Easy and Affordable Sleeping platform/Storage build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sleeping platform/drawer system build thread.

5-9-19
Good day fellow MUDers! I am a student and do not have the money to go out and buy or build an expensive drawers system so this will be my budget and time friendly build. So far I have bought one 3/4" 4'x8' ply board and had home depot cut it to two 41"x 43.5" boards. As my side supports I am using 1"x12" boards. In total, I have spent about 55 dollars on the ply sheet and runner lumber so far. The actual building consisted of setting the running boards square to the pre-cut ply and screwing them in with the assistance from pilot holes. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get the rough box done. I plan on doing the side skirts/wings, paint, marine carpet and some other additions in the next few days! I will update daily. I hope this thread helps anyone who is balling on a budget. Yes, this is not going to be an amazing rear drawer system but It will be one that doesn't break the bank and gets you out to camp more comfortably.
IMG_2335.jpeg
IMG_4395.jpeg
IMG_0655.jpeg

sleeping platform/drawer system build thread.

5-9-19
Good day fellow MUDers! I am a student and do not have the money to go out and buy or build an expensive drawers system so this will be my budget and time friendly build. So far I have bought one 3/4" 4'x8' ply board and had home depot cut it to two 41"x 43.5" boards. As my side supports I am using 1"x12" boards. In total, I have spent about 55 dollars on the ply sheet and runner lumber so far. The actual building consisted of setting the running boards square to the pre-cut ply and screwing them in with the assistance from pilot holes. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get the rough box done. I plan on doing the side skirts/wings, paint, marine carpet and some other additions in the next few days! I will update daily. I hope this thread helps anyone who is balling on a budget. Yes, this is not going to be an amazing rear drawer system but It will be one that doesn't break the bank and gets you out to camp more comfortably.View attachment 1973305View attachment 1973306View attachment 1973307
You may want a center support.

So, your sleeping pad mainly lays on the box and then lays over the folded seats? I'm putting something together and am having a little design trouble figuring out how my 80" long mattress will work laying freely over the middle seats and headrests? Will you sleep with your head at the tailgate?

So, your sleeping pad mainly lays on the box and then lays over the folded seats? I'm putting something together and am having a little design trouble figuring out how my 80" long mattress will work laying freely over the middle seats and headrests? Will you sleep with your head at the tailgate?
@70chevelle I plan to be sleeping with my head to the seats and will be adding an unfolding extension to my sleeping platform so that my mattress is a little inclined where my head will be; also so that my mattress will lay flat.

@70chevelle I plan to be sleeping with my head to the seats and will be adding an unfolding extension to my sleeping platform so that my mattress is a little inclined where my head will be; also so that my mattress will lay flat.

Camped this passed weekend and did both. I put a 2x4 under the seat latches and also between the folded seats to get them more level with my platform. On Friday, we slept with our heads towards the seats. It made it a little harder to exit at night along with having more weight on the unsupported part of the platform. I extended the head rests to help. On Saturday, we reversed it and slept with our heads towards the hatch and it was a little more convenient. I plan on purchasing an SUV tent that attaches to the rear of the LC and then we can sleep with the hatch open and have a room to exit. Seems like head towards the front will work better when I do that, but I'll see when the time comes. It will also be nice to have a 'modesty' room for changing and storing gear.

Nice platform! Some times its easier to get out the the doors. Shameless plug I use small blocks to raise the seats i sell on etsy.com. They hide behond the seats during travel. View attachment 1983509View attachment 1983510
Thank you, I just built that rear "drawer" in less than 20 minutes. I plan to rebuild it based on a youtube build I watched earlier. @Outsane thanks for the link, I will check them out.

I really like what 80lover built, but he must be a young 20 something. The reason i say that, if he had a 60 year old back, there is no way he'd be sleeping on a mattress pad that's that thin, ha ha.

Yeah, that would be nice to know (the level height).

And, is there a direct Etsy link to the item? Wasted a bunch of time searching already.

Edit for link: Solve Function by SolveFunction

Last edited:
Hey @Outsane

Can you reproduce the plastic covers for the bottom of the mirror?

I'm missing one and I think it contributes to some wind noise leaking in and a little corrosion under that mirror.

that little rounded cutout is perfect for passing the power wire through for the led lights i have mounted on my yodateq brackets, but it could be a little larger. and Also, what height do you make the rear platform for the back seats to be level with it? @Outsane

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom