacing the entire factory unit with a newer larger touchscreen but retaining most of the stock features, and there are threads about replacing or relocating the factory unit to get additional functionality.

Yeah, I have seen those. I suppose I am looking to use the iPad for everything minus the climate controls so the iPad would be the only audio input to the speakers. The Canavie system seems like the support is not there. I liked the relocation thread, I was just thinking that this could be another option that I have not seen.

If you were going to do this, why duplicate the amp?

Why not use one of the aux input modules Vaistech/Grom/USA Spec to pipe the audio (over Bluetooth, USB or audio cable) from the tablet into the factory system?

I will look into that, thanks.

I have used VAIS unit for over ten years and have no issues with it. It uses the OEM screen and creates a mini-disk type of GUI when you connect your Ipod to it. It was pretty advance for its time and it was flawless for me. I have a dedicated ipod on my car. It also allows a aux input through RCA which I did not use. The only drawback is it uses an old ipod connection (see pictures). The only reason I removed it was I upgraded my stereo all together. If you want I will sell it to you dirt cheap ($100+shipping). PM if you are interested.

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the cabling/harness is a little different between the LC/LX which may be an issue for the OP.

It is my understanding that the cabling/harness is a little different between the LC/LX which may be an issue for the OP.

I have a 2004 LX470, did the wiring change from 2004 to 2006? Just came from VAIS web site, when you select the different model years the available item does not change which tells me they are compatible. FYI OP there are better units available now, its just a little bit more money.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 LX470, did the wiring change from 2004 to 2006?
Not that I am aware of, but the OP mentions "replacing the factory NAV unit in the MY 06-07 LC" which would seem to imply that he would need the Toyota harness instead of the Lexus harness.

Not that I am aware of, but the OP mentions "replacing the factory NAV unit in the MY 06-07 LC" which would seem to imply that he would need the Toyota harness instead of the Lexus harness.

Missed that one......

I have a 2004 LX470, did the wiring change from 2004 to 2006? Just came from VAIS web site, when you select the different model years the available item does not change which tells me they are compatible. FYI OP there are better units available now, its just a little bit more money.

OP, just fyi. I ordered the Vais SL3B for my '04 LX yesterday after reading many threads on here. They are also having a $30 off any purchase over $150 Labor Day sale!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom