Engine pull help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone I need some help. I'm pulling just the engine on my 80 (3FE). Ive been trying to pull it for weeks and just can't get it to slide off of the bell housing. The two are split a few millimeters but they just don't want to separate. All of the trans bolts are out. Motor mounts off, wiring harness etc.. I've searched every nook and cranny for something still holding the two together. Any advise other than pulling it with the trans? That's my last resort

I have not pulled one of these to know, however, I have done other brands AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn this week.

There may be a couple guide pins that are holing you up. Not uncommon for them to corrode or get buildup on them that prevents separation or it is binding. Find the sweet spot with the lift and height that the engine to trans wiggles, then stick a large screwdriver or wedge in there to force separation, then let them down and let the weight of the engine do the work for you. I did this with an old Studebaker and it took a while, but it did the trick.

I had similar issues pulling a 1fz recently and ended up putting a small piece of wood right where the bottom of the bell housing meets the tranny, and raising a floor jack at that point to help get separation at the top, and like was said earlier, find that sweet spot where it can wiggle

What about sending a friend under there with a pry bar while you work the engine hoist ?
Tried that a few times, still just can't get it to separate very much. Almost feels like I missed something because when we pull on it it separates a little bit, but it just pops back to where it was.

I have not pulled one of these to know, however, I have done other brands AND I stayed at a Holiday Inn this week.

There may be a couple guide pins that are holing you up. Not uncommon for them to corrode or get buildup on them that prevents separation or it is binding. Find the sweet spot with the lift and height that the engine to trans wiggles, then stick a large screwdriver or wedge in there to force separation, then let them down and let the weight of the engine do the work for you. I did this with an old Studebaker and it took a while, but it did the trick.
I'd bet on this. I've had this happen too. If the engine, bell housing and xmsn aren't inline, you won't get them apart unless you've pulled the whole thing out of the truck and it's on the floor. I have an 18" flat blade screwdriver for just this purpose. It's also handy as a backscratcher.

If you do decide to pull the whole thing and then separate them, put the bolts back in. If you don't, you'll get the crankshaft pulley over the bumper and the xmsn will fall off under its own weight.

All tranny bolts out, pry bar between the two while someone pulls the engine hoist forward make sure your engine is level to the tranny

Thinking outside the box a little.... on the 1fz, it is a pain to get these lined up perfectly. If your having this much trouble taking them apart, I can't imagine the reinstall will go any easier. Further, I have read several folks bending the flex plate trying to reinstall engine to tranny in the car.

My point is, maybe you bolt them back up and pull the tranny with the engine.

however, I slept in my crappy old bed last night, so @BILT4ME may be right.

You didn't mention the flexplate to torque converter bolts. Have those been pulled?

It's the best practice. Otherwise, you are pulling the torque converter out of the front of the transmission, which is yet another binding point. Additionally, the converter usually dumps a bunch of ATF when you pull it that way.

I would definitely undo those. little work for a lot of gain

It's the best practice. Otherwise, you are pulling the torque converter out of the front of the transmission, which is yet another binding point. Additionally, the converter usually dumps a bunch of ATF when you pull it that way.

Can also damage the converter bushing, seal, etc. Whenever possible remove the converter bolts and push it back away from the flex plate, it should stay in the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom