3.70 or 4.11 Gear Ratio for SBC/H55F Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
Planning out the V8 swap on my 1986 FJ60 and was wondering what gear ratios you guys are running with your V8 setups and H55F.

Any input would be appreciated!

With my 3FE I comfortably run 4.11 gears with 33" tires. With the extra power of a SBC I would imagine you'd have no problems running 3.7 gears.

This is assuming you're building a DD rig that'll be comfortable on the highway and not going for a super high crawl ratio trail vehicle.

That’s exactly my goal! Good DD with nice highway manners. I’ll be running 33”s on mine as well when it comes to it.

3.70’s in 2024

Hopefully by SBC you mean LS.

possible gear change can be the last thing on your list. After you get the new engine squared away — drive it as is. You’ll find out pretty soon whether you want to re- gear or not.

I have 3.7’s with an LS, 33/34” tires, and h55f and it’s awesome at highway speeds. I had 4.1s for the first 6 years with the LS and prefer the 3.7s. Even in city driving the 3.7s are better.

3.70’s in 2024

Hopefully by SBC you mean LS.

I wish I could LS swap it, budget isn't unlimited and I was given a free TBI V8 to rebuild. It'll get an LS down the road.

I wish I could LS swap it, budget isn't unlimited and I was given a free TBI V8 to rebuild. It'll get an LS down the road.
This doesn’t make any sense though, you should easily be able to get a decent running 4.8/5.3 for less then the price of gaskets and machine work anywhere in the US. The rest of the swap isn’t any more expensive.

This doesn’t make any sense though, you should easily be able to get a decent running 4.8/5.3 for less then the price of gaskets and machine work anywhere in the US. The rest of the swap isn’t any more expensive.

Not going to do any machine work, just a budget rebuild with a dingleball hone, main, rod and cam bearings and valve seals. Going full roadkill for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom