Emissions Help Needed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you verified base timing and total timing advance?
Yes, based on the FSM, everything timing related seems to be functioning correctly.

Thanks, I’ll work the AI system this weekend and place an order for a new cat. Quick question, I’m running an air pump from a ‘79, the body is smaller. Does anyone know if there was an output difference between years?
If your air pump has granaded or seized in the past, there may be shrapnel from that old pump that is fouling the function of the valving of the ASV,ABV. Could be worth checking. Do you have a rebuilt air pump from B-Z Rebuilders?

Reactions: OSS
Here is what I put together to check if my smog pump was performing per spec, pretty easy to confirm it operating as designed through the bypass. Some irrigation pipe and a gauge. If it is up to speed then start going through the FSM checklist or just bypass to pass the test...

PXL_20231011_054759093.jpg

AIfj60.png

If your air pump has granaded or seized in the past, there may be shrapnel from that old pump that is fouling the function of the valving of the ASV,ABV. Could be worth checking. Do you have a rebuilt air pump from B-Z Rebuilders?
I'm not aware of any prior pump issue, but definitely possible. The pump I have is one I've had on the shelf for years, unknown condition and wrong year, but during last test it was definitely working, but not sure how well. I did find that the relieve valve was bad so I replaced it with a working unit I had so I do know that works, but I'll check the other valves including the check valves to see if something has either clogged the airway, or caused it to become unfunctional.

Thanks

Here is what I put together to check if my smog pump was performing per spec, pretty easy to confirm it operating as designed through the bypass. Some irrigation pipe and a gauge. If it is up to speed then start going through the FSM checklist or just bypass to pass the test...

View attachment 3453011

View attachment 3453013

Thanks for the information, This will help simplify the troubleshooting, I do know my Thermo Sensor wasn't reading correctly per the FSM, so this would at least clear up that unknown.

@DieselFJ Full disclosure I have never tried the test method that I posted, but something I have thought of a few years ago. Just got bit by disabling the ERG so still trying to figure out how to best pass the test, preserve stock components, and have the best drivability.

You would think I would have figured it out after 24 years...

Well, finally got time to look into the issue and it looks like my smog pump isn’t pumping. At idle I’m under 1psig and at high idle it’s no more than 3psig. So, I guess I’ll be looking for a smog pump. Everything else in the AI system seems to be functioning as it should, but I’ll do more testing once I get a good smog pump.

Both the check valves at the air manifold and exhaust pipe seem to be good, the one at the air manifold is easier to blow in than the pipe, but they do function per FSM.

I bought and will install the new catalytic convertor this weekend so hopefully with both the new cat and a working air pump it’ll pass.

So after some testing and a week of using the search function I came across my 9 year old post, might be useful:

My ASV valve is bad but that should not make a difference for the test. My pump barely registers when racing the engine... new pump needed.

One of the interesting things I read on here is the smog components are just there to make an out of tune motor comply. I am going to do a proper valve adjustment, change the oil, and replace the marginal air filter in addition to the new pump.

From looking at my smog log I can see there is no residual O2 after about 8k from the napa rebuild, may try BZ and glad I have kept a dead original unit in a box instead of getting the core $

No one had mentioned adding some E-85 fuel (or a lot of Heet additive) to a nearly empty tank. This is time-honored way to get extra oxygen into your fuel system and promote full combustion (and lower CO and HC numbers). Lots of threads on the Rising Sun page (Denver-based club) on this. Many 'close to the numbers' trucks have passed easily after this.

I agree that replacing the AIR pump and getting it to pump continuously during the test is a great idea to get your numbers down.

^^

This to get you over the hump and a couple years breathing room (depending on your State).

Well, sorry it took so long for an update, but it took me that long to get everything back together. I figured while it was down I’d address a couple other issues. Anyway, I ended up getting a new cat from Magnaflow and a good used air pump from a friend of mine. After installing both, cleaning the EGR and verifying the other AI equipment function this is the outcome.

IDLE CO% 0.00 HC(ppm) 61 CO2% 8.6

HIGH SPEED CO% 0.00 HC(ppm) 42 CO2% 11.2

Needless to say it passed without issue. Wondering how much of that change was due to the air pump and how much the new cat.

Thanks again for everyone’s input!
Scott

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom