Early F engine water pump conundrum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like I need some gasket making material for the t stat housings then…

I couldn't find one from any Toyota parts sellers. There is however some sort of older forklift that used the same engine because these guys say they have it in stock: TOYOTA, 16341-60010, GASKET - WATER OUTLET - https://www.truparforkliftparts.com/TOYOTA-16341-60010-GASKET-WATER-OUTLET-p/ty16341-60010.htm

They could be one of those sites though where they say they have everything in stock but in reality, they don't. I'm going to order a different gasket from them so I'll report back.

I couldn't find one from any Toyota parts sellers. There is however some sort of older forklift that used the same engine because these guys say they have it in stock: TOYOTA, 16341-60010, GASKET - WATER OUTLET - https://www.truparforkliftparts.com/TOYOTA-16341-60010-GASKET-WATER-OUTLET-p/ty16341-60010.htm

They could be one of those sites though where they say they have everything in stock but in reality, they don't. I'm going to order a different gasket from them so I'll report back.
I was going to go ahead and order one as well, but then I say they want $18 to ship a $3.50 gasket that will fit in a USPS first class envelope. I’ll wait and see what Your experience is like before I pull the trigger. Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, the change date on the WP location is from engine # F-243298. Missed it by <that> much.

Edit: For the OP, this is a lot of work & hassle to run a mismatched engine. Bummer of a situation.
For the amount of effort, it would make more sense to toss in a late 2F, with 68-74 intake & exhaust, WP, t-stat, alternator, etc. Then the truck would gain displacement, compression, improved oiling, bolt on balancer, possible oil cooler....

Last edited:
FWIW, the change date on the WP location is from engine # F-243298. Missed it by <that> much.

Edit: For the OP, this is a lot of work & hassle to run a mismatched engine. Bummer of a situation.
For the amount of effort, it would make more sense to toss in a late 2F, with 68-74 intake & exhaust, WP, t-stat, alternator, etc. Then the truck would gain displacement, compression, improved oiling, bolt on balancer, possible oil cooler....
Solid advice.

Are you just like a walking Toyota encyclopedia? How the heck do you know the exact engine number!! :D

but then I say they want $18 to ship a $3.50 gasket that will fit in a USPS first class envelope.
You could probably make a perfectly good gasket out of a cereal box...

I was going to go ahead and order one as well, but then I say they want $18 to ship a $3.50 gasket that will fit in a USPS first class envelope. I’ll wait and see what Your experience is like before I pull the trigger. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah they want like 25 bucks to ship me an $11 rubber part. No thanks.

Amazon has ruined me.

So from the pics of the new motor the date stamps show a 67 block and a 69 head. Did we ever get the manufacturer dates of the old block and its head?

And where do we stand, do the older blocks have a lower or higher WP inlet hole compared to the later blocks? Please stay in the F world, my head's already exploded with all of the F, F.5, F1.5, 2F crossover. Seems like this basic info ought to be the FAQ section. Right next to Jim C. :p.

I have learned some hard lessons. If I could, there are many things I would do differently before ordering the crated long block from California. After examining the real world alternatives for here and now, I’m going to find a way to make this long block work and be a fun local car shows and go to town and wineries FJ40 driver.

As of today I have worked out the conflict between upper pulley, water, pump, and thermostat housings. I got an early lower thermostat housing and it all bolts up nicely with clearance and no interference.

The next project will be to rebuild the numbers matching F motor being removed from the 1968 FJ40, and have the option to put it back in the original numbers matching vehicle. But that is way down the road, I don’t even have the old tired motor out of the FJ, and I’m not finished with the current long block build either. Patience… I keep reminding myself…

So if the current build can eventually get me happily down the road with light duty driving requirements until it is time to reinstall the renewed original 1968 F engine, I will be happy.

If I do this right, I end up with a solid clean driving 1968 FJ 40, and have a spare clean recent F engine available for subsequent projects and mad scientist ideas.

Last edited:
So from the pics of the new motor the date stamps show a 67 block and a 69 head. Did we ever get the manufacturer dates of the old block and its head?

And where do we stand, do the older blocks have a lower or higher WP inlet hole compared to the later blocks? Please stay in the F world, my head's already exploded with all of the F, F.5, F1.5, 2F crossover. Seems like this basic info ought to be the FAQ section. Right next to Jim C. :p.
The date for the 1968 motor being replaced both black and head is April 1968. On the April 1968 block, the water pump sets about an inch lower and almost touches the timing chain cover.

I have been able to use the 1968 F water pump with the 1967 and earlier thermostat housing on the new block. Lower thermostat housing is flatter at the bottom and leaves extra clearance for the water pump and upper pulley.

39CCCF3D-DF43-4D05-B538-B1D07E39D4BA.jpeg

Both the 1967 Siamese block and the 1969 head on the new motor are F engine components. The 1967 Siamese block is an early F. It *might* be an F135, but I have seen conflicting information. The 1969 head is from an F145.

I might have to put two stickers on the valve cover just to keep me honest, and keep everybody else guessing.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like you have learned a lot in a short time, bravo 👏

The date for the 1968 motor being replaced both black and head is April 1968. On the April 1968 block, the water pump sets about an inch lower and almost touches the timing chain cover.

I have been able to use the 1968 F water pump with the 1967 and earlier thermostat housing on the new block. Lower thermostat housing is flatter at the bottom and leaves extra clearance for the water pump and upper pulley.

Both the 1967 Siamese block and the 1969 head on the new motor are F engine components. The 1967 Siamese block is an early F. It might be an F1 35, but I have seen conflicting information. The 1969 head is from an F145.

I might have to put two stickers on the valve cover just to keep me, honest, and keep everybody else guessing.
Funny you mention this. I have a 6/70 build but it has a lot of 71+ stuff on it including emissions (which nobody every puts on back on a vehicle) as sold from the showroom floor. It makes buying stuff for it an interesting hunting endeavor.

Last edited:
I am slowly working this mechanical puzzle out. Today I received an early F engine thermostat housing pair, both upper and lower.

Pictures say it better, but the combination of pre-1967 thermostat housing, 1968 and later water pump and upper pulley works on my project motor. The early thermostat housing leaves clearance for the later water pump and the pulley rotates freely without any interference. Which is nice. So I’ve got that going for me…

Here is the early lower thermostat housing

8EE9C1D5-EF2D-4E61-B016-A05A43559F9A.jpeg

Here is the early lower T-Stat housing with the 1968 water pump and upper pulley in place:

494A05BB-73DC-4F53-B57F-D14B5C0E4D64.jpeg

You can see now there is plenty of clearance for the upper pulley and there is no interference with the thermostat housing.

After a little trimming, the OEM water pump upper outlet hose for the 1968 pump fits the t-stat!

813DAF3D-E0C2-4EE4-B82A-A73CBB97CAB9.jpeg

I still need to sort out the gasket that goes between the early upper and lower thermostat housing halves.

I can use a sheet of Permatex water pump gasket to go old-school if I can’t find a production one.

Still, good progress, and big thanks to all of the people in the community who have been helping me sort out this historical FJ engine puzzle!

Thank you,
Virginia Mountain FJ 40

Comparing the two lower thermo housings you can see that the “early” ones’ upper/lower joint sits above the top of the head so that helps with fitment. Last set of pics looks like my ‘64 motor’s setup so now I’m not so confused 😂.

Comparing the two lower thermo housings you can see that the “early” ones’ upper/lower joint sits above the top of the head so that helps with fitment. Last set of pics looks like my ‘64 motor’s setup so now I’m not so confused 😂.
1967 block with 1968 water pump and 1967 thermostat housing:

9F32A948-A14C-4675-8613-03ADECACC17A.jpeg

1968 block and head with 1968 water pump and lower thermostat housing:

BE2F3BC6-D3E3-4E5D-84D9-34F7084443C3.jpeg

this comparison, red arrows
4D8FD640-7657-408C-A055-F706F06763DF.jpeg
30B7D6A4-5EB3-4372-BD07-6632178E544C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom