Drowning in oil... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
New to me FJ60 - I'll do an intro and start a build thread shortly, but have a question:

84 FJ60 - massive oil leak. I drove it about 50 miles today, and had to add a few quarts of oil after 50 miles.

I have a new oil seal for the front crank pulley. It's hard for me to believe that this amount of oil could be leaking from that one seal.

So, after reading many oil leak threads, I have a question (that may, or may not, be related):

Where does this hose go?

IMG_1455.jpg

That hose should go to the distributor cap. On my engine it is a 1/4" hose.

Hi, Look at the rear seal and side gasket behind dist. And oil cooler hose. Mike

Where that hose is supposed to connect to is at the bottom of your to-do list. It's part of the distributor venting circuit. It looks like you're missing the vacuum control valve that it connects to. The thread below has more than you'd ever want to know about the valve and distributor venting. (It is kinda important).

Distributor cap vent VCV issue

But the big issue is all the oil gushing out. Take a look at the passenger side of the cylinder head up near the back & top. There's a (or should be) a metal plug that's in a recessed hole: The infamous Oil Galley Plug. It can work loose and oil then gushes out.

There's a lot of info here about it - maybe that's the problem. If not, it probably will be one down the line.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threadloom/search?query=Oil galley plug&tab=397&page=2

Hi, Look at the rear seal and side gasket behind dist. And oil cooler hose. Mike

PO recently replaced the oil pan gasket and side cover gasket.

Where that hose is supposed to connect to is at the bottom of your to-do list. It's part of the distributor venting circuit. It looks like you're missing the vacuum control valve that it connects to. The thread below has more than you'd ever want to know about the valve and distributor venting. (It is kinda important).

Distributor cap vent VCV issue

But the big issue is all the oil gushing out. Take a look at the passenger side of the cylinder head up near the back & top. There's a (or should be) a metal plug that's in a recessed hole: The infamous Oil Galley Plug. It can work loose and oil then gushes out.

There's a lot of info here about it - maybe that's the problem. If not, it probably will be one down the line.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threadloom/search?query=Oil galley plug&tab=397&page=2

Thanks, I have read up on the oil galley plug, and was hoping that was the issue. However, it's completely dry around that area.

I believe the oil is coming from the front main seal or the timing cover gasket. It's ridiculous how much oil gets thrown around. It hits the fan and covers the bottom of the engine, and flips up the back and coats the entire back of the truck...guess it's a good rust preventive.

BTW, here's where that hose is actually supposed to go (as per OSS's VCV/distributor venting circuit comment)

in orange for easier viewing...

View attachment 1778053
So it does not go to the dizzy, it goes to the VCV, which I am missing...thanks a ton!!!

I'm missing hose 15777, in this picture...which I am guessing could be the culprit for spewing oil everywhere?

View attachment 1778054

No, those lines carry coolant that cools the oil.
See how it taps into the thermostat housing and
water pump...

So it does not go to the dizzy, it goes to the VCV, which I am missing...thanks a ton!!!

Yeah, judging by the duct tape on the air cleaner port...and the other vacuum
hose realities, you have yourself a relatively hack-job desmog.

But never fear, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. It's just not visible yet.

No, those lines carry coolant that cools the oil.
See how it taps into the thermostat housing and
water pump...

You just crushed my dreams...

You just crushed my dreams...

Oh, you'll be dreaming about it for awhile, they just won't be very warm, fuzzy dreams. ;)
Wait until you see the Oxford-Dictionary-esque size of the Desmog thread you're going
to need to read a couple times...

Oh, you'll be dreaming about it for awhile, they just won't be very warm, fuzzy dreams. ;)
Wait until you see the Oxford-Dictionary-esque size of the Desmog thread you're going
to need to read a couple times...

A hack desmog, indeed. I started reading that thread a few days ago, but decided I should focus on the oil leaks so I can actually drive it.

Even with a hack desmog and leaking like a sieve, she runs beautifully and purrs like a kitten!

That said, the oil pressure gauge reads less than halfway to the first line - so maybe 1/4? Oil doesn't leak much unless I'm driving it...and I lose a significant amount (quarts every 20 miles).

I've tightened the oil pan bolts and side cover bolts.

Is it possible for that much oil to be leaking through the crank seal or timing cover?

Is it possible for that much oil to be leaking through the crank seal or timing cover?
Yes. There's a cork gasket for the timing cover and if there's a big enough crack in it you could certainly see lots of oil spilling from there.

Clean and degrease it, fire it up and inspect for leaks. Hard to find an oil leak when everything is covered in oil.
I did just this...the problem is that it doesn't leak much unless it's under load. Maybe I'll have the wife sit in it and rev it while I lay underneath...:eek:

I have an 83 and had a massive leak when I first got it and assumed from reading on the forum that it was the Oil Galley Plug. After some investigation it ended up being a welch plug on the front of the engine. Much like the oil galley plug it is pressed in the front of the engine and can shoot oil onto the fan. Design was on early 2Fs. Here is the link on that problem so you can check yours.

Oil Galley Plug??? '83FJ60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom