Emissions failure! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought it was the turbo...

yeah, that's funny b/c it totally sounds like one.

Took the intake manifold off this weekend and found a few issues.

1- Gasket between intake and carb was 1/2 gone. Couldn't find one @ a local auto store so made my own template with gasket sheet.

2- The small vacuum port coming off the block between the carb & manifold was loose, probably leaked and didn't work well with the VCV. Mixed up some epoxy and sealed off.

3- Found small amounts of oil on the face of the intake manifold where it bolts to the head (cyl. 3&4). Cleaned and lightly sanded off buildup. Added silicone to intake & carb mounting area for improved sealing.

4- Rechecked all vacuum lines per diagram. Probably spent 6 hours total.

The engine sounds so much smoother now @ startup & idle. But, still have the "turbo" whistle. I opened the hood and hand throttled to hear but cannot. Any ideas?
VCV port.jpg
Intake.jpg
Intake 1.jpg

check the integrity of all of your AIR hoses. depending on engine speed, cat. temp, manifold vacuum, etc. the AIR system routes air to either the cat, the manifold, or the air cleaner. perhaps this is the "whistling" sound you hear?

just an idea.

check the integrity of all of your AIR hoses. depending on engine speed, cat. temp, manifold vacuum, etc. the AIR system routes air to either the cat, the manifold, or the air cleaner. perhaps this is the "whistling" sound you hear?

just an idea.

thanks, i'll check.
the whistling sound is not all the time, only as you slowly let off the throttle but not completely. usually between 2000~2200 RPM it does it the most.

Took the intake manifold off this weekend and found a few issues.
1- Gasket between intake and carb was 1/2 gone. Couldn't find one @ a local auto store so made my own template with gasket sheet.
There is no gasket. Carb, sits on insulator block, sits on intake manifold. Block had gasket material permanently bonded to top & bottom surface. Block can be re-used many times, if it is not scraped up or glued in place.

3- Found small amounts of oil on the face of the intake manifold where it bolts to the head (cyl. 3&4). Cleaned and lightly sanded off buildup. Added silicone to intake & carb mounting area for improved sealing.
Typical RTV silicon gasket sealer is NOT fuelproof and should not be used on intake manifolds. Read the package. It will usually say good for use in oil and coolant. Exposure to gasoline will soften it, then engine vacuum sucks it into the engine. Doesn't hurt the engine, but it doesn't make a good seal.

Any ideas?
see above. ;)

thanks, i'll check.
the whistling sound is not all the time, only as you slowly let off the throttle but not completely. usually between 2000~2200 RPM it does it the most.

So whatever became of this whistling sound? Did you ever find the cause of it?

Purchased the (violet) upper BVSV from Cruiser Dan for $30. Wasn't as easy to install as I expected. Drain 1/2 of coolant, loosen the v-belt & use 19mm combo wrench.

I can tell a difference in the running of my 60. When slowly let off gas pedal, i hear a faint whistling sound. What is this coming from? Is there some sort of valve that is now working?

I had the same problem today when changing out some of the vacuum lines.(Using brand new Silicone lines). When I gently pulled off the right side hose on the BVSV, it snapped off with hardly any effort. Guess I'll be calling CruiserDan on Monday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom