Extended cab 45 SWB from a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I liked this before, It going to be super rad now !! 😍

Glad I didn't end up buying it, lol. This is getting exciting.

IMG_4039.JPEG

Working on where the tank will live and how to mount the rear sill since I don't have a stock rear frame to work off of. Tank needs to come down 1" so it doesn't hit the sill, so I'll have to scoop the frame where the fill neck is. Tight but everything should fit with pushing the tank back to leave space for the axle to move and panhard bar if I need it.

IMG_4046.JPEG

Ran the numbers in the 4-link calculator and seems like it will work with the combination brackets I have. With my measurements I can adjust the anti-squat from about 90-110% with the position of the frame side upper links. It looks like it will be triangulated enough to not require a panhard bar but I plan to leave the springs centered and enough space to add one if needed. Wheelbase is at 122" right now and that puts the rear tire a little further back in the wheel well than stock. With the upper spring mount where it is I have 10.75" of spring height at roughly where I want ride height to be. I have a set of JK Rubicon front springs that should end up there so I'll mock it up with them and probably figure out some combination of OME lift springs for a Jeep LJ for the final ride.

Rear frame is pretty much done. I'm going to add an inside the frame panhard bracket on the passenger side just in case I end up needing it. It's sitting very low in the rear because the jack pivot point is letting the coilovers jack up the front. Waiting for my FJ Cruiser springs to show up and I can set it on it's own feet again.
IMG_4082.JPEG

Time to switch the welder to .025 wire and start on the rear body.
IMG_4084.JPEG

The best part of this iteration of Frank is that my 8-yo son decided he wanted to learn how to weld. He really got into it and even did some of the brace welds for the tire carrier crossmember.

Joe Welding.png

2 steps forward, one step back. The tub I bought to cut in half ended up being worse than I thought. Lots of rust repair has really slowed me down. Today I made some progress and got the rear corners replaced, the driver side wheel well replaced and the corner channels.

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

Now that I have the bed sides in a reasonable place I can weld them to the rear channel, pull it to paint and finally weld the body back into one piece…..easy.

IMG_4325.jpeg

Got a bunch done the last two days.
IMG_4344.JPEG

I finalized the forward/back location for the quarter panels and got them welded to the sill....so dimensions are set now!
IMG_4345.JPEG

I wasn't super happy about the 2" angle bracket that I used to make a front rail. It looked like it was going to be all wrong to seal to the floor skin and the quarter panels.

IMG_4353.JPEG

Then I was looking at the metal I cut off the junk tub I bought and thought...maybe I can reuse this. Now I have a nice sill shape and its not terrible to seal to the door structure on the back side.

IMG_4360.JPEG

IMG_4354.JPEG

More metal repurposed...
IMG_4355.JPEG

I was updating the doors to the later style...so I needed new B-Pillar posts.

IMG_4356.JPEG

I capped the top of the B-pillar and now I have a relatively straight and level line across the B to C pillar and all the way out to the back of the quarter panel. I cut out and re-did the hinge plate for the rear doors. It always bugged me that my rear door gaps were terrible and it was crooked across the top. It's straight now but will have to see how much play is in the hinges.

IMG_4358.JPEG

I also clamped the tailgate panel on to see how that was going to look. I plan on adding some hinges to the bottom so it functions as a tailgate.

IMG_4361.JPEG

This is looking great! You have really disassembled it. I know how that goes.

Are you planning to make soft top uppers for your doors?
Maybe, I have 3/8" rod I was going to use for that purpose but the top edge of the Aqualu door is heavily rounded so there's not a great way to attach an upper structure to it. I have 3/16" sheets of aluminum I was planning on cutting to make full hard rear doors with a slide down plexi window. The kids biggest gripe has always been the windows didn't go down in the back!

Ya, it's pretty torn down, and more to go. I want to get the rear body mostly done, the underside painted and then joined to the front body. Then, the engine and transmission are coming out for an L86/10L80 swap. The rear 4-link is done but I want to cut out the front coil towers and raise them to lower the front suspension. Then paint....lots of paint.

Pulled the bed off, hopefully for the last time. Welded in some support channels under the floor, hit it with some primer and then seam sealer. I’ll spray the center section with Steel It and put it back on for final welding.
IMG_4369.jpeg

Also finished welding on the panhard mount, the EVAP canister and the electric parking brake box.
IMG_4368.jpeg

Tomorrow is Easter so might not get much done. Next is to finish assembling the fuel tank and system and fix the rear brake lines. Then the tub can go back on.

Shifting ends and working on the front. I wanted to raise the front coil towers so I could go back to the harder spring combo but also lower the front end. I also didn't like where I put the bump cans and I wanted to move the steering gearbox back to improve the geometry. So everything had to come off....

IMG_4469.JPEG

Thinking the steering gearbox will go back about 2" and swapping to a Sky Offroad pitman arm.
IMG_4461.JPEG

IMG_4466.JPEG

I also have to move the panhard bracket to an inside mount to make space.

IMG_4458.JPEG

Real estate gets eaten up fast with the towers and cans! I'm hoping to get them tac'd in place today to see where everything will fit.

I set the motor and transmission in to get an idea where the new mounts would live. I wanted to raise it up some from the previous LS and it ended up I had to!
IMG_4490.JPEG

Using the stock L86 AC compressor with an adapter manifold angles the ports right at the frame. This ended up being one of the tight spots but raising it helped.
IMG_4501.JPEG

The power steering pump and the steering gearbox are also very close. A 90 off the pressure side will clear and I'll have to bend the tube for the return side a little but it should fit.
IMG_4502.JPEG

It puts the engine very close to the Hydro Booster, but the only interference right now is the fuel inlet tube for the high pressure pump. Its hard line then a flex line so I think I can bend it up a little to fit the adapter.
IMG_4493.JPEG

Here's where the new towers will live. I need to drop them 2-3" for the height I won't need for uptravel I don't have. The axle will only go up so far before the pumpkin hits the panhard bracket. The Ford Dana 60 differential is pushed too far to the outside to be ideal for a narrow frame like the FJ40.
IMG_4511.JPEG
IMG_4517.JPEG

Motor mounts are tac'd in. Transmission mounts landed in the same place as the 6L90 and I just need to raise it at the mount to get the driveline angle I want.
IMG_4519.JPEG

Its hard to tell from the pics and you may have already checked it ? But make sure you turn the wheels lock to lock and check for clearance . The tie rod gets closer at full lock and i know on mine it was very close to the panhard frame mount bolt .

Its hard to tell from the pics and you may have already checked it ? But make sure you turn the wheels lock to lock and check for clearance . The tie rod gets closer at full lock and i know on mine it was very close to the panhard frame mount bolt .
Good point, I'll check that. Looking at where the diff comes close to the frame on full bump I had planned to move the panhard mount forward an inch so the diff won't contact it. It's an inside the frame mount so I doubt the tie rod will hit but it's easy to check, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom