Engine squealing only first crank of the day.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 100's engine started to squeal (short and not loud) few weeks ago, but usually only on the first crank in the morning when I start the car in garage, that's it. Rig received fairly major service three months ago-
replaced timing belt
-drive belt
-all related tensioners, pulleys
-fan bracket, fan clutch
-water pump
-oil pump seal
-oil change
-ATF, Diff oil, brake fluid
-coolant, radiator
-lubed all driveshaft fittings
All OEM Toyota parts.
What could be the cause of the squealing? This is my daily driver and no other symptoms noticed.

Usually its the serpentine belt and/or tensioner that squeaks on startup.

Can you take a video and post it?

1687916053070.png

My 100's engine started to squeal (short and not loud) few weeks ago, but usually only on the first crank in the morning when I start the car in garage, that's it. Rig received fairly major service three months ago-
replaced timing belt
-drive belt
-fan bracket, fan clutch
-water pump
-oil pump seal
-oil change
-coolant, radiator
All OEM Toyota parts.
What could be the cause of the squealing? This is my daily driver and no other symptoms noticed.
Do you know what components were used? Was this all AISIN or OEM? What brand is the drive belt?

For the drive belt, I see you stated all tensioner and idler pulleys were replaced, was this also a quality brand? I used a dorman pulley as a stop gap and it started going out pretty fast.

Best bet is to pull the serpentine belt off, and spin each accessory. Since it's a new belt it shouldn't have any small debris embedded in the rubber. But it does sound like the belt is spinning or a pulley bearing is bad.

Last edited:
As stated, all Toyota OEM, I personally picked them up at a Toyota dealer. I tried to record the sound but it stopped for some reason the last few days. It does sometimes make the same sound after I back up from the garage and switch into Drive first time of the day, but that's it.

As stated, all Toyota OEM, I personally picked them up at a Toyota dealer. I tried to record the sound but it stopped for some reason the last few days. It does sometimes make the same sound after I back up from the garage and switch into Drive first time of the day, but that's it.

Apparently if you try and record the sound it won't happen. I suggest installing a dashcam so you're always recording and the sound won't ever come back.

Miles and location? I would remove the serpentine belt and try spinning the AC and other pullies. I had to replace the clutch bearing about 18 months ago after I had replaced all other pulleys and pumps.

replaced timing belt
-drive belt
-fan bracket, fan clutch
-water pump
-oil pump seal
-oil change
-coolant, radiator
All OEM Toyota parts.
"oil pump seal". I assume, you're referring to crank seal!

Since all OEM pulleys for timing belt and drive belt along with drive belt. This narrows it down. I'll assume at morning start-up HVAC off, so blower fan off which can squeal. AC compressor off also, so it's unlikely you'll hear it.

A few common possibilities remain.
  • Alternator bearing failure: I place a stethoscope on it. Liston while you turn ON and OFF all accessories, with engine running.
  • Brake master, high pressure seal leak: With hood open turn IG SW to ON and watch front of brake reservoir. Do not start engine, which makes difficult to hear brake booster motor. Pump brake pedal a few times in-between brake booster motor run times. As brakes fluid and seals heat (expand), seal tighten. So this often only happens at first start, up on cold mornings. Over times it get worst, squeal more often.

Engine squealed again, attached the recording.

I guess it won't allow me to attach mp4 file.

I was able to have someone hear it and it is determined to be from the belts. I have it scheduled to be taken back where I got all the major work done last but it won't be for another two weeks. It seems to be a bit more frequent and maybe a second or two longer now, but still first thing of the day. In the mean time, can I apply some dielectric grease by hand or is there a spray someone can suggest to get it lubricated safely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom