Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg
I had to do the same thing, but need to change it to metal like you have as the uhmw is cracking.

Thanks Ben! Swingdown should make it a lot easier to get the tire on and off since I want to mount it a lot higher.

Yeah like Finny said, I put a block of steel to support the arm. Right now it doesn't budget at all. I don't see the tire moving too much either, aside from the small amount of flex from the bushings. I plan on using some more Destaco latches to hold it to the support. Here's a better pic of the steel that supports the bottom of the arm.

84ADtoUh.jpg

Well this one is a swingout and swingdown setup. It will still swingout to open the tailgate just like any other rear bumper. The swing-down will be attached to the swingout and will only be let down when I need to remove the spare tire.

Thank you sir, appreciate it! But I don't mind feedback, good or bad and I wouldn't call it hatin'. I think a lot is misconstrued over the internet. What may seem like taking crap online would most likely end up being a normal conversation in person.

Just saw your pics, that was a NICE setup. I thought about doing a Poison style stinger but like you mentioned, thought it would get annoying quick. The tubing you see will be on the inside, against the tailgate. It will look like a regular tire carrier, but will disconnect to let it swing down when needed. While I do like the rear stingers, it seems like they stick out further than a regular tire carrier. I'm pretty much going for something like this; swingout, swingdown.

booster061.jpg

booster059.jpg

booster063.jpg

Nice, I wanna watch you get that tire on upside down:flipoff2:
but really though, just a suggestion - How about using a sandwich style plate with a V-handle on the back? Like how most bedmount spare's are installed. Might ease the pain of bolting and unbolting an upside down tire?

View attachment 1019705 I had to do the same thing, but need to change it to metal like you have as the uhmw is cracking.

You said you have some vibrations right? And what's the latch setup look like?

Nice, I wanna watch you get that tire on upside down:flipoff2:
but really though, just a suggestion - How about using a sandwich style plate with a V-handle on the back? Like how most bedmount spare's are installed. Might ease the pain of bolting and unbolting an upside down tire?

Ha! That was the next thing I was gonna try and figure out cause no way my short ass would be able to get a 37" tire up that high. I was thinking a simple ratchet strap around the tire just to get it up in the vertical position? I can then attach the lug nuts and torque it down. I already have the tire base with lugs so I'd hate to have to rebuild the whole thing. We'll see...

If I were doing it, I would make the tire mount to the bracket like bobbynelson's, but have just the U-tube like you have. Maybe have to do dual U-tubes...one in front, one in back....kind of a clamshell kind of thing?? I wouldn't like trying to mount the tire with it being face-down.

I would not like the bobbynelson version for how much it blocks the rear gate.

I want a swing-out, but I also know how much of a PITA they are since we have a wheelchair lift one at least one of our vehicles all the time. We will crawl over back seats and throw stuff to the back before we will unclip the rack and get in the back just because it's in the way, even if the WC is not on the rack. (Not supposed to open it if the WC is on it because the sq tube will twist and deflect so much it makes it VERY hard to re-latch it...approx 400 lb WC)

Now, if I could do the spare tire on the top section of the rear lift gate and it would go up with it when I lift the rear gate, the MAYBE I would do it.

Back on the farm, we mounted the spare tire on a rack in FRONT of the grille so it also helped prevent damage to the front of the truck when we would push a bull through the fence! It also helped with hitting large snow drifts so they wouldn't destroy the radiator. Surprisingly, it didn't affect cooling. (1978 Chevy 3/4T 4x4)

I had designed up a swing out swing down bumper for a Willys Wagon project once upon a time. Did exactly as Bilt4me described. Stinger style with another post between the tire and tailgate. The tire would bolt to the swing down stinger, then a baja type T bolt would secure the stinger to the post when the tire was up. Here are a couple pictures from the design:

I would love to see how one would bolt the tire to a swing down holder when the tire is under the swing :bang:

I wouldn't like trying to mount the tire with it being face-down.

I would love to see how one would bolt the tire to a swing down holder when the tire is under the swing :bang:

The reason I didn't want a stinger style with the tube outside the tire is because it's not flexible for tire diameter and width if you want to keep the whole thing tight to the body. Because it cradles the tire, you really need to oversize it in case things change in the future. It may also require more tubing which is just unnecessary weight. And, it's harder to get the tire to sit up very high unless you sacrifice lots of room behind the truck.

As for getting the tire on there, not that complicated really. Use a set of ratchet straps around the tire and mount, loosen the lug nuts, drop the swingdown, loosen the ratchet straps, voila. To get the tire back on, just reverse the steps. It's not like if we're changing tires each time we go wheeling so I can live with it the off chance it does happen.

The reason I didn't want a stinger style with the tube outside the tire is because it's not flexible for tire diameter and width if you want to keep the whole thing tight to the body. Because it cradles the tire, you really need to oversize it in case things change in the future. It may also require more tubing which is just unnecessary weight. And, it's harder to get the tire to sit up very high unless you sacrifice lots of room behind the truck.

As for getting the tire on there, not that complicated really. Use a set of ratchet straps around the tire and mount, loosen the lug nuts, drop the swingdown, loosen the ratchet straps, voila. To get the tire back on, just reverse the steps. It's not like if we're changing tires each time we go wheeling so I can live with it the off chance it does happen.

Yes, I thought about the change in tire width also and I guess there would be compromises in what design you go with VS what your future plans are...

How about two spindles mounted horizontally up high to make almost a "tag axle" and both wheels stick straight out the rear so as you drop down off of something, they can roll down (think of the tag axle out the back on a cement truck), then w/ hydraulics to lift and lower accordingly.....

No, not really, as there are many drawbacks to it, but just thinking outside the box.....

There really is no one perfect solution, especially for higher clearance trucks with large tires. There will be compromises no matter what.

Hey @nukegoat - see, not all my welds look like herpes :) I just need to work on being consistent.
I don't post pics of my welds due to embarassment, so you've got me beat. That looks pretty good... are the welds concave or convex?

You said you have some vibrations right? And what's the latch setup look like?

Ha! That was the next thing I was gonna try and figure out cause no way my short ass would be able to get a 37" tire up that high. I was thinking a simple ratchet strap around the tire just to get it up in the vertical position? I can then attach the lug nuts and torque it down. I already have the tire base with lugs so I'd hate to have to rebuild the whole thing. We'll see...

The latch is horizontal and on top, causing much of the potential for vibes, but totally protected from backing up into rocks, etc.

As far as lifting a 37" tire, c'mon, I'm 6' 165-170# and I manage without hernia. But then again I don't sit at a desk 40 hrs/week :flipoff2: :D

Speaking of that, pretty decent welds from a desk jockey!

I don't post pics of my welds due to embarassment, so you've got me beat. That looks pretty good... are the welds concave or convex?

These were a little convex as I welding welding some really thick plate. When welding the thinner stuff I can sink the bead in further giving a flush or concave look.

The latch is horizontal and on top, causing much of the potential for vibes, but totally protected from backing up into rocks, etc.

As far as lifting a 37" tire, c'mon, I'm 6' 165-170# and I manage without hernia. But then again I don't sit at a desk 40 hrs/week :flipoff2: :D

Speaking of that, pretty decent welds from a desk jockey!

Thank you sir! But I wish it was only 40hrs. And this weekend I tried getting the tire up there. Wasn't as bad as I thought as I can sort of rest it on the tire carrier and push it up. That thing is TALL, you'll see in the pictures I'm about to post.

Home stretch on this bumper build! Got the tire carrier finished up this weekend.

Ag9RTxFh.jpg

Here's the tire carrier just resting against the tailgate. Holy crap this thing is HIGH. I was actually able to lift the tire up there without the need to fold the carrier down. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I was able to rest the tire against the tubing and simply push it up and onto the lugs.

TmRPf04h.jpg

And here's the "gate" I built to hold the tire carrier upright. Still waiting on the latches to arrive.

OdSMnn3h.jpg

Here's the stops I built to rest against the gate. Now what everybody is wondering about...VIBRATIONS. Yeah it shakes a bit if I rock the tire back and forth but that's a function of the spindle and bumper shell. The tire carrier is solid; the movement doesn't come from there. Watching the entire swingout I can see the deflection coming from the corner of the bumper shell at the spindle, this is what's causing the movement. Wonder if there's a way to minimize this a bit? Might just be something I have to live with on a long single swingout bumper.

5YMuQwEh.jpg

And a before and after. Huge difference in side profile and departure angles. And if you'll notice there's less rear end sag with the 4x4Labs. I was under the impression these both weighed about the same. Even with the spare tire mounted I still have about an extra 1/2" in tire-to-fender gap than I did with Sean's bumper. The 4x4Labs bumper must be a lot lighter.

wd5UU2g.jpg

Here's the stops I built to rest against the gate. Now what everybody is wondering about...VIBRATIONS. Yeah it shakes a bit if I rock the tire back and forth but that's a function of the spindle and bumper shell. The tire carrier is solid; the movement doesn't come from there. Watching the entire swingout I can see the deflection coming from the corner of the bumper shell at the spindle said:

When you welded the spindle into the shell did you punch through the lower side shell also?

I know Luke only puts a hole in the upper shell to drop the spindle into, but with mine I continued that hole downwards through the lower side shell. This allowed me to weld the spindle into a "dual sheer" type situations. Made that back corner solid steel, and gives me almost no vibration at all from this point.

-A

When you welded the spindle into the shell did you punch through the lower side shell also?

I know Luke only puts a hole in the upper shell to drop the spindle into, but with mine I continued that hole downwards through the lower side shell. This allowed me to weld the spindle into a "dual sheer" type situations. Made that back corner solid steel, and gives me almost no vibration at all from this point.

-A

Ah, no I didn't but that's a good idea! But on that note, I haven't welded the inside of it yet. It's only welded on the top shell. Once I disassemble everything I'll do the finish welding inside. So that may very well contribute to some of the movement.

This may be a stupid question but isnt the snorkle on the wrong side??? Down here in Aus they go on the other side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom