Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guess I should have piped up sooner. I'll be looking to sell mine at some point. I have the 423s and they are more than I need.
As in too high? How's the ride quality? Some say they're real stiff but lots of guys want their 80 to ride like a luxury sedan.

As in too high? How's the ride quality? Some say they're real stiff but lots of guys want their 80 to ride like a luxury sedan.

A little but of both actually. I'm a little new to the 80 game so I don't have much to compare it too as far as ride goes. I don't have a lot of weight in the back either save for a single swing out bumper with my 35" spare. For height I can't fit it in the garage to work on it unless I take the tires down to 5 psi. I don't need quite this much lift to clear the 35s and for my intended use. At some point I'm going to figure out exactly what combo of springs and shocks I really want and put these up for sale. I bought the truck right before Xmas and the lift was apparently installed 3 months prior so should still be in good shape. There is nothing really wrong with it, just I think I'll like at least a slightly softer ride better. I don't need it to ride like a luxury sedan but would like a little more give.

Last edited:
As in too high? How's the ride quality? Some say they're real stiff but lots of guys want their 80 to fit in the garage like a luxury sedan.
fixed :flipoff2:

Nothing wrong with wanting to work on it in a heated garage as opposed to out in the snow.

She was all like, whatever!

Finally starting on the tire carrier. And finally put the bender to use.

5Lx3luWh.jpg

As mentioned before, it's gonna be a swing-down carrier. Still need to figure out how it will be latched.

2mUjOQVh.jpg

And how it looks so far. Tire will sit up much higher than the old setup, blocking most of the window.

ZYtnz4fh.jpg

? I figured underdawg dropped by to help out ?

:flipoff2:
To funny ... what else is funny is booger paying to be able to talk smack on people here. He got the boot but now wears a vendor flag but never sells anything... kinda lame if you ask me. According to him that was the only way he could come back to the forums. While s***ting on Woody and all the hard work he does. Im not gonna s*** on Jose's thread.. but still kinda lame dude sorry. You can s*** all over my threads all you want. I guarantee things would be a lot different face to face. Carry on.

To funny ... what else is funny is booger paying to be able to talk smack on people here. He got the boot but now wears a vendor flag but never sells anything... kinda lame if you ask me. According to him that was the only way he could come back to the forums. While ****ting on Woody and all the hard work he does. Im not gonna **** on Jose's thread.. but still kinda lame dude sorry. You can **** all over my threads all you want. I guarantee things would be a lot different face to face. Carry on.
Get a life.

5Lx3luWh.jpg

As mentioned before, it's gonna be a swing-down carrier. Still need to figure out how it will be latched.

2mUjOQVh.jpg

And how it looks so far. Tire will sit up much higher than the old setup, blocking most of the window.

ZYtnz4fh.jpg
I dig it! Going to be slick with the fold down tire carrier. So handy and your work compliments the labs design nicely!

o_O I was going to write some explanation / referee / whatever, but not worth my time... but I think you just :barf: all over for no reason... too bad...:meh:

and bim had to go and bring it back to fab when it was getting all "meet you behind the backstop" up in here! :flipoff2:

5Lx3luWh.jpg

2mUjOQVh.jpg

ZYtnz4fh.jpg
Grab some video of how the swing down on the swing out flexes as you're driving around. Post the gopro somewhere that you'll have a good view of the movement at play. I'm interested to see how the compounding of movement plays out.
Have you thought of putting some high density plastic under your swing out to help secure it?

I like the swing down idea. I've been going back and forth on it in my head because the :princess: likes to drive the truck too. It would be a pain for her to lift a huge freaking tire/mounting arm if she needed in the back when I wasn't around.

Have you thought about adding a strut or spring of some sort to assist with the drop/lift?

Also, instead of a latch for the down position, I was considering a bumper post sticking out to rest on the ground. Then the spare can also work as a step to get in and out of the back.
For the Up position, I haven't got a clue yet. Needs to be STURDY for sure

Grab some video of how the swing down on the swing out flexes as you're driving around. Post the gopro somewhere that you'll have a good view of the movement at play. I'm interested to see how the compounding of movement plays out.
Have you thought of putting some high density plastic under your swing out to help secure it?
He put a block of steel there.

Jose, thank you so much for continuing to update your build, despite some really stupid remarks you receive from haters. Without a doubt you have the most amazing rig on here and an inspiration. You're thought process and attention to detail is remarkable. Ive been following this build from the beginning , please keep up the good work, thank you.

5Lx3luWh.jpg

2mUjOQVh.jpg

ZYtnz4fh.jpg

I'll try an post a pic in a little bit, but I did a swing down on my FJC. Rear stinger style, took cues from the poison spider jeep variety. Spring pins held the upper portion to a raised corner panel. Looked really trick, but lifting up and down got old quick. It'll be nicer since you're doing a combo. Is that tube going on the inside? Or outside with mount facing in? I'd assume the latter since that is what I did, goal being when down mounting the tire is easier.

I dig it! Going to be slick with the fold down tire carrier. So handy and your work compliments the labs design nicely!

Thanks Ben! Swingdown should make it a lot easier to get the tire on and off since I want to mount it a lot higher.

He put a block of steel there.

Yeah like Finny said, I put a block of steel to support the arm. Right now it doesn't budget at all. I don't see the tire moving too much either, aside from the small amount of flex from the bushings. I plan on using some more Destaco latches to hold it to the support. Here's a better pic of the steel that supports the bottom of the arm.

84ADtoUh.jpg

I like the swing down idea. I've been going back and forth on it in my head because the :princess: likes to drive the truck too. It would be a pain for her to lift a huge freaking tire/mounting arm if she needed in the back when I wasn't around.

Have you thought about adding a strut or spring of some sort to assist with the drop/lift?

Also, instead of a latch for the down position, I was considering a bumper post sticking out to rest on the ground. Then the spare can also work as a step to get in and out of the back.
For the Up position, I haven't got a clue yet. Needs to be STURDY for sure

Well this one is a swingout and swingdown setup. It will still swingout to open the tailgate just like any other rear bumper. The swing-down will be attached to the swingout and will only be let down when I need to remove the spare tire.

Jose, thank you so much for continuing to update your build, despite some really stupid remarks you receive from haters. Without a doubt you have the most amazing rig on here and an inspiration. You're thought process and attention to detail is remarkable. Ive been following this build from the beginning , please keep up the good work, thank you.

Thank you sir, appreciate it! But I don't mind feedback, good or bad and I wouldn't call it hatin'. I think a lot is misconstrued over the internet. What may seem like taking crap online would most likely end up being a normal conversation in person.

I'll try an post a pic in a little bit, but I did a swing down on my FJC. Rear stinger style, took cues from the poison spider jeep variety. Spring pins held the upper portion to a raised corner panel. Looked really trick, but lifting up and down got old quick. It'll be nicer since you're doing a combo. Is that tube going on the inside? Or outside with mount facing in? I'd assume the latter since that is what I did, goal being when down mounting the tire is easier.

Just saw your pics, that was a NICE setup. I thought about doing a Poison style stinger but like you mentioned, thought it would get annoying quick. The tubing you see will be on the inside, against the tailgate. It will look like a regular tire carrier, but will disconnect to let it swing down when needed. While I do like the rear stingers, it seems like they stick out further than a regular tire carrier. I'm pretty much going for something like this; swingout, swingdown.

booster061.jpg

booster059.jpg

booster063.jpg

I didn't see the block. How much of a space is between the arm and the bumper body? I'm picking up some HDPE for the same purpose as your block of steel.
I think the entire thing is a great idea, particularly when considering how multi-purpose the swing down can be if built right.

I didn't see the block. How much of a space is between the arm and the bumper body? I'm picking up some HDPE for the same purpose as your block of steel.
I think the entire thing is a great idea, particularly when considering how multi-purpose the swing down can be if built right.

It's right under the arm, behind the latch. There's a 1" gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom