Removing the Engine Covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just picked up a 2014 LX570 for my wife, and the engine covers drive me nuts. It surely makes checking fluids a chore. Is there any good reason to leave them in place? Otherwise, they're coming off.
Kept mine on for 4 years feeling the same as you.. finally yeeted them 2 weeks ago. (Obviously no impact on noise/function etc, but might be a value added thing if you plan on selling it down the road?)

Kept mine on for 4 years feeling the same as you.. finally yeeted them 2 weeks ago. (Obviously no impact on noise/function etc, but might be a value added thing if you plan on selling it down the road?)
Didn't notice an increase in noise? I was wondering if that was one of their functions.

Didn't notice an increase in noise? I was wondering if that was one of their functions.
Ya I did too, wondering if it cut any frequencies or something but I don’t think so. Just spent 16hrs on the highway with my fiance and she said the truck ran quieter this year than last so who knows

Not a fan, either.

So far my solution is to keep the hood shut...out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

The integrated forward part of the covers is important to maximizing radiator performance. It won't make a difference until it makes a difference In towing or low speed crawling, to keep the engine from overheating. In towing, it forces the air through rather than up and over. In crawling, it keeps hot underhood air rom recirculating over the radiator.

I cut mine to improve access, while keeping the important forward part.

I’ll second @TeCKis300 on this. The rear parts aren’t important for function, but the parts over the core support will matter exactly when you need things to go well.. when you are really pushing the cooling system.

I’ll second @TeCKis300 on this. The rear parts aren’t important for function, but the parts over the core support will matter exactly when you need things to go well.. when you are really pushing the cooling system.
Idk if something astrological is in alignment, but just managed to have my engine covers fished out of a large-waste dumpster at my storage unit.. still sitting there 2 weeks later. Thanks for the intel all, sorry for the ignorant input earlier @Von Hayek

There is something to keeping the front part to ensure the radiator gets the proper airflow. Here is how I cut mine:

In the chop club. I have the relay box for my switch panel on a Slee tray at the passenger firewall that I had to trim the cover, can't really see it from the top though.

PXL_20230704_030720505.jpg

Personally, I’d just have a look under a 200 hood…and find a way to remove anything you’ve got that was deemed unnecessary by Toyota. There is no way in heck the 200 is “heat handicapped” compared to the same-engine LX…so let that be your guide.

I took mine off years ago to give the mice/rats one less place to hide.

Personally, I’d just have a look under a 200 hood…and find a way to remove anything you’ve got that was deemed unnecessary by Toyota. There is no way in heck the 200 is “heat handicapped” compared to the same-engine LX…so let that be your guide.

No one said it is.. Most every car has some version of a baffle to the upper radiator bracket including the LC. It's just integrated into the larger cover on the LX.

1703522652217.png

I would love the part number on this baffle.

I'm 99% sure it won't fit the LX. The profiles are different. If you look at the hood latch as a reference, the LX grill is further forward.

1703523534867.png

Chopping down the LX covers to copy the LC format is simple.

I suppose that I'll eventually adapt to the covers.

I'm trying very hard not to mod this LX...must resist the urge.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom