Engine Harness - replace or repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My engine harness has some damage from the egr pipe. The insulation is burnt and there are a few exposed wires. No malfunctions that I am aware of pre-teardown but still concerning. Since I have the engine out already for my now long slow rebuild (now in year 3), does it make sense to just replace it instead of trying to repair? I'm thinking yes, but at $500 for the part I would like some reassurance. Thoughts???

500 is a deal I have a new OEM harness sitting here I paid almost 800.

I burned up my harness at the same spot a few years ago in the middle of the AZ highway in BFE. Took me about four hours to repair the damage on the side of the road but made it home so I could make final repairs.

the harness is a lot of work and I’d rather repair than replace unless the damage is really that extensive. If it were a truck I was going to be selling then I’d replace the harness so ghosts don’t haunt you or the new owner.

Thanks. I think I'm just going to replace it. The goal here is to get this truck as close to brand new as possible so it makes sense. After that I might plop one of your turbo kits in there :)

Thanks. I think I'm just going to replace it. The goal here is to get this truck as close to brand new as possible so it makes sense. After that I might plop one of your turbo kits in there :)
Im learning same way but may stick with supercharger. Has anyone got video of turbo OFF ROAD??

If the engine is out and you can access the whole harness I'd comb through it and fix as necessary. Then I would tape it up really nice and cover with some fresh loom to protect it for the long haul.

Although if you can buy a brand new one for $500 jump on it, I thought they were no longer available.

Get a new one while they last!

Not sure about the availability of the 93-94 wiring harnesses but I thought I read they were discontinued.

It's in my bunker. :cool:

I know you already got one but for those reading this I have a couple obd1 and 2 engine harnesses left. They are used but since the early years are discontinued thought I would throw it out there.

slow95z, during the 5 years I've been a member of Mud I've read many of your posts. I'd just like to say you are a real asset to the Mud community. It seems like you are always ready, and willing to provide good quality used parts to members in need. Members like you are what makes Mud a great resource to our hobby.

Last edited:
Get a new one while they last!

Not sure about the availability of the 93-94 wiring harnesses but I thought I read they were discontinued.
I think I got one of the last ones back in 2015. Wasn’t long afterwards that I read they were NLA. I ended up rolling that 94 and now the months old harness is attached to and collecting dust with that engine.

slow95z, during the 5 years I've been a member of Mud I've read many of your posts. I'd just like to say you are a real asset to the Mud community. It seems like you are always ready, and willing to provide good quality used parts to members in need. Members like you are what makes Mud a great resource to our hobby.

Thanks man, I try to always help out and give the best advice I can. My main mission is to keep as many of these things on the road as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom