Engine swap'tions in an FJ45 LWB. (other than SBC please.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A built 2f would be cool and least complex out of some of those options. Grogan has soon good proof on that build. Probabaly the path I would go and I love diesel.
however...the built 1FZ would be Sweet. Still Toyota, punch that out to 4.6 or more (Notnsure) setup with a sniper or guinea pig what he wants and go from there. If you really want to get froggy, turbo it and hold on. Sniper can already handle that. Stock a 1fz is 215hp, so you can go as high as you want with money on that. Heck a super built 1fz just hit 2000 HP!!!
only issues would be if you want auto...but with an fj45 you have the room.

A built 2f would be cool and least complex out of some of those options. Grogan has soon good proof on that build. Probabaly the path I would go and I love diesel.
however...the built 1FZ would be Sweet. Still Toyota, punch that out to 4.6 or more (Notnsure) setup with a sniper or guinea pig what he wants and go from there. If you really want to get froggy, turbo it and hold on. Sniper can already handle that. Stock a 1fz is 215hp, so you can go as high as you want with money on that. Heck a super built 1fz just hit 2000 HP!!!
only issues would be if you want auto...but with an fj45 you have the room.
Yeah boy... But do I have the cash? mmm probably not.

I just bought a carb'd 1FZ head and manifolds to play with and do just that. I believe you can bolt a 1FZ carb manifold to an EFI head, but I have not been able to find any more manifolds, which sucks because that would make a nice clean swap.

After that one, I'm going to try and run the 1FZ with the Holley stand-alone computer and keep the factory intake and fuel rail. This route should actually be cheaper than the Sniper once figured out have a better end result. I think that would be a great motor for an older cruiser.
I imagine building a custom intake for a sniper wouldn't be hard. Biggest issue i would think would be timing control.

I imagine building a custom intake for a sniper wouldn't be hard. Biggest issue i would think would be timing control.
Wonder if a sniper would control gen2 1FZ coil packs

Pretty sure inchworm makes a tcase that will allow you to use a stock 40 front housing. Search for their ‘lefty’ case. It’s a modified gear driven case.

Wonder if a sniper would control gen2 1FZ coil packs

If I was doing a Sniper in a NA application, I’d probably just use the 1FZ vac advance distributor. It’s available and reasonable.

If I was going turbo, or didn’t want to build a manifold (I don’t want to make a manifold, but am a buyer if somebody does!), I’d go to one of the standalone systems and use the 1FZ-FE intake and fuel plumbing, and try to switch to a coil on plug ignition controlled by the computer.

The 98+ 1FZs got a 15% boost in power. I don’t see why we couldn’t at least do that with a few internal tweaks and modern computing.

Last edited:
Jim, you missed my earlier comment of no way I will put in a Chevy. It's a long story but I just can't. I know I may even be able to afford that more but still, it's just not an option for me.
Yep, I caught that, but I figured maybe you just had a bonner against the Chevy V8 engine, not the innocent little 4.3 ???

Hey.........maybe you could crowd-source-fund the new motor by selling cool little key rings:)

I think I still have a few from the original LCML -- Zebranator project:cool:

Hey.........maybe you could crowd-source-fund the new motor by selling cool little key rings:)

I think I still have a few from the original LCML -- Zebranator project:cool:

Wow. Someone from the old days! :bounce2:
I still have my custom one. I engraved the back with zebra stripes instead of a number.

1KD-FTV
Perfect match to a 40 and nothing compares to a modern diesel.

images (1).jpeg

Keep it Toyota, I like the 1FZ-FE & 1KD-FTV but you could also look at:

1UZ-FE is a nice engine with +/-265hp, later models with VVTI did +/-300hp.
2UZ-FE (heavier) drivetrain out of a 100 series would make it easier, 3UZ-FE has more power than those two but is more expensive.

The engine "fits", it has been done and I'm currently doing one.
If you were using a H55F 5 speed you could buy a bellhousing off Dellow.

You could also use a A343F with HF1A, HF2A or HF2AV transfer case.

The 4.0 out of the Tacoma is a great option, lovely motor. Best motor out of all the Tacoma's to date, even better than the current 3.5.

"Parts a plentiful" and will be for many years to come.

Another option people will probably s*** on because it doesn't have as much power and but is technically a Cruiser motor is the 2.7 out of the tacoma as well. It's been in production since 2005 in the states and is still currently being used in the tacoma, and if it can push that truck around it will most certainly push the FJ45. It's a cheaper option and parts will be made for that motor for a long long time. Great gas milage as well... I bet you would see low to mid 20s at lower speeds 50mph>.

Both will require a centered rear axle. Adapters can be had to run a passenger side case so swapping the front axle will not be necessary.

Hell if marlin gets there act together with there adapters they did sell adapters to run a land cruiser transmission and tranferscase behind it = requiring no axle changes.

Aside from that the 1UZ and 2UZ are great options but getting a little old, and I don't quite like the heat generated by any V8 in an old metal Land Cruiser.

Good Luck with your decisions...

P.S. I personally can't wait for an electric drop in motor to be available for antique trucks. Realistically classic vehicles are not great to drive fast or be in for hours at a time. So having a electric classic that could just be charged at home and driven around town or to some local trails would be ideal.

That being said I would have to have two classics because of all the vehicles I have owned or driven the 1/2F with an H42 is still my favorite and would always want that in my stable.

~Al :beer:

The 4.0 out of the Tacoma is a great option, lovely motor. Best motor out of all the Tacoma's to date, even better than the current 3.5.

"Parts a plentiful" and will be for many years to come.

~Al :beer:
Again, I love the 4.0L. It's in my Tacoma. That was my first idea to put in the 45 but the axle swaps were putting it out of range.

And @YvesNL , that bell housing costs more than a Sniper kit! And that's not considering shipping from down under.

I know you are not a fan but a 4.8 ls in Chevy trucks with a tune is hard to beat,. 300hp and really good mpg for what it is.. and they last forever and don't leak.all o ring gaskets GM finally after 50years built a motor that doesn't leak.. . my 6.0 3/4 ton suburban get 18 mpg on the highway, 365hp and will tow almost as good as my 400hp Cummins..

On the Toyota side I would go a different route,. 3rz with a r151 and a splitcase.. (factory adapter prado). 150hp they run good get good mileage 20+ and you have a simple reliable combo you can get parts anywhere. A tacoma should be about the same weight as your fj45 so performance should be about the same except at higher speeds where aerodynamics get you.. you should be able to buy a wrecked taco 4x4 with either the 3rz or the 2tr are both great motors the manual behind them is a r151 like the older v6,. Very robust ..

On the Toyota side I would go a different route,. 3rz with a r151 and a splitcase..
Okay. I'll go down this hole. I haven't looked very hard yet but so far it looks like I'd have the same drive line offset issue. The t-case drops to the right but the rear output is in the middle. Am I right? Your suggestion carries decent power, decent gas mileage, and a reasonably easy fit (only 4 deep). Do you know where and how much for this setup? The cash department is just as important. So far the engine looks very reasonable. I'm curious if you have a ball park for the entire deal.

Thanks for the input.

Okay. I'll go down this hole. I haven't looked very hard yet but so far it looks like I'd have the same drive line offset issue. The t-case drops to the right but the rear output is in the middle. Am I right? Your suggestion carries decent power, decent gas mileage, and a reasonably easy fit (only 4 deep). Do you know where and how much for this setup? The cash department is just as important. So far the engine looks very reasonable. I'm curious if you have a ball park for the entire deal.

Thanks for the input.

The parado overseas built on the 70 series with lighter components,. They used the same split case transfer case as the fj60 but came with the R151 manual like the tacomas with the 2tr..

They built alot of parado's so it should be easy to source,. Gives you offset driveshafts just like your fj45 came with..

On the price that depends on mileage and condition,. I havent priced a wrecked taco but check iaai and copart

Thread feels like a "I've got my mind made up but want public approval".
Well, no. And yes. I kind of have my mind made up in that I'm narrowing it down. Option A) is the Cop Motor/5speed. That said, I'd like a good option B) to compare it with. I don't want to "re-invent the Cruiser" with a conversion that takes tons of parts and custom tabbed stuff. Relatively easy will suffice. I do like the sound of the 3FE manifolds idea. Plan A) is missing one element. better gas mileage.

Enter one crazy far off course option. Biggest problem is WAIT. I can't reveal exactly what it is but I'm involved with a friend of my old hot rod buddy Gene (rip) who's invented a new engine. This guy was chief engineer of Mercury Racing back in the 50s and 60s. They were the team everyone was trying to beat. Smart guy. Old guy. His engine is a 120ci V4 that puts out 200hp at 100mpg. And it runs on gas. No, I'm not kidding. No emissions either. No. I'm not kidding here either. It's still in development. I've asked him if I could be the first to put one in a Toyota. I just may not be able to wait that long. THAT would be cool. Funny looking under the hood maybe, but COOL. My buddy Gene owns patents in that engine. He even invented a new valve that's now called the McCrickard Valve. Posthumously named for him. Since he's the one I'm avoiding SBC's for, that would be the perfect install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom