Electric Engine Conversion (1 Viewer)

Cost not being an issue, would you go Electric?

• Yes, sign me up!

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • OH HELL NO son!

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Only if Tesla makes the batteries :P

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another Volt commuter here. 100% of my 34 mile round trip is on battery power every day. If I need more range the gas generator kicks in and I can drive as far as I desire. The engineering and controls systems in these cars are fantastic and getting better every year.

If this tech could be transplanted into an 80 in a way that makes sense for most people (cost versus range) then hell yes! Count me in!

But as many are pointing out, we're not there yet. A battery pack capable of moving an 80 at freeway speeds for more than 30 miles would buy you a used Tesla S or 3-4 used Volts.

Last edited:
Thats stupid,'' Diesel electric hybrids in trains has been possible since 1908.'' ''Someday, batteries may be good enough. Today isn't that day, though''

Ah yes. Incredible wit.

I am utterly defeated by your scintillating counter-argument.

If I may ask, what is "stupid" about my points?

I await, like the humblest servant, your pearls of wisdom in response.

I think everyone with a low mileage well taken care of cruiser should do this... And they should give their old unwanted drivetrains to me...

I don't think an electric 80 series is practical at all. Too heavy, not aerodynamic, and no range to speak of. Diesel is a much better bet.

BUT... an all electric trail rig, that you could trailer and recharge with a portable generator at camp? That might be the coolest thing. Ever. There are plenty of DIY electric vehicle conversion websites out there, it would just take someone with deep pockets and large amount of time/dedication.

I have a vehicle that I'd like to convert to Electric, it's a 1969 Kaiser CJ-5 that I learned to drive a manual transmission in when I was 15 years old & it belonged to a friend's dad. I bought it in 1977 when I was in 20 & in college. It was used/abused before I got it & it served hard time from me from 1977 to 1982 when it was my daily driver. I drove it while in college & to & from home 325+ miles one way, then used it off road at the beach, numerous National Forests, & during Christmas break on our deer lease. I've attempted to restore & upgrade this CJ-5, but someone stole the motor, transmission, & transfer case while the frame was getting sandblasted & painted. All I have is the body that needs a little work & the frame. I'm considering going electric because it will probably only be driven on the street when my FJ 40 is in the shop, the main use of it would be to get around the ranch I deer hunt on so it would be driven 5 to 10 miles a day & we have electricity at our camp to recharge it with. The only reason it hasn't been done yet is the cost of converting it so if cost was not an issue I'd convert this thing in a heart beat! If it weren't for sentimental reasons I would have sold it a long time ago, but it has way too much sentimental value tom me.

The volt is old technology. It's a good car. But it's old. The computers can keep up with it.
Now toss e85, gas and electric into a mix, Then have 2 electric motors, one in each hub, 1 electric motor on the transmission, a gas engine with a turbo. Add regenerative braking systems and muti-battery pack systems. Electric steering and a/c systems. And the battery packs themselves have their own heating and cooling systems. The current canbus systems can only move data so fast. And the processing power isn't able to handle the workload.
Tesla works because the car was built from the ground up as a full electric vehicle. It has no other systems. Now for everyone else they are still trying to cram all this technology into a current chassis. Which also adds a huge list of other restraints.

The new stuff is so far ahead of the volt.

As for the train theory. Don't knock it.
Several people have done it. It works great.
And EBR Racing has a patent on the motorcycle version.

For a hobby car. Play with it. But for a everyday, get me to work and back vehicle. The 80 is a poor choice unless you have 60k burning a hole someplace.
But if you think it's a dump a electric motor out of a catalog in your 80 and run. Not so much. Plus there is a steep learning curve in the programming of the systems. Not to mention the chance of turning yourself into a candle.
And the 15k to install a charge station at home. Because the 110 will be a 15hr charge, 220 will be 10, and a comercial charging system will be 5 to 8hrs.

Tooo much. Drop a 6bt in. And be done. Biodiesel.

Last edited:
For you volt owners.

What miles are you getting from your batteries?
My Volt is a 2013. 10.4kwh of usable battery. That is 40-50 miles depending on conditions, speeds, etc. I nearly hit 60 miles on battery running around town on Monday. Highway speeds around 70mph I get about 38 miles if I'm lead footing it.

While it has some "old" technology (whatever that means) , it rocks for a commuter car and an intro to Electric Vehicles. It was designed as a primarily electric car, but it adds the charge sustaining motor to allow extended travels with ZERO range anxiety.

Gm did this right. The battery pack is cooled and heated as needed. Never charges over 80% or discharged below 20%. It's been called the most coddled battery in the electric car world. Which means GM under promised and over delivered on this one. They could have advertised bigger numbers, but instead took the high road and made a great little car that is seriously under rated. If you want the sexy version check out he new Cadillac ELR.

Battery range is dependent on the type of driving, and the time of the year. Back country roads traveled between 45-60mph, I have managed 50 miles. 70mph highway, about 38 miles. Once winter rolls around, those number can drop in half.

As with most of their drive trains, GM did it right, and it works well. The rest of the car, not so much. Unfortunately mine has got more squeaks, rattles, and odd interior noises than my 263k miles FJ80. It is a shame really, as the car is otherwise serine to drive in. I could try to get GM to try to fix the noises, but I went down that road on another car many years ago and regretted ever letting them touch it.

I'm glad electrics keep the pace and development .. Me, just will keep burning oil ( diesel ) just coz I like it, would be really bad the day you start your camaro or SC hellcat and ear .. .... .....

nothing ! coz it's electric .. !

One item that I've never seen addressed, should the mass market adopt pure electric as a automotive power source; what is going to generate the juice to recharge all those batteries?

1.21 gigawatts and the DeLorean still used gas for propulsion.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441850685.756076.jpg

Better question is where are the hovering 80s.

...via IH8MUD app

Awesome, now I just need to bury magnets all over my neighborhood. :cool:

Yet another example... A Defender this time!

Thanks The Belgian for sharing the video. I am starting a restoration of my 1970 FJ40 and I have been thinking about capping it off with an electric conversion. Tesla has been working on building its battery charging network, batteries are becoming more capable every day, and it is the way of the future. And if the Land Rover can be battery powered, then I don't think the weight of the LandCruiser will be an issue. I don't think it will be an off road machine, but if it is electric powered it may become a great daily driver.

That is a cool video.

Maybe the way to convert an 80 is to go EREV and replace just the transmission like Via does: VIA Motors | Extended-Range Electric Truck 402HP/100mpg

That setup and a couple used Leaf or Volt battery packs would be doable. Too bad no one sells such a kit.

Very interesting with peoples thoughts on this.

I think the honest truth is, if you want increased fuel efficiency (range), then either go diesel swap or get another vehicle.

I do however applaud peoples' thoughts on turning their cruiser into an EV. I think that is the coolest thing if someone wants a neat project. Unfortunately, engineering and current technology says it won't be able to do expedition travel. However for a DD, I'm all for it. Everyone uses their cruisers for different things.

As for future development of EVs into society as a whole, it should be the way of the future. There's no way "markets" will run to develop these systems in our current technology level as the "market" doesn't have a moral compass. People need to look forward and aim higher than the "oil will last forever" outlook. It pulls society backwards and with that kind of attitude, technology will never develop past what these stubborn people want.

One thing that no one touched on is reliability. Could you imagine how many things would change in a cruiser if it went EV and battery technology advanced to the point of extended range and quick charges? No exhaust, no EGR, no headgasket bull****, no spark plugs, no oil changes, no turbos, no injection pumps, less moving parts, the list goes on etc etc... It would be a GAME CHANGER for the everyday gear head. Electric vehicles would almost inevitably be far more reliable with proper development.

Every EV on the road helps lower demand for oil, thus helping to keep the price in check.
I know I'm driving on mostly coal,but it's all mined here and burned in plants that employ the locals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom