Dual Battery setup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@McDuff123 I did actually add a 1 AMP diode as outlined in some youtube videos. Has anyone checked long term on how to maintain the AGM batteries. Is the Diode enough to get it charged? (I saw a voltage of 14.31 when I started the truck with the diode installed).

@McDuff123 I did actually add a 1 AMP diode as outlined in some youtube videos. Has anyone checked long term on how to maintain the AGM batteries. Is the Diode enough to get it charged? (I saw a voltage of 14.31 when I started the truck with the diode installed).
Here are the numbers that I recorded…
WITHOUT DIODE
12.56 engine off
14.27 engine on

WITH DIODE
14.86 engine on

hope this helps

Any concerns about replacing a fuse with a non-fusable link (diode)? Seems like that circuit would no longer have over-current protection. DIY Speed Garage recently showed a product, that while more expensive than a diode, retains the fuse and allows voltage boost selection. Anyone use that, or a similar product?

Any concerns about replacing a fuse with a non-fusable link (diode)? Seems like that circuit would no longer have over-current protection. DIY Speed Garage recently showed a product, that while more expensive than a diode, retains the fuse and allows voltage boost selection. Anyone use that, or a similar product?

The HKB Electronics version I ordered was their MK3 diode.
Their site describes it as having a “PTC electronic fuse”, and they state that this offers “unparalleled circuit protection”.
My knowledge of circuits etc is quite limited, so it’s all I can do to quote marketing material😂.
Hopefully this make sense to you (and double-hopefully, it works as advertised if circuit protection s ever needed).

Last edited:
The HKB Electronics version I ordered was their MK3 diode.
Their site describes it as having a “PTC electronic fuse”, and they state that this offers “unparalleled circuit protection”.

Good to know. I wasn't familiar with PTCs, but it looks like they definitely provide protection that auto-resets. Swapping the fuse for a diode to charge AGMs always seemed a bit sketchy. Reminded me of stories about people fixing old school home fuses by putting a quarter under them. Glad that's not the case.

Builds - 2018 Premium 460 build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2018-premium-460-build.1194757/page-10 Post 190. dual battery and electrical here.

Two group 24 batteries. One in stack location and other in the cabin.

Yes two batteries in the stock location of a Taco will crack the fender apron (2nd gen) and stress the spot welds and crack the radiator core support (1st gen).
So far, dual batteries in stock location has been okay. The only issues that I noted before is the dual battery mount that was fabricated for my rig came detached. I was able to re mount it with larger fender washers using better attachment points. Been good since!
Had the same setup in my 100 series LC, also no issues.
Have not seen any issues as you noted with the 4R's.

That is only a measurement / sensing circuit and has very low power draw - which is why the stock fuse is only 1A if I remember right. A diode will burn out (like a fuse...) if any significant current is put through it - so a failure like a grounding of that wire would be protected anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom