Engine Beauty Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that Scotty Kilmer says to get rid of them as they serve no other purpose other than trapping more heat under the hood.

I thought I would ask here for opinions.

7j7qla.jpg

I know that Scotty Kilmer says to get rid of them as they serve no other purpose other than trapping more heat under the hood.

I thought I would ask here for opinions.

Insignificant.

Where it does have some benefits is noise attenuation. But maybe again not enough to matter for some.

Keep it on, its there to preserve the paint on your hood; and look “nice”.

The big problem I have is where I live, my vehicles are invaded by swarms of field mice and they love to make their home underneath the cover. I have had to dig out a few nests and clean copious amounts of mouse poo from off the engine every time I remove the cover. If I could discourage the little bastards somewhat, it might be worth while. Cooking mouse does not smell good. Not to mention what they do to the wiring.

Last time I went on vacation for two weeks, I had to set almost two dozen mouse traps in and underneath my GTI. When I got back, most were occupied. Yuck!

Maybe I am worrying about this more than I should.

The big problem I have is where I live, my vehicles are invaded by swarms of field mice and they love to make their home underneath the cover. I have had to dig out a few nests and clean copious amounts of mouse poo from off the engine every time I remove the cover. If I could discourage the little bastards somewhat, it might be worth while. Cooking mouse does not smell good. Not to mention what they do to the wiring.

Last time I went on vacation for two weeks, I had to set almost two dozen mouse traps in and underneath my GTI. When I got back, most were occupied. Yuck!

Get like 6 cats.

The LC is driven every day. Here is what I found earlier today that was the impetus for starting the thread:

_RX10467.JPG

This is new, within the last couple of days.

Isn’t it good for engine noise reduction?

Yes you are worrying too much. Do you park inside ?

Do you park inside ?
Only the GTI is parked inside as the rest of the garage is filled with non-car stuff plus my BMW 1150 GS. The GTI suffers even more of a mouse problem. I have traps all over the garage.

The big problem I have is where I live, my vehicles are invaded by swarms of field mice and they love to make their home underneath the cover.

given the mouse problem i would take the cover off and maybe keep it in the garage if you decide to ever put it back on. its reall there more for noise reduction and give a cleaner look.

my advice with scotty kilmer is dotn do what he says, there are way more knowledgeable people out there with toyota specific experience that will be better able to make recommendations. and the engine is liquid cooled so any heat the the cover keeps in is going to be negligible, you want air over the rad not the engine block to keep things cool

The dude is a clown… typical of the worst click bait on youtube.

The cover helps avoid road dirt getting into some places and definitely helps avoid radiant heat transfer to the hood pad and hood.

Ten years ago I was removing them as a matter of routine. Then I learned how useful they can be. If that many rodents were in the mix it may change my calculus but then I’d probably also risk burning my garage down with home-made motion-activated blow torches.

The dude is a clown… typical of the worst click bait on youtube.

The cover helps avoid road dirt getting into some places and definitely helps avoid radiant heat transfer to the hood pad and hood.

Ten years ago I was removing them as a matter of routine. Then I learned how useful they can be. If that many rodents were in the mix it may change my calculus but then I’d probably also risk burning my garage down with home-made motion-activated blow torches.
I have thought about motion activated blow torches!

Trying to get rid of rodents is like trying to sweep back the tide.

I have to agree that he is about the worst click-bait on the internet. He can be entertaining though and I have learned quite a bit about using scan tools.

Thing is, when you try and do your own research on something like this, half of the self-proclaimed internet experts say the covers serve no purpose other than aesthetics while the other half say they actually serve a functional purpose. That is why I thought I would tap into the actual experts here. :)

Thing is, when you try and do your own research on something like this, half of the self-proclaimed internet experts say the covers serve no purpose other than aesthetics while the other half say they actually serve a functional purpose.

both are somewhat correct but usually when someone says that its important their over stating or wildly inaccurate wit it. the noise insulation factor is really what its there for and thats going to be more of a personal preference whether you want it or not, it helps but given that yours is turning into a mouse house id 86 that thing

I agree. Neither option is do or die.

So, let me get this straight, we can mostly agree the 200 is one of the best built longest lasting SUv’s but are questioning the team of engineers that developed the shields under the hood??

that is correct, just like i question making the wire harness insulation out of soy based materials that is pretty much rodent food.

I don't think taking away the cover will make any difference. They'll still be underhood finding a different spot to chew on.

I have one of these installed 3 yrs ago. Cake to install. Not so much for home, but since I BLM camp regularly in the middle of nowhere, better safe than sorry.

I can't say if it works one way or another but I'm always greeted by it happily flashing away underhood when doing maintenance. Reviews suggest they do work, but maybe not on all varieties of critters

Amazon product ASIN B07LCKBGY8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom