Educate me which lift is best 2 or 4 post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on plans for the shop and need specs for a lift before concrete is poured. Some reason a 4 post lift seems best but what's best type to work on the vehicles axles or brakes or do they have jacks also to put under lift points. I'm not worried about space or height as the shop is 80x70 but I need to find out which route I want to go so I can get specs for it.

What lift does everyone prefer for being functional and reasonably priced?

Working on plans for the shop and need specs for a lift before concrete is poured. Some reason a 4 post lift seems best but what's best type to work on the vehicles axles or brakes or do they have jacks also to put under lift points. I'm not worried about space or height as the shop is 80x70 but I need to find out which route I want to go so I can get specs for it.

What lift does everyone prefer for being functional and reasonably priced?

I have a 2-post asymmetric lift in my shop, but I am considering adding a 4-post. I have the space, so my thought is a 2-post and a 4-post would allow me to select the lift based on the work. Since I do not have a 4-post, I do not have direct experience with one; but looking at them, it appears likely that there are pro's & con's for each based the tasks planned.

Since your shop is in the planning stage, could you incorporate provisions into your concrete for both a 4-post and a 2-post? You could still start with the one that makes most sense for your immediate needs, but you have made provisions for immediate flexibility and future growth.

Sounds like you will have a great shop. Congratulations

I'm planning to start with a 2 post, asymmetric as well in my 40x40 shop (Rotary SPOA10 to be exact). I might add a 4 post later but if I do it will be primarily to increase car storage space. I don't think you need anything special for a 4 post, assuming you have at least 4" of 3000 psi concrete.

Imo a 4 post is preferred working on larger vehicles. (fs trucks etc)
They are also somewhat of a pita to work around.
For personal shop use, imo a 2 post is more versatile.

4 post is an "alignment rack". That's what they're good at- getting the vehicle in the air with the weight still on the axles. Everything else they are not good at.

symmetrical 2 posts are really nice for a lot of things. yeah, they can crowd the doors of some vehicles, but they can also unload machinery from your bed or trailer way easier than an asymmetric lift.

I have two symmetrical 2 posts and they work well. Especially for the odd unloading a 9K lb lathe or lifting the body off the frame of a vehicle.

80x70 sounds like a lot on paper. It fills up fast. I finished my 7K sq ft shop 3 years ago. I overfilled it and purged some big stuff last summer. This summer I'm adding another 2000 sq ft inside and 2000 sq ft of covered outside.

when I read 4 posts I'm thinking a platform of sorts lifting up on corner posts, and the vehicle sitting on the platform on its wheels. Is that the case? If so, how do you lift the wheels up to remove them? Are there jacks or stands built in?

when I read 4 posts I'm thinking a platform of sorts lifting up on corner posts, and the vehicle sitting on the platform on its wheels. Is that the case? If so, how do you lift the wheels up to remove them? Are there jacks or stands built in?
4 posts are typically bought with axle jacks and turning plates. There's a sliding crossmember with jacks built in so you can lift an axle in the air if needed. I've never used one so I can't comment how easy they are to use. Turning plates are for alignments. Muffler shops also require 4 posts because they have to do the exhaust with the axles in their natural state.

4 post is an "alignment rack". That's what they're good at- getting the vehicle in the air with the weight still on the axles. Everything else they are not good at.

symmetrical 2 posts are really nice for a lot of things. yeah, they can crowd the doors of some vehicles, but they can also unload machinery from your bed or trailer way easier than an asymmetric lift.

I have two symmetrical 2 posts and they work well. Especially for the odd unloading a 9K lb lathe or lifting the body off the frame of a vehicle.

80x70 sounds like a lot on paper. It fills up fast. I finished my 7K sq ft shop 3 years ago. I overfilled it and purged some big stuff last summer. This summer I'm adding another 2000 sq ft inside and 2000 sq ft of covered outside.
You make some excellent points I would never thought of unloading things although I can use big tractor for many things. It has taken years for the wife and I to come up with the cruisers we have and love so the 80x70 does accommodate them now but damn if things don't seem to be increasing in numbers. I have to make myself stop at 5700' or it will never stop. I did give this a lot of thought today while at work and the 2 post does seem the best option for what I would need. Now if I can identify the ideal set up for the man cave my life would be complete.

Lift.jpg

This image is from a YouTube video, but even the picture sort of illustrates what you're going to run into - namely that you can get to a strip down the center of the vehicle but it is going to be difficult to get to much else. There is a sliding plastic tray under the front of the lifted car in the photo to keep oil (and such) from falling on the lower car. That can be slid out of the way or removed if you're actually trying to work on things.

You can get a "bridge jack" that rides on the rails of the lift to allow you to do things like take the wheels off, but it ends up further getting in the way depending on what you're doing.

Bridge Jack.png

Generally, my take has been that a 4-post lift is for storage while a 2-post lift is for actual work. I have access to both, but 95% of the time there is something stored on the 4-post lift.

As far as I know you would not have to anchor a 4 post lift, in fact one great feature is they have optional casters that can be engaged to move the whole thing around as you see fit. This combined with all of the practicality points in favor of a 2 post regarding working on the vehicle make me think you pour for the 2 post and install that first then you can always add a 4 post later anywhere in the space and gain another parking spot when you do. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom