Extended bump-stops or bump stop extensions for lifted 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has 3" lift (it used to have 5") but I've never done anything with the bump-stops. Are they or should they be replaced with something different, or fitted with aftermarket extensions? I have nice Icon 2.0 shocks and I believe the main purpose of bump-stops is to protect the shocks when in compression.

The rear bump-stops are original (old!) factory ones. Front ones I'm presuming are originals too.

After some advice on whether to leave them alone (perhaps just get new factory ones to replace all the old originals) or try to make them longer with extensions or get some that are made extended (which wouldn't be OEM parts presumably)...

Thanks.

I have the icon 2.0 3" lift, and just recently added a 2" bump stop extension for the rear as my driver's rear inner was rubbing in full compression. I would recommend the 2" extension in the rear, my front was fine.

Yes I'm more concerned with the rear ones. I'm replacing the factory stops in any case as mine are originals which are rusted and the rubber is decaying, so figured I'd think about extending them as well to sort that aspect out. It doesn't look like there are any commercially made rear stops that replicate the Toyota design but are taller (so sit further down) so extensions are the go. Where can I look to source 2" extensions? Superior Eng here in Australia makes a kit of 1" extensions so a 'double-up' of those would get me 2" but kinda fugly to go that way. ;)

I don't have welding gear or skills, before someone chips in with that. :cool:

I don't think you need extended bumpstops because of a lift. It is because of larger tires. What size are you running?

I don't think you need extended bumpstops because of a lift. It is because of larger tires. What size are you running?

If longer shocks fitted for a lift have a longer closed length than the original shocks, then bottoming out the suspension without bumpstop extensions will bottom out the shocks first, regardless of tyre size.

My Slinky kit came with rear 79 series bumpstops, I believe. Since you are in Aus, maybe they are easy to get over there?

If longer shocks fitted for a lift have a longer closed length than the original shocks, then bottoming out the suspension without bumpstop extensions will bottom out the shocks first, regardless of tyre size.
Very true and good point. Shocks make a big difference. But I still wouldn't think of it as lift in inches. Most well done full kits will send the right bumpstops with the right kit. But if you are peicing it together, which is fine with a little reaserch, then it is more related to tire size and/or shock specs as you point out. Obviously all parts need to be picked out to work well together.

Ps I just reread the OP post and it does look like he is aiming the question mostly at the shock. So your point is more relivant.

Can you tell us about what 5" lift kit it was and how it became a 3" lift? I am just trying to see if the 5" lift was designed to all work as a set and what was changed to make it a 3" lift.

Because I removed caster plates and higher springs to fit superior eng superflex arms and lower springs. With the caster plates and springs I had before I got very nasty death rattles which were (after I got it a few times and realised I'd done something wrong) because the caster was almost zero. Early 80 series have a different ex-factory caster setting (under 2 deg) than later 8/92 up 80's (3 deg) and that was something i didn't know at the time.

Has anyone identified a shock amongst the commonly supplied “kits” that bottoms out before the axle contacts the factory bump stops?

Has anyone identified a shock amongst the commonly supplied “kits” that bottoms out before the axle contacts the factory bump stops?

A better question is probably which ones don't.

"Kits" leaves a lot of un specified unknowns out there.
Not all kits are created equal, nor all shocks

A better question is probably which ones don't.

"Kits" leaves a lot of un specified unknowns out there.
Not all kits are created equal, nor all shocks

OK, which ones don’t?

The typically paired OME medium or heavy does not.

The Dobinsons of similar spec does not.

I run Icon 2.0 shocks but before that I had Dobinsons to suit a 6" lift when I had the 5" HD springs fitted. The Icon's are not cheap units so I'm aiming to look after them.

Superior Eng here in Oz make extensions but only 1" size. Slee's are 2". Doesn't seem to be anyone selling them locally. BTW there are supposed to be front bump stops that look just like the rear ones but I can't locate where they are! I know about the ones in between the springs.

Craig.

With the truck sitting at ride height, measure the exposed shaft on the shock. Then measure the gap between the bottom of the bumpstop and the axle housing and subtract 1".

If the exposed shaft length is longer than the gap between the bumpstop and housing, that is the minimum extension you need for the bumpstop.

If the exposed shaft length is less than the gap between bumpstop and housing, you are good.

BTW there are supposed to be front bump stops that look just like the rear ones but I can't locate where they are! I know about the ones in between the springs.
The front frame mount bump stops were only on '93 and later fzj80's, at least in North America. You could order them and bolt them on, if the coil mount's are not enough? Search on here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom