Engine and Transfer Case Compatibility? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1991 FJ80 that needs a transfer case.

I am starting to think The Amish Electrician keeps the HF2A transfer cases with the hen's teeth.

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about fitment.

Is there any difference in the transfer case depending upon engine?

This one has the 4L 6-cyl 3F-E engine.

Thanks!

What makes you think that you need a transfer case? They are extremely overbuilt and very rarely fail as long as you keep oil in them.
There are rebuild kits available from Cruiser Outfitters and Valley Hybrids.
The HF2A came on the 91/92 FJ80 in the US. 93+ had the HF2AV. Both will bolt up to the A440F transmission, but the HF2AV has a longer rear extension housing for the viscous coupler and will require a shorter rear driveshaft.

I am starting to think The Amish Electrician keeps the HF2A transfer cases with the hen's teeth.

I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about fitment.

Is there any difference in the transfer case depending upon engine?

This one has the 4L 6-cyl 3F-E engine.

Thanks!
We have brand new 100% direct fit HF2A t-cases avail to ship as soon as tomorrow morning.

Or, we can offer a rebuild kit and parts to fix up your current case or send a rebuilt used case. What is up with yours now?

What makes you think that you need a transfer case? They are extremely overbuilt and very rarely fail as long as you keep oil in them.
There are rebuild kits available from Cruiser Outfitters and Valley Hybrids.
The HF2A came on the 91/92 FJ80 in the US. 93+ had the HF2AV. Both will bolt up to the A440F transmission, but the HF2AV has a longer rear extension housing for the viscous coupler and will require a shorter rear driveshaft.

There is a gear noise that isn't quite as bad as an air raid siren but close.

It sounded like rear differential, but upon disassembly and inspection nothing was wrong in the rear diff.

Put the vehicle up on a lift, removed the rear drive shaft, started it up and accelerated in gear to the equivalent of highway speed, and the noise was unmistakably coming from the rear output shaft of the T-case.

I could still be wrong, but this seems like a reasonable place to start looking. These things are entirely new to me, but I've got the FJ bug now. I get it why these things are so popular.

It's a rather odd case, doesn't have real high mileage and no indication of severe off road use but it does look like it was used for towing and it looks like two owners ago the maintenance was being done at the Firestone quick-lube shop and they apparently missed some important details. There was nothing left of the front axles or steering knuckles when I got it.

A work in progress.

Grateful for the help here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom