Builds El Jefe's FJ60 Build/Puzzle V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
I've enjoyed the benefits of this forum for the last 5 years. All of the build threads have been helpful through out the years and have always appreciated that someone took the time to document their builds. So I'd like to give back and do the same. I was fortunate to pick up an FJ60 Project from another Mud Member. This has a great start on it. With the rising prices on FJ60's I figured I would get in before I could not afford one. I'm also a self proclaimed glutton for punishment so while I continue to work on my 26 year old 80 Series Cruiser nit picking my way through the small things we will start another project. 2 money pits are better than one.

Last week I drove out to California and picked up this project. It has a pretty good head start. Has a 4.8 Liter Vortec mounted in it and a bunch of parts. I do not know how "complete" it is since the interior and exterior are in boxes, though I'm confident the majority is there. I know there are things I'll need along the way. An instrument cluster to start.
20210319_113640.jpg

I drove out Thursday after work from Albuquerque. I made it to Kingman and slept in my truck for 4 hours then drove the rest of the way to Los Angeles. After towing this trailer in LA Traffic I was anxious to GTFO, that and the $4.89 a gallon diesel. I spent a few hours in Fontana visiting my nephew who is in the process of joining the Air force to be a PJ. I caught a second wind and drove back to Kingman to make for a lighter day of driving on Saturday. Leaving town hit more traffic and didn't get back into Kingman until about 10:30 PM. Made it back to Albuquerque around 4PM after sleeping in and catching up on some sleep.
20210320_194046.jpg

20210320_194155.jpg
20210320_200713.jpg

The timeline worked out perfect. A buddy of mine recently purchased a home on some acreage that has a 50x200 shop and was gracious enough to allow me to store my land cruiser. I have a garage and I'll likely move the project home to work on more often, his place is about 30 minutes drive from my house. I don't have the space cleared out enough to inventory the boxes with out the risk of track of what goes where.

This weekend I'm going to spend some more time down there getting this sorted out and develop a plan of attack...

20210319_081608.jpg

That body looks Sweet!! I’m in ‘burque also and crawling through an 83 fj60 tbi v8 swap. Would dig seeing yours. What trans and adapter?

That body looks Sweet!! I’m in ‘burque also and crawling through an 83 fj60 tbi v8 swap. Would dig seeing yours. What trans and adapter?
Its down in Peralta at my buddies right now. I may have to invest in a car hauler. I'm sure this wont be my last project.
The Trans adapter is an Advanced adapters/ Ranger Torque Splitter mated to a Rebuilt stock 4speed trans. Also a 4.8 Liter power plant. I don't know much about the Ranger, but I'll get some pictures of it this weekend. My google fu has not produced much by way of how tie them together.

My Wife really wants it to be a different color so I'm sorting through that. She would like it to be white and If I were to change the color I would want to go Sage Green/ Charcoal or hell even a cement color. Problem is the engine bay was painted so I'd have to pull the engine and do it right and start over.... We'll see if I win this battle.

I think she would like it better if the clear was a gloss vs a satin finish. @kelly saad Thoughts?

SBC bell housing is all you need to tie the 4.8 to the Ranger. I used an LQ4 flywheel and clutch.

SBC bell housing is all you need to tie the 4.8 to the Ranger. I used an LQ4 flywheel and clutch.
Sorry for the miss statement, it is mated now with what i believe is an advanced adapters set up. It appears I'll need to add a path for it to actuate. and have 3 sticks in the truck. Never seen this in action so will be interesting.

Crazy! Mine is also LC 4speed, a ranger to the Chevy bellhousing, supposedly 88 blazer, twin sticks. 1983... apparently this year’s crossmember is further forward which mashes my water pump up to the radiator. I’d dig seeing where your ranger sits, if it’s mounted up.
725BD47B-0280-4D55-9BB0-D908A4BFF846.jpeg
05DE3210-414D-48F7-A352-C51265C7C7F5.jpeg

Crazy! Mine is also LC 4speed, a ranger to the Chevy bellhousing, supposedly 88 blazer, twin sticks. 1983... apparently this year’s crossmember is further forward which mashes my water pump up to the radiator. I’d dig seeing where your ranger sits, if it’s mounted up.l

Looks good! This one is an 82. Looking forward to seeing how this one shakes out.

My Wife really wants it to be a different color so I'm sorting through that. She would like it to be white and If I were to change the color I would want to go Sage Green/ Charcoal or hell even a cement color. Problem is the engine bay was painted so I'd have to pull the engine and do it right and start over.... We'll see if I win this battle.

Ahh but it's already the best color and the paint looks great! Fight for the beige. :D

Its down in Peralta at my buddies right now. I may have to invest in a car hauler. I'm sure this wont be my last project.
The Trans adapter is an Advanced adapters/ Ranger Torque Splitter mated to a Rebuilt stock 4speed trans. Also a 4.8 Liter power plant. I don't know much about the Ranger, but I'll get some pictures of it this weekend. My google fu has not produced much by way of how tie them together.

I think she would like it better if the clear was a gloss vs a satin finish. @kelly saad Thoughts?
Personal preference really. I don’t care for the matte finish, but that’s probably because I like to make things shiny. Engine bay is a pain, that’s why on my 60, I’m keeping the beige, and because it’s a fabulous color. Although I really want to change it to 6H9 green.

Personal preference really. I don’t care for the matte finish, but that’s probably because I like to make things shiny. Engine bay is a pain, that’s why on my 60, I’m keeping the beige, and because it’s a fabulous color. Although I really want to change it to 6H9 green.
6H9 would be fantastic. I like most greens.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/image-jpg.937428/ this one looks great too!

Crazy! Mine is also LC 4speed, a ranger to the Chevy bellhousing, supposedly 88 blazer, twin sticks. 1983... apparently this year’s crossmember is further forward which mashes my water pump up to the radiator. I’d dig seeing where your ranger sits, if it’s mounted up.View attachment 2624783View attachment 2624784
Yup, I had to go with electric fans and the oil pan is wicked close to the front pumpkin.

was going to say i was jealous of your shop, still very cool of your buddy. the body seems to be in very reasonable shape, good score
Yeah that shop is insane. He's very generous to let me use it.

Yup, I had to go with electric fans and the oil pan is wicked close to the front pumpkin.
Are the electric fans triggered by a thermostat?

@
Yes, by the factory ecm.
I've been through your posts but don't recall now - do you use the Taurus fans or which?
I have all of 2 1/4" from the nose of the waterpump to the radiator core

4.8 and a ranger splitter

will put your motor smack dab in the middle of your engine bay.

plenty of room for fans.

I went electric and glad I did.... saved me a rad and still mobile after I hit an elk

next swap is a 6.0 and i will be moving the cross memeber so it sits all the way back in the engine bay

19C8D02C-3AF1-4CF2-B839-3ABA46CD0E56.jpeg

99DB00B9-0A0C-4ACA-AE00-CA4CA92D78BD.jpeg

2B313681-DD28-4DB2-BAAC-5B0CAFC50A6E.jpeg

56910651-D227-4B72-8A54-CC54EB47C751.jpeg

4.8 and a ranger splitter

will put your motor smack dab in the middle of your engine bay.

plenty of room for fans.

I went electric and glad I did.... saved me a rad and still mobile after I hit an elk

next swap is a 6.0 and i will be moving the cross memeber so it sits all the way back in the engine bay

View attachment 2625673

View attachment 2625674

View attachment 2625675

View attachment 2625676
Where did you Cut for the Ranger to come through. Electric fans could be the ticket appears I may be short on space, and I do like that the Electric fans have their own shrouds.

I went to take some more pictures yesterday and determine where the Ranger Shifter will enter the cab. I also went through some of the inventory to see what bits I'll need to order.
20210324_195043.jpg
20210324_184614.jpg

I have not come up with a plan of action yet but these pictures will give you an idea where the project is at.

20210324_184909.jpg
20210324_184826.jpg
20210324_184555.jpg

20210324_184459.jpg

20210324_184433.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom