Factory Bumper Swing Out Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another buyer here if you end up doing a DIY kit... but if not then I may be copying quite a bit from it!

Great work on this one, I really like how clean it came out. Beautiful cruiser, overall.

Thanks! I figured I would update this after putting some miles on it. Everything still looks good and I have only had two minor issues with it.

After driving over 600 miles for a camping trip, my latch started loosening up a little bit when I was on some rough roads. I tightened it back up and it is good to go.

Another small issue is with the bumper wing trim. It rubbed slightly before I painted the swing out so I filed more out of it until I thought it was good, but the bed liner has started being scrapped off by it on the swing out. I just need to file it a tad more.

If I don't go to the Arbuckle Off Road Park this weekend, I will look at installing the gas strut. When setting up camp, I had to use a bungee to keep it open.
image.jpg

Not much to update about building kits. I haven't even started ordering parts for the passenger side yet because finals week is approaching. Hopefully it will be something I can get going in June depending on my class schedule this summer.

Here's some pics of the swing out undergoing "testing"
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
With the impending storms and hail on the way, I decided not to go to the Arbuckles and finish the swing out instead.

When I finished building it, I measured that I needed a 17" extended and 11" compressed gas strut. I found what I needed from strong arm, but the ball stud kit wasn't available locally. A trip to pull-a-part later, and I had two Hyundai gas struts and what I needed to mount them.
Part Number: 81161-25000
image.jpg

Then instead of using the small weak looking bolt that came on one of the ends, we sleeved it and used a 10mm 1.5 pitch stud into a 1" sleeve we cut out of this random part we had lying around.

image.jpg

Then threaded and tack welded the stud in and had a much more strong ball stud.

image.jpg

Then we drilled through the bumper wing and the 2x4 underneath. Then we tapped it for the stud.
image.jpg

Then we drilled two holes in the swing out and tapped them for 8mm 1.25 pitch 12mm bolts.
image.jpg

Bolted on
image.jpg

I felt like it might have been a little constraining to have it only open at 90 degrees so it opens more. As I write this, I think that might not have been the best idea if I'm parallel parked, but I hardly ever am so I'm not going to worry about it.

image.jpg

Clearance between tailgate and top of the strut
image.jpg

KIT! We're all done fluffing your feathers, kit this thing up (bolt up) and be done with it. I'll paypal this weekend to get some orders going.​

Don't forget the 3FE discount :beer::beer:

PUH-LEEEEZ!

--t

Last edited:
KIT! We're all done fluffing your feathers, kit this thing up (bolt up) and be done with it. I'll paypal this weekend to get some orders going.​

Don't forget the 3FE discount :beer::beer:

PUH-LEEEEZ!

--t

Haha getting a little ahead of yourself. I still have to order everything to build mine and that's a couple weeks out at least.

If and when I offer a kit, to keep cost and time down, I do not see myself offering a bolt on. It's much easier, and I believe stronger, to use the weld on design. If you have access to a welder for the kit, the weld on will be much simpler and quicker to install.

I have a 3F-E in the garage. Does that count??? :)

I don't know about a 3FE discount. Might seem a little unfair to people with their already inferior FZJ80s...

Meant to ask, do you feel the stacked square tubes are necessary or was that primarily cosmetic?

Meant to ask, do you feel the stacked square tubes are necessary or was that primarily cosmetic?

Mainly cosmetic, but I believe it makes the entire swing out stiffer. If I didn't use that lower 2x2, I would have had to use spacing blocks to bring down the stop pad and latch. It might have made the entire swing out a little flexy if that makes sense.

This drop connection worked well for me and was solid as a rock.
Swingarm is 3x2x1/8.
End cap plate was added after pic was taken as taken.

Absolutely impressed with your design and hard work bud. Thanks for the link. Looks like This is much more In-depth project than I can entertain myself.
Thanks!

Absolutely impressed with your design and hard work bud. Thanks for the link. Looks like This is much more In-depth project than I can entertain myself.
Thanks!

Thanks! In my mind before building it, it definitely seemed like it wouldn't take as long, but all the little details really do add up.

Any updates on pass side version? and then kits? I'm fine with weld-on. just don't want to deal with sourcing parts.

Any updates on pass side version? and then kits? I'm fine with weld-on. just don't want to deal with sourcing parts.

Haven't even started on the passenger side. I have several other projects going on currently. It probably won't be until later this fall.

Might be worth networking local fabricators. I found one here in my area willing to do it for a very reasonable price. Doubt I could buy anything else kit included and factor in shipping for less...

Good idea.

Super Summit - sorry to put you on the spot. If you were to move forward with The Kit, can you ballpark a price point for us?

Thx man.......

Super Summit - sorry to put you on the spot. If you were to move forward with The Kit, can you ballpark a price point for us?

Thx man.......

I honestly have no idea at this point. Too many variables to determine a price right now.

If you are interested in a kit, I have a couple of points of concern/questions that will need to be answered eventually so might as well now.

I would probably not offer the receiver as part of the kit. A simple latch plate that bolts on to the crossmember would get the job done.

I would also make the tire not hug the body of the truck as much. It works perfectly for my tire/wheel setup, but anything wider, and the tire will rub on the swing out arm.

Would you want tinted taillights for the bumper wings as well? With the kit, the tire could be spaced over far enough to not block the rear taillight, I just spaced it so far over to fit a Yeti 45 on the other side.

I would probably not offer the receiver as part of the kit. A simple latch plate that bolts on to the crossmember would get the job done.

I would also make the tire not hug the body of the truck as much. It works perfectly for my tire/wheel setup, but anything wider, and the tire will rub on the swing out arm.

Would you want tinted taillights for the bumper wings as well? With the kit, the tire could be spaced over far enough to not block the rear taillight, I just spaced it so far over to fit a Yeti 45 on the other side.

Latch plate - curious but why not include it? Seems to be one of the simpler items to fab, all things considered.

Tail light - not personally interested as I run smaller tires than most (285's) so shouldn't be in the way for me - others might like to see it as an option.

BTW, as this evolves a bit more, it might be the direction I head (time will tell). That said, your swingout is frikkin' perfect. If I could snap my fingers and have a tire carrier today, yours would be it. Keep up the solid work.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom