Builds DUKE - 1993 HDJ80 / 1HD-T / 5-Speed / 3x Locked / LHD *A slow DIY build / resto* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perfect! I was starting to doubt it already! hahahahah anyways, besides ABS delete (mine did not come with ABS) I would suggest LSPV delete also, being a 93 model not from USA I believe it may not have come with ABS...better to check the plaque...that is mine

View attachment 2275037
Mine definitely has ABS, I have pulled the fuse and all of my problems went away. Time for a delete I think!

You are right. My mistake. Got confused with our other vehicles. This is what we get at Costco on sale.

View attachment 2274987

Not to hijack or turn this into an oil thread, but something worth mentioning. Some of the newer diesel oils are now CK-4 rated, supposedly the "improved" formula was developed to protect emission components. Ford doesn't recommend the CK4 rating as they have shown inadequate wear protection compared to the CJ-4.

Take it with a grain of salt, do an oil analysis.

I never read a thing about oil...I just use the formula that has lasted me a long time...if you can get mineral oil, better use that one...it is cheaper (at least here) and it is whatthe engine was designed for, I mean...you guys think of a 60's Cobra, al restored to look as if from factory and slaping in some 22 wheels? same thing, if it was not intended for, do not use it unless really necesary

About the formula...for some reason Toyota diesel engines seem to work rather fine with Bardahl, so use it, say every other oil change or on the third...one thing, diesel engines have a sound that will let you know (somewhat) the wear of the engine, I know it is difficult over there as you have no other to compare to, but just so you know, they do not sound that loud

Switched over to 15w40 yesterday to kill some time. Also sourced a small leak from under the timing belt cover, seemed to be some under-torqued bolts! I’ll keep my eye on it and report back!

8ABE8FDA-7DED-4505-98F3-1ACBE596AC5A.jpeg

99E34C98-6F0A-4FED-9166-D929B7D59D34.jpeg

Great Cruiser! Was this the one on CL for like a year?

You can still get that o-ring for the ACSD, we just blocked one off the other day.

I have some 81 parts laying around, new OEM, let me know if you need anything. I got a few used parts as well. Also got a really nice intercooler for that truck. ;)

Cheers
I’m going to PM you about parts, and that intercooler...

Hey mate,

I recommend using the tail gate as storage. You can order online 304 stainless (0.090") and marine latches and use the back space as kitchen storage. I think recovery gear would be too heavy. I have all the info if you need it.

Cheers
View attachment 2323272View attachment 2323274
This is definitely on the to-do list. I love your setup! Any info would be super appreciated!

This is definitely on the to-do list. I love your setup! Any info would be super appreciated!
Cabinets are from 1/2" square steel tubing with sheet metal/aluminum skins. Drawers are from airline cart, and the top is corian from an old kitchen. Fridge is built in with a detached compressor inside the wheel well.

I wrote a full blog on the build on Overland Bound. They are very good group, and I recommend joining them Really good values.

Very cool stuff here, both these rigs have me drooling and dreaming about swapping my 91 FJ80 to diesel power...it needs a new engine as the old one is completely gone. Theres just something about keeping it all Toyota;) Started following you both on IG; I'm @mtnracer51. I'll post up some pics of the cruiser once it gets back home. I'm in the process of purchasing it from a friend.

Very cool stuff here, both these rigs have me drooling and dreaming about swapping my 91 FJ80 to diesel power...it needs a new engine as the old one is completely gone. Theres just something about keeping it all Toyota;) Started following you both on IG; I'm @mtnracer51. I'll post up some pics of the cruiser once it gets back home. I'm in the process of purchasing it from a friend.
Thanks so much! I agree. Keeping things all Toyota is the best!

Just received the Auber Instruments gauges to monitor EGTs and boost. I have never done any sort of wiring or electric work, so I have been doing research... any good resources out there for wiring basics? Also still working out a good place to mount the gauges so they look as close to OEM as possible.

Last edited:
Just received the Auber Instruments gauges to monitor EGTs and boost. I have never done any sort of wiring or electric work, so I have been doing research... any good resources out there for wiring basics? Also still working out a good place to mount the gauges so they look as close to OEM as possible.
You want the EGT as visible as possible. Since the engine has no protection, your pedal is the control of the temperature. I sent a photo where I mounted it. Has to weld a bracket for it, but am sure there are some in the market.

IMG_2126.JPG

The auber will have either contacts for alarm or a bell I think, with that you could hook it to an engine light maybe and have an over temp set point.

I did a thread where I mounted an auber gauge into the instrument cluster but later mounted EGT and boost digital displays within the tachometer.

I like it within the cluster as it looks close to stock and less attractive for theft.

I respectfully disagree with the A pillar gauge pods, knowing temp is important though I will agree, but for night driving I prefer bright or dim gauges down low, use the alarm function if your worried about overtemps.

Last edited:
The auber will have either contacts for alarm or a bell I think, with that you could hook it to an engine light maybe and have an over temp set point.

I did a thread where I mounted an auber gauge into the instrument cluster but later mounted EGT and boost digital displays within the tachometer.

I like it within the cluster as it looks close to stock and less attractive for theft.

I respectfully disagree with the A pillar gauge pods, knowing temp is important though I will agree, but for night driving I prefer bright or dim gauges down low, use the alarm function if your worried about overtemps.
Hahaha. You have a very classy setup. I totally agree with you, but like to pick my battles. It was the easy solution, given he amount of work I had to do on the rig with a deadline of a 8000 miles trip.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom