Builds DUKE - 1993 HDJ80 / 1HD-T / 5-Speed / 3x Locked / LHD *A slow DIY build / resto* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stuck at home waiting for the word... cannot wait to get back out on the trail!
9C1D6322-2523-4E99-BAB7-EB0DBE79B8EE.jpeg

Hey mate,
I converted my 93 FZJ80 with a 1HDfT/H151. Love the truck. I have a source for parts if you need and have installed myself. Got a lot of guidance from Georg@ValleyHybrids. Intercooler PDI, stainless exhaust PPD and GTurbo aftermarket. All from AUZ. If interested in any tips LMK. :)
B86027E8-BAB4-4B13-A7A7-E8BBD1C164BC.jpeg
44ADD89A-ACB2-44D4-97AF-731EE61BB288.jpeg
C6F8A399-0511-4E27-8B15-0C11DB9DC3E2.jpeg
415EDD25-BF7F-48B1-8BCE-01B879567ECB.jpeg

IMG_1525.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! Nice truck you got your hands on...now...something I read kept me thinking, did you really put 10W30 oil on a diesel engine? If so...have you seen the specs for the oil such engine needs? Also, and oil catch can is a good thing, but always use the big one (3/4 inch), diesel engines have a lot more compression, careful as you may soon find out...if it happens, check your valve cover gasket...my engine (1HD-T) lasted me 657000 kms before I had to overhaul it...best two tell tales are water temp (should be 1/4) and oil preasure should be at least 1/4...anyways, do enjoy...you have not mention if it is automatic, most likely it would be...the AW450-43LE parts will work, but not the valvebody, nor the first set of disks that you see when you open it...I have had mine for about 17 years now, 1995, 1HD-T with A442F with manual locking hubs from factory...if I can be of help, just drop me a line...cheers

Hey mate,
I converted my 93 FZJ80 with a 1HDfT/H151. Love the truck. I have a source for parts if you need and have installed myself. Got a lot of guidance from Georg@ValleyHybrids. Intercooler PDI, stainless exhaust PPD and GTurbo aftermarket. All from AUZ. If interested in any tips LMK. :)View attachment 2274360View attachment 2274361View attachment 2274366View attachment 2274377
Wow! I have actually been obsessed with the build of this truck lately. Thanks for all of the offers. I am trying my hardest to meet people like you and slowly become an expert in this truck. A lot of doing it myself and asking questions. I want to do what is best for the truck, so I can hold onto it for as long as possible. Any mods you would 100% recommend or any tips would be appreciated! Where are you located? Look forward to talking more.

Hello! Nice truck you got your hands on...now...something I read kept me thinking, did you really put 10W30 oil on a diesel engine? If so...have you seen the specs for the oil such engine needs? Also, and oil catch can is a good thing, but always use the big one (3/4 inch), diesel engines have a lot more compression, careful as you may soon find out...if it happens, check your valve cover gasket...my engine (1HD-T) lasted me 657000 kms before I had to overhaul it...best two tell tales are water temp (should be 1/4) and oil preasure should be at least 1/4...anyways, do enjoy...you have not mention if it is automatic, most likely it would be...the AW450-43LE parts will work, but not the valvebody, nor the first set of disks that you see when you open it...I have had mine for about 17 years now, 1995, 1HD-T with A442F with manual locking hubs from factory...if I can be of help, just drop me a line...cheers
I did put 10w30 as it was recommended by multiple sources who also had 1HDT trucks. I’m open to any other suggestions and wisdom. Always looking for am much knowledge about this engine as possible.
I need to instal more gauges so I can monitor everything going on in the car from EGT to boost. My oil temp is always steady right in the middle and pressure is always between 1/3 and 2/3.
the transmission is the h151f 5 speed manual.
thanks for all of the info. Please share anything you would recommend as I am new to the diesel cruiser world.

Wow! I have actually been obsessed with the build of this truck lately. Thanks for all of the offers. I am trying my hardest to meet people like you and slowly become an expert in this truck. A lot of doing it myself and asking questions. I want to do what is best for the truck, so I can hold onto it for as long as possible. Any mods you would 100% recommend or any tips would be appreciated! Where are you located? Look forward to talking more.

Hey mate,

So, I have a 60 with a 13Bt/H55, a 40 with a 13BT/H55 and and 80 with a 1HDFT/H151. ALL use Delo 10/30 from Costco. I buy it on sale and change oil every 2500 miles. I took the 80 to Alaska this summer, packed also 2 oil filters and oil and did the change on the road + grease. Technically if you change oil that often you can use olive oil. :)

I wrote a blog about the build in Overland Bound. There is a link to the photo album on Picasa there. I recommend you joining them. It's a great group with great good values such as spending the weekend cleaning the Mojave or Joshua Tree. They also have good map support for remote camps, and I used it often on the Alaska trip.

Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers is also a great source that is an expert on diesel Landcruisers. I've known Georg for 15 years and he is honest and very reliable. You just have to be patient, because they are very very busy. They worked on my 1HDFT drivetrain before I put it in, including part time and engine maintain. Once the truck is part time, I removed the ABS/LSPV (20 lb of nonsense), and the axles look clean now. You can contact me at ofer.bruhis@gmail.com, but I am sure there are better experts then myself on this.

One thing I added was additional filters on the fuel. A prefilter screen and a big truck filter under the body. Bad fuel will kill you diesel engine.

Ha, yes, located in Palo Alto, CA.

Cheers mate

--o

Hey mate,

So, I have a 60 with a 13Bt/H55, a 40 with a 13BT/H55 and and 80 with a 1HDFT/H151. ALL use Delo 10/30 from Costco. I buy it on sale and change oil every 2500 miles. I took the 80 to Alaska this summer, packed also 2 oil filters and oil and did the change on the road + grease. Technically if you change oil that often you can use olive oil. :)

I wrote a blog about the build in Overland Bound. There is a link to the photo album on Picasa there. I recommend you joining them. It's a great group with great good values such as spending the weekend cleaning the Mojave or Joshua Tree. They also have good map support for remote camps, and I used it often on the Alaska trip.

Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers is also a great source that is an expert on diesel Landcruisers. I've known Georg for 15 years and he is honest and very reliable. You just have to be patient, because they are very very busy. They worked on my 1HDFT drivetrain before I put it in, including part time and engine maintain. Once the truck is part time, I removed the ABS/LSPV (20 lb of nonsense), and the axles look clean now. You can contact me at ofer.bruhis@gmail.com, but I am sure there are better experts then myself on this.

One thing I added was additional filters on the fuel. A prefilter screen and a big truck filter under the body. Bad fuel will kill you diesel engine.

Cheers mate

--o

Wow...
Both of you guys have facebook or instagram so we can follow your builts?

Nice start to a build here! I'm another 1HDT diesel owner on the other side of the country. Like others, I have gone the Gturbo, PDI intercooler/highflow intake, Wholesale Automatics transmission route. These engines make rock crawling sooo easy. Feel free to reach out, if you have any questions I can answer! It's always good to know other diesel guys here in the States!

uStlOh1h.jpg

Nice start to a build here! I'm another 1HDT diesel owner on the other side of the country. Like others, I have gone the Gturbo, PDI intercooler/highflow intake, Wholesale Automatics transmission route. These engines make rock crawling sooo easy. Feel free to reach out, if you have any questions I can answer! It's always good to know other diesel guys here in the States!

uStlOh1h.jpg
Gorgeous truck! Thank you!

Hey mate,

Cheers mate

--o

I just joined overland bound actually! Seems like an amazing group. I’m excited to meet people and do events when this is all over.

do you recommend removing the ABS? Mine has been acting funny since I bought the truck. I recently removed the fuse and all problems were fixed. Thinking about removing but I’m also a fan of always keeping original equipment.

the truck did come with a marine diesel additional fuel filter that works well. Changed those filters recently.

one thing I would love is for an expert to lift my truck up and give it a solid once over... its hard to really know what needs to be done just based on forums and my limited new knowledge.

I just joined overland bound actually! Seems like an amazing group. I’m excited to meet people and do events when this is all over.

do you recommend removing the ABS? Mine has been acting funny since I bought the truck. I recently removed the fuse and all problems were fixed. Thinking about removing but I’m also a fan of always keeping original equipment.

the truck did come with a marine diesel additional fuel filter that works well. Changed those filters recently.

one thing I would love is for an expert to lift my truck up and give it a solid once over... its hard to really know what needs to be done just based on forums and my limited new knowledge.

Yes, I recommend removing the ABS. It will also clear space in the engine bay. Wits' End sells caps to replace the sensors and also the stainless braided lines.

Also a tip. If you need parts this is the best source in my opinion. They ship in a day or two and it gets here in 4 days. Shipping is less then sales tax in CA. And pricing is cheaper by far then the dealer if you can actually get the parts.

Yes, I recommend removing the ABS. It will also clear space in the engine bay. Wits' End sells caps to replace the sensors and also the stainless braided lines.

Also a tip. If you need parts this is the best source in my opinion. They ship in a day or two and it gets here in 4 days. Shipping is less then sales tax in CA. And pricing is cheaper by far then the dealer if you can actually get the parts.
Thank you thank you

Ok, maybe because of where I am, I also use DELO sometimes but it is 15W40 a diesel engine needs it heavier than 30...it comes standard with 15W40 over here...always...lets see...1HD-T is direct injection, so unless you are in a very cold weather, just start it up it should fire right away...so far, I am yet to even know if my glow plugs work or not (remember 17 years) you said that your oil temp is in the middle, maybe you are referring to the water temp, it means that the engine is getting old, but still has some more to go, as revealed by your oil preasure...I agree about the rock crawling, it is way too easy with this engine and an automatic transmission, btw, automatic gives better fuel mileage than manual...sweet spot for the engine is 1800 RPM there you will have enough power and not be using up too much fuel...now, to actually run, well, I have clocked mine up to 176 kph it will not give more than that, maybe due to tyres being heavy (315/75LT16) again, with an automativ transmission...mine has dual fuel tanks from factory, it is a blessing to just drive and not even think about the fuel.
I would suggest for you to download the FSM Landcruiser shop manualer there you will find your H151F also
And for when you have concerns Toyota Car & Auto Genuine OEM Parts for Sale | Online Store

Last edited:
Ok, maybe because of where I am, I also use DELO sometimes but it is 15W40 a diesel engine needs it heavier than 30...it comes standard with 15W40 over here...always...lets see...1HD-T is direct injection, so unless you are in a very cold weather, just start it up it should fire right away...so far, I am yet to even know if my glow plugs work or not (remember 17 years) you said that your oil temp is in the middle, maybe you are referring to the water temp, it means that the engine is getting old, but still has some more to go, as revealed by your oil preasure...I agree about the rock crawling, it is way too easy with this engine and an automatic transmission, btw, automatic gives better fuel mileage than manual...sweet spot for the engine is 1800 RPM there you will have enough power and not be using up too much fuel...now, to actually run, well, I have clocked mine up to 176 kph it will not give more than that, maybe due to tyres being heavy (315/75LT16) again, with an automativ transmission...mine has dual fuel tanks from factory, it is a blessing to just drive and not even think about the fuel.
I would suggest for you to download the FSM Landcruiser shop manualer there you will find your H151F also
And for when you have concerns Toyota Car & Auto Genuine OEM Parts for Sale | Online Store
You are right. My mistake. Got confused with our other vehicles. This is what we get at Costco on sale.

IMG_1753.JPG

Perfect! I was starting to doubt it already! hahahahah anyways, besides ABS delete (mine did not come with ABS) I would suggest LSPV delete also, being a 93 model not from USA I believe it may not have come with ABS...better to check the plaque...that is mine

tag.jpg

Perfect! I was starting to doubt it already! hahahahah anyways, besides ABS delete (mine did not come with ABS) I would suggest LSPV delete also, being a 93 model not from USA I believe it may not have come with ABS...better to check the plaque...that is mine
Yes, I took off all of it and got caps for the sensors. The axles look bald. Hated all that extra stuff there. The only computer I have on the vehicle is for the OEM lockers. I took off about 200 wires from the car after the conversion.

One thing I recommend is greasing the wheel bearings for a used purchased SUV. I lost a front wheel bearing in the Mojave a month a go. Lost a couple of years out of my life.
IMG_1413.jpg
IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG

This is great to know. I will swap over to 40w for my next change. Any reason I should run zinc additive or anything like that?

yes I meant water temp. It stays in dead center. I currently have 280k km on the truck but also have no clue what the maintenance history was... everything seems very well maintained, I will say.

thanks for all of the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom