Ends of the Earth - Hurricane Sandy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Philanthropy and community service has been something that I've supported, and participated in, since I was young. When I was a co-op for Toyota back in 2009, I met Matt Ertle, who runs Ends of the Earth 4x4, an upstart organization that collects and provides supplies ( medical or otherwise ) to those in need, with our four wheel drive trucks. Matt Ertle is the newest member of ONSC.

The first trip I participated in was an expedition to the Red Bird Mission in Beverly, KY ( Matt, correct me if I am remembering the name incorrectly ). We loaded up our trucks with a ton of medial supplies among various other things, and trucked down to this mission. In need would be a generous way to describe the state of affairs there. With a small hospital, clothes donation / distribution center and crafts store, this mission strives to provide basic needs and medical attention to the destitute of Appalachia in KY. A noble task indeed. http://rbmission.org/

Matt has also made trips out to Mexico and other parts of the country, to bring relief wherever possible. More details about EOE4x4 here:
http://eoe4x4.org/

Hurricane Sandy has produced a huge demand for supplies. As I'm sure you all are aware, there are thousands of people who's homes were destroyed, and millions more without power. Matt is organizing a trip up to Ocean City, MD or Atlantic City, NJ to bring as many supplies as possible. List is below.

Items Needed:

Friday afternoon / Saturday morning both work for me. I'm gonna have to put my pup in the kennel for the weekend either way :frown:

Allen, we'll talk more about logistics tomorrow, but sounds like you've got some pretty good connections at that company of yours :grinpimp:

I just got off the phone with the Atlantic City Rescue Mission and I put us down for the 17th. Their manager will call me back to get more specifics, but we're locked in boys and girls!!

This is their 'Items Needed' list:

http://www.acrescuemission.org/page.aspx?pid=339

Food Products
Full Uncooked Turkeys and unsliced rolls of Lunchmeat
Whole Hams, Pork for pulled pork sandwiches
Bacon, sausage, spam and scrapple for breakfast meals
New packages of socks and underwear
Canned meat or fish, chicken
Mayo, celery, carrots, onions,
Powdered milk, eggs, and sliced cheese
Pancake mix, Syrup
Bulk-size spices
Oatmeal
coffee
sugar, white and brown
powdered pre-sweetened drink mixes (iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch)
canned tomato products
tea bags
juice
pancake syrup
assorted cold breakfast cereals
oatmeal
canned goods
spices
garlic powder
seasoned salt
black pepper

Medications and First Aid Products
Tylenol, aspirin or ibuprofen, cough and cold medications (for adults and children)
band-aid and other first aid products
cough drops
Vic's vapor rub
Towels and Wash Cloths

Personal Care Items
tooth paste
tooth brushes
shampoo
conditioner
hand and body lotions
antibacterial liquid hand soap in dispensers
bath soap-small bars (antibacterial preferred)
women's sanitary products
disposable razors
shaving cream
antiperspirant
combs/brushes
Paper Products
toilet tissue
facial tissues
paper towels
paper napkins

Baby Care Items
disposable diapers (all sizes)
diaper ointments, creams, powders
baby oil
Baby Formula, Diapers

I'm posting this thread to gauge ONSC's interest in participating in a trip with EOE4x4 to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy

EDIT: Tons of interest because this club is awesome!!

We're going to the Atlantic City Rescue Mission in New Jersey, the weekend of November 17th.

The next week or two is really short notice, but the need won't be greater than now. If we can't get a trip together in the next week or two, then something closer to Thanksgiving will still have a significant impact on the quality of people's lives.

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys. Post up if you have an interest in participating!

Last edited:
Wow Matt that is a great organization you have there. Welcome to the club, it looks like you will be a great addition to this club.

This is normally a trip i'd jump at the opportunity to be a part of but have two groups of family from the other side of the country arriving that will be sapping up all of my time.

I look forward to watching this trip on the website and to help in the future when able :cheers:

The huz and I talked about this this morning. We can leave Friday night and drop supplies..we would have to return Sunday. Someone pm me so I can pass my phone number for logistics. This is going to kill our entire Christmas budget..and the three of us are fine with that. Pony up ...let's do this.

A good part of my family was directly affected by the storm so I'm in and I still have Betty so I can haul a bit of stuff. Keep me informed as to when we will be going. I can arrange the time off. I will also network for extra donations. I'll concentrate on dry goods and non-perishables.

I'm thinking the new tundra gets put to the test - we ll rent a trailer if necessary. I have a contact at the local paper to help push as well.

Sent from my EVO using IH8MUD

Wow, thanks all! Quite a bit of enthusiasm, I'd say?! But Cruiser folk are always helpful people :)

Johnny, thanks for the writeup; everything was correct.

Here's what I have so far:
I actually just bought an M101A2 in near perfect condition this morning after finally getting off the fence.
I had hoped I might have time to do something tomorrow (Sat), but I just got a call from work for an emergency job and have to fly to Savannah at 0800. I am an electronics/communications tech on cargo ships, so I will be back Sunday nite and have jobs Monday in Norfolk and one in Wilmington later in the week. So for me next week is toast.
If anyone else is willing and able to do something this weekend, please please please don't let me slow you down! Go for it!
Where I've been heading seems to be something more like the weekend before Thanksgiving or week before that. I was in contact with my pastor at our local church and they would like to be involved in collecting, etc also. Giving a week or two for prep could allow a little time to get the word out, and for a few to make work arrangements (like me) as well.
I had found two local shelters, one in Atlantic City and one in Ocean City. OC is not far from me on the Eastern Shore VA, which is a nice local connection for me. But AC was hit very hard as well. I'm still taking suggestions on the "where" as either is ok with me, maybe both if the response is large enough.
NYC has a major need right now as well, but I'm concerned about the lack of infrastructure there in the near future.

The two places I found thru the web:
OC-www.diakoniaoc.org
AC- www.acrescuemission.org

I'm currently in Norfolk running errands and getting the trailer ready to come home. Anyone can feel free to email me at matt@eoe4x4.org.
Sorry, this is kind of in spurts. Will try to add more tonight and tomorrow.
Thanks everyone!!!
Matt Ertle

I won't be ready to roll for at least a week. Currently i'm spreading the word around my area to collect some dry goods and already have a couple drop off points. I'd like to coordinate with someone and caravan a sizable load in about two weeks. Either destination is fine with me.

I'm in if I'm not working, just get me the dates...I have a Tacoma 4x4 on 33s that should be alright up there and the bed of the truck will help carry supplies. If we're rolling a convoy I prefer to go someplace I can carry my pistol. Sorry, but I prepare for the worst in people. And in two weeks there might be some really desperate people depending on how this goes. Just post dates and destination as soon as you know. If the carrying excludes me from the event I would still like to donate some supplies or logistical help. Let me know what I can do.

I'm in if I'm not working, just get me the dates...I have a Tacoma 4x4 on 33s that should be alright up there and the bed of the truck will help carry supplies. If we're rolling a convoy I prefer to go someplace I can carry my pistol. Sorry, but I prepare for the worst in people. And in two weeks there might be some really desperate people depending on how this goes. Just post dates and destination as soon as you know.
Phares, we have already decided the same - and it'd be silly not too. The huz has his concealed permit and is checking state laws up there as we speak.. I believe we would feel more secure in a pack - if not a convoy but are limited to going next Friday night if you want to meet up on the way out.

NJ and NC are reciprocating states regarding conceal permits.

U have to travel thru areas that dont like guns. Regardless... better to be judged by 8 then carried by 6. My sig is with me always.

as long as you are just passing through those areas it not an issue, unless you start acting stupid doing it.

as long as you are just passing through those areas it not an issue, unless you start acting stupid doing it.

^^^ X1000
About to email him and get some direct info and to start zeroing in on route. Also going to contact local news and see if we can get some real donations going.

Folks, check WELL into the NY state laws regarding carrying a weapon in the vehicle. I know that even a year ago they don't care who you are, what permits you have or even if it's disassembled and located in various locked storage in separate parts of the vehicle. This was true even for those just passing through the state. Disaster and catastrophe will only serve to beef up enforcement if their asinine laws are still in effect.

--john

Thanks John...that's why our family is looking at going to Jersey. Good call..

As much as I love gun talk...going back on topic - anyone else able to drop everything and go? I'll have confirmation tomorrow on being able to free up next weekend. Awaiting more info on a plan of attack and will move forward from there.

I am unable to go next weekend due to work but I am available the week of Thanksgiving. I know small window. I will keep an eye on this and provide what support I can. Worst case scenario I will meet you guys somewhere and transfer supplies into your vehicle for the rest of the trip...
This is an amazing idea and X2 on getting the news involved.

I love this club :D

10th + 11th could work for me, but it'd have to be a real quick trip. I'd prefer to not to have to take Moonshine based on the state of affairs with her, so anyone want to split fuel?

Mike, when were you planning on going?

I can't go till after the 10th. Also I wanna accumulate some donations before I head up so I need a couple good weeks to press people into giving. If I need to, I will wait till the weekend before thanksgiving and make the turkey run. All the items I'm collecting are non-perishables and dry goods.

I can't go till after the 10th. Also I wanna accumulate some donations before I head up so I need a couple good weeks to press people into giving. If I need to, I will wait till the weekend before thanksgiving and make the turkey run. All the items I'm collecting are non-perishables and dry goods.

Alright, sounds like a plan. I'll see if I can set up a collection at work.

Mind if I ride with you and split fuel? Mini-Moab trip style? :steer:

Johnny i told mike i wanted to go! Haha roadtrip with 3 driving should b quick trip! If all works out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom