Early factory soft top windsheild frames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Ok,
This question was posted someplace else but was moved for good reasons. I was wanting to know how the front bow for a FST mounted to the windsheild frame on early FJ40s. In the pics you can see my frame has no tab on the corners like the third photo.
edit: my cruiser is a 65 FJ40 factory soft top model.
framecorner.JPG

framecorner2.JPG

Dsc01058_jpg.jpg

that tap just bolts on the body.........I think

So the tab in the second pic is what I have on there now and its for a best top tiger top. Would that just bolt to the side of the front bow then? This is confusing. :doh:

I know that it is a later model than yours but here are some pics of my 1973 FST attachment at the windshield.

Last edited:
Dang, yours has both tabs. Do you think that the front bows could mount safely with only that inside tab? Thanks.

I have a '72 factory softtop model. This is how my softtop (now aftermarket, I believe an early '90s Besttop ?) is attached: the bows themselves have bolt studs, they mount to the inside tabs with wingnuts. The top otself slides into a channel on the windshield and has snap buttons for which the PO drilled holes close to the side tabs. Since the top could come loose from the channel (it never did so far, but I was suspicious given that the straps to the snaps were getting brittle), I have reinforced the top with a metal cable (plastic covered in several colors available from Ace) through the fabric loop and threading that cable through the side tabs, closing with little (real little) U-bolts. Sorry no pics, truck is out of state right now. Can take pics Thanksgiving if you need.

The channel is attached to the windshield frame with only the tab on the inside. The bolt that I showed from the front is to attach the canvas corners down with. When I look at the pic of Eshans channel it is attached to the bolt that is to hold down the canvas at the corner. I don't think that the way it is attached that the door would fit properly.

I just looked at the 1964 parts book and it looks like there was not a bolt that held down the corner of the canvas. It also does not show the bracket (like the one inside the truck). It does however show that it would take (4) 6mm bolts 12mm long, if that helps.

Pics would be great. I dont have a FST yet to put on it, but I had hoped that I would be able to put one on the future. Thanks. :)

Awsome, this is great news, my windsheild frame isnt messed up like I was starting to think. I wondering if two snaps held down the front corners of the canvas on mine. In the first pic you can see a little hole on the corner of the frame, it has the same hole on the other side. Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the pics Ground Up. :)

Ground Up said:
The channel is attached to the windshield frame with only the tab on the inside. The bolt that I showed from the front is to attach the canvas corners down with. When I look at the pic of Eshans channel it is attached to the bolt that is to hold down the canvas at the corner. I don't think that the way it is attached that the door would fit properly.

I just looked at the 1964 parts book and it looks like there was not a bolt that held down the corner of the canvas. It also does not show the bracket (like the one inside the truck). It does however show that it would take (4) 6mm bolts 12mm long, if that helps.

The bows are an original OEM set. The canvas is one of three that rickd had done a few years ago. It is oiled canvas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom