Engine Beauty Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think taking away the cover will make any difference. They'll still be underhood finding a different spot to chew on.

I have one of these installed 3 yrs ago. Cake to install. Not so much for home, but since I BLM camp regularly in the middle of nowhere, better safe than sorry.

I can't say if it works one way or another but I'm always greeted by it happily flashing away underhood when doing maintenance. Reviews suggest they do work, but maybe not on all varieties of critters

Amazon product ASIN B07LCKBGY8
Certainly worth a try. Thanks.

Apparently mice don't like the smell of mint/peppermint. Tractor Supply sells small bags of it to keep mice out of tractor engine compartments during the winter. I used several in my boat while it was stored in the barn for the winter...no rodent issues. Full disclosure: there are some barn cats that came with my place, free of charge, that my GSD has not managed kill yet...so I can't be certain the mint crap or the cats did the job.

I'm out in the country with vehicles inside and out as well. Mice are a big problem

I use a peppermint spray I got off Amazon but you have to spray it for days in a row to flush them out of the routine. After that, put Grandpa Gus's packets in the car and under the hood secured someplace. That combo seems to work.

All of the farmers leave their hoods open to avoid these little assholes. It seems to work.

Ping me if you want brands. I'll look them up. I also have a few very successful traps that have worked for years. Got 2 yesterday...

I keep the lights on in my garage. All of them. I also pop the hood when any truck is going to be sitting for more than a few days.

I keep the lights on in my garage. All of them. I also pop the hood when any truck is going to be sitting for more than a few days.
I haven't had luck with this.

@NoClue Where in the engine bay did you put those bags?

I already have enough stuff attached to my battery for now and I would rather avoid yet another battery drain for the ultrasonic things. I have tried the AC variant of these in my garage, but I'm seeing the little bast*rds despite their use. After seeing and resetting classic traps with peanut butter and setting the trigger pad to almost go off by just moving the trap just to find them empty the next day I have had enough. I got one of the battery traps that supposedly electrocutes them and went that way. Last friday I got about 25 glue traps and 3 bucket traps to go all out. I didn't have this issue with my old rig and I'm wondering if some sort of coating on the wiring/insulation is drawing the mice in? Or the smell of the coolant? Just speculating.

This probably belongs in the SQOD thread, but here goes: How do I remove this cover to check underneath/clean? Don’t want to experiment, break some clips and have a spring for a new one.

This probably belongs in the SQOD thread, but here goes: How do I remove this cover to check underneath/clean? Don’t want to experiment, break some clips and have a spring for a new one.
Pull up from the front. They’re compression fittings.

Thread title says a lot... engine beauty cover. Except it's not beautiful. It's a hinderance. Personally, I did not like opening my hood only to find a multi-piece shroud of plastic trim covering the engine. In other words, to actually, you know work on the engine, I would have to open two engine covers. No, thank you.

One of the first "modifications" I do to my vehicles is remove engine cover and hood blanket. Sure removing the cover(s) may let a minuscule amount of engine noise into the cabin, but hearing the low grunt of a big ol' V8 is a good thing, in other words, it's not an undesirable sound. Furthermore, I prefer the convenience of opening the hood and being able to glance at engine fluid levels and overall condition quickly. Cleaning it is a quick three minute activity. And spotting leaks is way easier.

Besides, this is much nicer to look at than plastic trim. 165K miles.
IMG_5953.jpg

You don't need the clips except for the small center piece over the radiator. The covers stay in place just fine without them. Haven't had mine clipped in for 3 years. Lift and look to check fluids.

Thread title says a lot... engine beauty cover. Except it's not beautiful. It's a hinderance. Personally, I did not like opening my hood only to find a multi-piece shroud of plastic trim covering the engine. In other words, to actually, you know work on the engine, I would have to open two engine covers. No, thank you.

One of the first "modifications" I do to my vehicles is remove engine cover and hood blanket. Sure removing the cover(s) may let a minuscule amount of engine noise into the cabin, but hearing the low grunt of a big ol' V8 is a good thing, in other words, it's not an undesirable sound. Furthermore, I prefer the convenience of opening the hood and being able to glance at engine fluid levels and overall condition quickly. Cleaning it is a quick three minute activity. And spotting leaks is way easier.

View attachment 3306705
That’s a clean looking engine bay. I removed all my plastic trim thingie too. Can’t check any fluids with it on and you won’t be able to see the common radiator crack at the top. My battery terminals looks old and corroded and I’d like to get a cooler looking battery tie down and oil cap. I’m one of those that lifts up the hood and check at every fill up.

View attachment 3306705
How many times in your ownership have you experienced the hinderance of having to remove the cover to work on your engine?

Sure removing the cover(s) may let a minuscule amount of engine noise into the cabin, but hearing the low grunt of a big ol' V8 is a good thing, in other words, it's not an undesirable sound. Furthermore, I prefer the convenience of opening the hood and being able to glance at engine fluid levels and overall condition quickly. Cleaning it is a quick three minute activity. And spotting leaks is way easier.

View attachment 3306705

Cool story. Removing the engine cover and especially underhood mat will contribute to the paint on your hood failing early.

The surrounds on a LX, I totally get. But removing the section over the top of the core support neglects the careful airflow management toyota built into these things. That gasket on the underside of the hood isn't there as a gift.

That said, do what you like. I just don't want others coming along thinking this is a good strategy for paint and cooling system health. They can easily check fluids and spot leaks with the engine cover (toyota doesn't call it a "beauty cover") in place like hundreds of us on this board. Also to those people.. don't use armor all under the hood. Dirt just sticks to it.

Hmm. In my critter experience, mice/rats get used to lights just fine if there’s no activity… They also get used to fans & other predictable noises.

Annoyingly smart little boogers…

One time years ago, I went down a youtube mouse trap rabbit hole. The bucket traps are reeeeeaaalll effective.
Not the most humane thing, but with a tall enough bucket for the qty. of mice, you don't have to use water...
You will still have to "dispose" of them somehow though.

View attachment 3306705

You might want to be aware the covers are functional on the LX and the very forward part is integral to baffling the radiator. Removing them will give up some percentage of cooling capacity. If you ever are crawling in low speed offroad, or maybe even crawling in traffic, you may want to watch that coolant temp.

As said by others, it's more a mental obstacle to removing them. A couple minutes.

I mean, to each their own but it literally takes 10 seconds to remove/install it.

Yes, 10 seconds to remove. 3 hours to chase all the clips that popped off out of your hands into the abyss. LOL
Ive had practice now though. No more fiddling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom