Extended Shackles or ADD a Leaf for leveling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to level out the front of my 84 FJ60. It has the OME Light/Medium kit with the CS003F springs in the front. The rake is a little too much for my liking. I know the OME kits are designed to ride high in the back to accommodate for extra weight. My truck wont have any additional weight in the rear and I dont want to remove a leaf from the rear and lose clearance.

What are the pros and cons for lifting the front with an Add a leaf or a shackle. Doesnt have to be DEAD level just maybe an 3/4 -1 inch higher in the front. So the rake isnt as aggressive. Definitely do not want the front higher than the rear. If I go longer shackles what height should I pick? I currently have the OME greasable shackles.

Heres how my truck sits now...

FJ60.png

Had the same issue, did an OME AAL up front and extended shackles. I think they are about 1.4" longer than stock. Ended up pulling a leaf out of the rear as well, the A spring has/had a serious arch. The shackle angle was a just a hair over inverted after a year and flexing it out completely on trails.

I put the same springs on another truck, but 'B' designation and it was significantly lower and matched a medium front.

My look at add a leafs and extended shackles is simple, as long as the shackle angle is less than perpendicular (not inverted), the truck will ride fine, a little stiff, but completely acceptable.

Truck looks great also!

Very nice cruiser. Love the throw back 80s look!

I agree...DAMN that is a nice 60!! Good question too. I just added OME heavy leaves on the front and was dissapointed in my rake. Looking forward to the responses...

The front looks perfect. The rears need to be "broken in" to settle down a bit. Easy to do.

Carry 500 lbs of sand bags or whatever in the back of the cruiser for a few weeks and aim for all the speed bumps. The rears just need to relax a bit (and they will).

Also remember that the height of the wheel arches are not equal front and rear. The front arches are lower when the roof is perfectly level.

What he said.

I will try the sandbag approach. How much do they “settle”. Are we talking fractions or inches?

I've seen them settle quite a bit in both of my cruisers. Inches.

Ok I’ll hold off buying anything until they settle, but in case I need too, what offers a better ride? Shackles or Add aleaf

I want to level out the front of my 84 FJ60. It has the OME Light/Medium kit with the CS003F springs in the front. The rake is a little too much for my liking. I know the OME kits are designed to ride high in the back to accommodate for extra weight. My truck wont have any additional weight in the rear and I dont want to remove a leaf from the rear and lose clearance.

What are the pros and cons for lifting the front with an Add a leaf or a shackle. Doesnt have to be DEAD level just maybe an 3/4 -1 inch higher in the front. So the rake isnt as aggressive. Definitely do not want the front higher than the rear. If I go longer shackles what height should I pick? I currently have the OME greasable shackles.

Heres how my truck sits now...

View attachment 1773511
I would leave it as is. If you add longer shackles you'll have to also compensate for the caster with spring shims.

That "rake" will come in real handy when you load down the truck for a road trip.

I would leave it as is. If you add longer shackles you'll have to also compensate for the caster with spring shims.

That "rake" will come in real handy when you load down the truck for a road trip.

I agree 100%. It's good as is. Load it up and go on a trip. Nice looking Land Cruiser BTW.

I put 300 lbs of sand in the back for two months. That took most of the rake out of my rear springs. Simple dead weight that didn’t want to move around and kill me when i braked.

Definitely go the way of the sand bags to get the system broken in and to settle some. I have AALs all around and unless you really dont like your teeth, I would suggest staying away from them if at all possible. The extended shackles may be able to pull you back up some and level you out, however the later option is definitely one that you should strongly review and consider prior. If you can, go ride in someone's truck that has AALs, I used them as a temporary solution until I decide to afford a real lift.

I would level with leafs over shackles. Light packs are just too weak once they settle. Or, drive around with some additional weight in the rear to help settle those rears down. All of the trucks weight is up front and those rears could level out with some exercise.

Extended shackles on the front axle is a very bad idea. The OME rear springs will settle at least an inch in time with significant weight placed in the cargo.

AAL's to turn your front CS003's into CS004's will help with sway, be a firmer ride, and probably have different shocks supplied with the kit. OME shackles are the same for CS003, CS004, and CS005 kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom