Drop in MPG... yep, another mileage thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
First off... sorry.
Second... I know, I know - don't calculate the damn MPGs.

Okay, back on topic. I bought my '06 a long time ago - it was 4 yrs old with 39,000 mlles. Stock, I got 17++ MPG. But stock didn't last long. 33s, steel wheels. bumper, winch, lift. Initially, the MPG-sapping mods (still worth it), dropped the MPGs to 16 - always around 15.7-16.2... for a while. But those numbers have been steadily dropping. Now, with the same mods, and 176,000 miles, she's getting around 14 MPG. I've checked that a bunch this summer - lots of long highway drives.

Note: I don't use the 100's computer; I base calcs on the fuel burned, e.g. full tank, zero-out tripometer, drive, refill, etc. Also, I'm assuming 1.07% underreporting on the mileage - 33s

I know the 100's not new anymore. But, 176k on a Land Cruiser 4.7 is hardly high mileage. What maintenance, "tune up" elements might have legit benefits for a still young... but "aging" 100?

First off... sorry.

Okay, back on topic. I bought my '06 a long time ago - it was 4 yrs old with 39,000 mlles. Stock, I got 17++ MPG. But stock didn't last long. 33s, steel wheels. bumper, winch, lift. Initially, the MPG-sapping mods (still worth it), dropped the MPGs to 16 - always around 15.7-16.2... for a while. But those numbers have been steadily dropping. Now, with the same mods, and 176,000 miles, she's getting around 14 MPG. I've checked that a bunch this summer - lots of long highway drives.

Note: I don't use the 100's computer; I base calcs on the fuel burned, e.g. full tank, zero-out tripometer, drive, refill, etc. Also, I'm assuming 1.07% underreporting on the mileage - 33s

I know the 100's not new anymore. But, 176k on a Land Cruiser 4.7 is hardly high mileage. What maintenance, "tune up" elements might have legit benefits for a still young... but "aging" 100?
Could be more additives in gas, or needing a bit of a tune up as you mentioned. Tire pressure has a big effect on mine - old tires (particularly tires with cupping) impact mileage. If your alignment feels at all off, it has an effect.

For tune up I find pulling the battery cable and resetting things occasionally helps. Clean MAF, check plugs and replace any fatigued coils. I do air filters every 15k as Colorado is dusty/wildfire smoke many months of the year and run two bottles of whatever injector cleaner through once a year and replace fuel filter if you never have. Probably more you can do but generally I find those cheap things help. Strong Spark, Well Atomized Fuel, Lots of Clean Air and you should be good to go (so long as the computer is reset to adjust to it).

I vote for fuel additives. I topped up with 100% gasoline at windrock over the weekend and noticed a pretty significant increase in my mileage onthe return trip home.

Interestingly, I had a huge service done a few weeks back that *could* have been a net positive for fuel mileage, but it's actually decreased. Summer blend fuels or some Pol grasping at straws to keep gallons cheaper. Idk, but it sucks.

14 sounds about right, that’s my average.

14 mpg is pretty good.

Best I managed was 15mpg in NYC metro area. I have Dissent front and rear bumpers, and rack with sliders. On my way to Florida, I managed 16mpg going at 63-65 mph. Mine is a 2001 LC, so not the updated engine and still a 4 speed.

I also think Liqui-Moly Ceratec helped with the mpg improvement

sorry to piggyback, but how are you all feeling about this E15 gas news? Ok for these older hundys? Was reading it’s safe for 2001 vehicles and up

sorry to piggyback, but how are you all feeling about this E15 gas news? Ok for these older hundys? Was reading it’s safe for 2001 vehicles and up
The 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser disagrees
248E82AE-F3D3-4697-B47D-9B093EA6087A.jpeg

Mostly city driving right? Short dives too? Add BG 44 K - 2 cans to a full tank to clean injectors- and fuel system- do that annually or semi annually.

Try ethanol free and see if that makes any difference. They’ve been blending slightly more ethanol into fuel recently - its more than the stated 10% and that will chip away at mileage

Clean MAF: Disconnect neg- batt lead (15min min) , clean MAF sensor- reconnect and drive for a week or two and see if that makes a difference. Giving it time to relearn A\F ratios. Check and clean throttle body. Check PCV. Check FPR.

For ref I’m getting 14.1 @ 6400 lbs and 34.5” M/T’s driving through the city to and from airport every day. With a/c on 13.9 with a/c off 14.6

First off... sorry.

33's are about 7% different in circumference. An AT probably has significantly more rolling resistance as well. Those steel wheels aren't doing any favors. Add all that up and I think that accounts for ~10%. Add the weight of the bumper and the significant aero detractions of the lift and I'm a bit shocked you can still manage 14 MPG.

1655386338800.png

Beyond that, the following come to mind:
Air filter
Upstream O2 sensors (small offsets/errors in those can yield a big change that's awfully hard to see until the sensor outright fails).
Fuel tank seals
Evap
Air leaks in the intake

Given all the crap gas I have put through my 100 in central and South America, including most likely very high alcohol content Brazilian gas, i have never had an issue. But that was not long term use.

thanks guys. @suprarx7nut, my calcs - the 16 vs 14.5 are based on the same setup. You're right - the wheels, tires, lift, bumper... cost me a solid 1mpg. And your calc on tire circumstance matches mine - 7%. That's what I've been using, e.g., multiplying the stated miles by 1.07.

FWIW....

Last month we went from Asheville to Wilmington to start our vacation, roughly 320 miles.

Just the two of us in our 2000 LC, on 33s and the average was 15.1MPG at say an average speed of 65-70ish. A/C on constantly!

We started the trip with a full tank of non-ethanol 93 and I use 93 if I can.

Now deflated to 18-PSI and slow rolling over Ocracoke Island and on the beach and we averaged about 8-9.

I use a ScanGuageII to monitor trans and engine temps but I calculate by trip miles/fill-up reset trip-A and always fill up.

About two years ago I did replace all eight coil packs with new Denso units as three were off-brand and I was doing the cam position and crank position sensors also.

WAIT for it!!!!!?????

Truck just turned over 467,000...

That was all downhill - from 2,200' feet to sea level. ;)
Seriously though - that's awesome you're getting that kind of performance from a half-million-mile truck!

Last edited:
FWIW....

Last month we went from Asheville to Wilmington to start our vacation, roughly 320 miles.

Just the two of us in our 2000 LC, on 33s and the average was 15.1MPG at say an average speed of 65-70ish. A/C on constantly!

We started the trip with a full tank of non-ethanol 93 and I use 93 if I can.

Now deflated to 18-PSI and slow rolling over Ocracoke Island and on the beach and we averaged about 8-9.

I use a ScanGuageII to monitor trans and engine temps but I calculate by trip miles/fill-up reset trip-A and always fill up.

About two years ago I did replace all eight coil packs with new Denso units as three were off-brand and I was doing the cam position and crank position sensors also.

WAIT for it!!!!!?????

Truck just turned over 467,000...
matches my data....

My aging 06 LX has the following:
•260k miles
•16 yrs old
•No roof rack/rail
•275/70R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3 @ 34PSI on all four corners and same at the factory spare.
•Dissent alum front bar with stinger (small center loop), winch not installed yet.
•Dissent aluminum full skid plate.
•Factory rear ABS plastic rear bumper.
•Custom weld-on step sliders.
•Did a drain and fill using OEM oil filter and Motul 300V 5W30 2 days ago (zero mileage prior to trip).

Las Vegas NV to San Diego CA was at 79 MPH cruising speed, we arrived to Coronado Beach with 365 miles on the Trip meter and 1/8 left the gauge left, info screen says I averaged 14.1 MPG. Getting out of Vegas to Socal has a lot of a steep uphills but still maintained my cruising speed, needed to make up lost time -I think this impacted the low mpg plus the fact it was in the high 80 degrees in those areas.

I then filled her up at Costco SD before leaving for Irvine. From San Diego CA to Irvine CA (approx 80+ miles) @ 67 MPH (tops) cruising speed and upon arrival at our destination, this is what I averaged:

F627E402-2B3F-4BBE-9006-3C8104FE89FA.jpeg
16.5 MPG. I would say I’m happy.
Disregard the 45mph reading and the gear status on the OBD Fusion screen, time of the picture was that the app lagged because I just launched it.

65-70 MPH I think is the proven sweet spot for the 2UZ, at least from my experience trying out different speeds/topography.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom