Dual shock mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone sell a kit for installing dual shocks on the front of an FJ40? I've looked and haven't found anything. Looking at the stock front mounts, it almost looks like you could mount dual shocks if you removed the stud top and bottom and replaced it with a long bolt and some 1/4 spacers. Has anyone done this before or toher means of accomplishing it?

Also, I want to paint some aluminum checkerplate panels. Whats the correct primer to use so the paint sticks well to the aluminum? Something I can get in a rattle can and can find it at the local car parts store or Home Depot?

I'm running 37's and I have a lot of problem with front axle hop in some hill climb situations. I've seen a lot of the offroad racers and buggies with multi-shock setups and was wondering if there was an easy option for the front of a 40.

I'm running 37's and I have a lot of problem with front axle hop in some hill climb situations. I've seen a lot of the offroad racers and buggies with multi-shock setups and was wondering if there was an easy option for the front of a 40.
Kinda sounds like you need a anti wrap bar on the front, and maybe some race quality shocks. One per corner is enough if you have the right ones. Fox coilovers come to mind, but there are many options. What kind are you running now? John

dual shocks are not going to stop wheel hop.

Race cars have them to assist in dampening at speed and heat soak. If you are getting wheel hop then I would be looking more at anti wraps, leaf pack setup, load leafs, leaf arch, pinion angle etc.

i have dual front shocks - the mount was custom by PO - i'll take some pics so you can get an idea. just in case you still want them after looking into the above posts by those who know WAY more than I. but just in case.

I'm sure most of the wheel hop can be attributed to 37" tires, 6 psi pressure, slick rock surface and a grade thats probably too steep for a SWB rig like mine to climb. So it was more of a curious question since I've seen lots of quad shock setups on just about every type of 4x4 vehicle except FJ40's. Plus, I just happen to have an extra set of front shocks laying around so cheapness becomes a factor :hillbilly:. I would like to see your photos though, thanks.

completely forgot the pics by the time i got home. :)princess: had me make dinner)
i'll have the phone remind me since i have to change plugs, too.

b

Thats looks like exactly what I was thinking of doing: Pull the stud out of the top & bottom mount and replace with a long bolt putting a shock on either side. Thanks for the pic's!

Thats looks like exactly what I was thinking of doing: Pull the stud out of the top & bottom mount and replace with a long bolt putting a shock on either side. Thanks for the pic's!

no problem.

just keep in mind that the original shock mounts were replaced with the fabbed, longer ones

Does anyone sell a kit for installing dual shocks on the front of an FJ40? I've looked and haven't found anything. Looking at the stock front mounts, it almost looks like you could mount dual shocks if you removed the stud top and bottom and replaced it with a long bolt and some 1/4 spacers. Has anyone done this before or toher means of accomplishing it?

I've had the dual shock setup on my '71 since 1982 I believe I got them from either M-A-F or Downey Toyota (now defunct?) Still use the original Monroes I bought at the time of installation. Also I have the overload coil shocks on the rear that Man a Fre sold back then. Still working great. Stock springs. Rear end has never sagged and the front end is right up there too. Still running my tall & skinny BFG 33x9.50/15 MT's still maintains good clearance.. I guess it's an old school thing... I am currently shopping for front replacement shocks, going to stay with the duals. I've travelled all over the Rockies on logging/mining trails and cruised over some of those access roads pretty fast and the old Cruiser has always been very stable and takes the bumps well. BTY I did have to cut a little of the inner fender at the top of the shock mounts to fit in the duals. Currently painting the FJ, the old front shocks are just so ugly with layers of old paint, easier to replace than to pull them, clean and repaint. But damn it's got to be time for some shiny new gas shocks up there!

ran them back in the 70s they made a kit but with all the new shocks they are not needed .its only cheap now eventually you will have 4 to replace why not one good one

I fully agree with both lcwizard & shelfboy, an FJ40 is not the ideal off road race vehicle, you will probably never boil the oil in your shocks, even the actual racers are now going to single (gigantic oil capacity) shocks. Just get a good set of single shocks, big body or Billy front, ultra soft anything on the rear.

dual shocks are intended as a cure for overheating. Generally if a single shock is heating up in a race situation
you can go to dual shocks, each with half the damping, and cut the work load in half per shock. Half the work load , half the heat......approximately

This. ^^^ I doubt the shocks you have around have "half the damping". You need some math and science, not some :hillbilly: welding and such.

Captn Conch,
I'm sure that the original poster would appreciate your response to his 2009 query, but he hasn't been to this site since 2011 and for all we know he may have croaked, or bought a jeep.
;)

^^^^ The tech department of any good shock manufacturer knows their product (not the local tire guy) and will be happy to help you figure out the right shock for your application. Bilstein was VERY helpful when I was looking for new shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom